New
Find
Notify
Tools

M70 rumor
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One of the attendants at the local bass pro told me that Browning was actively working on getting the m70 into production, and that they were going to discontinue the A-bolt afterwords. Of course, he also told me that he owned every caliber of pre-64 supergrade ever produced and that he only worked at bass pro to fund his obsession (and the 18 safaris that he claims to have been on). That aside, has anyone heard anything recently about the possible return of the M70?

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there was an oblique reference to the restart of production of the M70 action in an article in the current issue of Rifle Shooter. The article was a review of the FN SPR and PBR tactical rifles, which are built on the M70 action. Here are the first and second to last paragraphs of that article:

Okay, if these rifles are really modified Model 70 Winchesters, where are the actions being made? They aren't being made. Not now. New Haven's factory closure in March 2006 put an end to the SPR and PBR supply as surely as it finished the M70.
"But we knew about that a long time before it happened," says [Richard] DeMilt[ FNH USA's sales and marketing director.] "We stockpiled actions to meet contracts and expected demand. We have enough until we get our Carolina plant tooled up to build them."

(edits and emphasis added)

The rest of the article had no information expounding on this. But it sure sounds like a new, non-union plant will be opening in the south in the near future.

As to the discontinuing of the A Bolt, I would be shocked. Browning has a cult-like following, the rifles are very nice, and sell at a price point higher than the Winchester's average. Our local gunstire is a large A Bolt dealer, and he sells quite a few to the crowd that wants a little better factory gun.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had heard the theory that browning would restart production on the m70, but that was definitely the first time that I had heard that they might discontinue the a-bolt. Like you say, there seems to be a pretty big market for them.

Posts: 102 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would be amazed if the A-bolt ever goes anywhere. It is consistently one of, if not the biggest seller for gun dealers selling to 'normal' buyers. They are typically very accurate, and offered in an array of popular calibers and models, and as another poster mentioned, have a cult like following.

Around various deer camps in the south I have been to, most of the members ooh and ahh when one of the gang gets a new A-bolt, which happens at least a few times every season.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John55:
One of the attendants at the local bass pro told me that Browning was actively working on getting the m70 into production, and that they were going to discontinue the A-bolt afterwords. Of course, he also told me that he owned every caliber of pre-64 supergrade ever produced and that he only worked at bass pro to fund his obsession (and the 18 safaris that he claims to have been on). That aside, has anyone heard anything recently about the possible return of the M70?

next time you talk to him ask him about Rosewell.
If your polite he might show you the pictures...

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I recently spoke to someone at Winchester Customer service.. and just made the statement, that many of their customers would love to see the Model 70s and 94s back in production...

Winchester is not out of business.. it is just not making anything in the New Haven plant anymore...

But what their customer service rep told me was that they are under a court agreement to not manufacture any firearms that had been made at New Haven for a period of 24 months after the closing of the plant....

She further stated "Winchester gets tons of calls from customers still wanting Model 70s and Model 94s.. and we want to be making them again... we just can't for a period of 24 months, and 13 of those months have now passed...just stay tuned is all I can say to you now sir.."

So 2009's production period, that agreement of 24 months with the closed factory's union is satisfied...Winchester is alive and kicking... just not with Model 70s for the time being, nor with Model 94s.. but you can bet that will change in 2009....

now if we can just hope Hillary doesn't get elected in 2009 to screw it all up....

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks seafire2!

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks seafire

one of us
Picture of fireball168
posted Hide Post
I was told about the same thing three weeks or so ago when calling for parts.

Interestingly enough, some parts that were obsolete are now either inventoried or have potential release dates....

Posts: 1332 | Location: IN | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
LWD, read the SAME article Saturday. Also, SHOT show rep advised what Seafire said, both Winchester and Browning, 2 year NO MFG anywhere, after that, fair game. Disc. the abolt? That is news to me, not heard it.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
guys, this is the straight dope!

As I was walking past the homeless shelter the other day, I guy called me over. While he was a bit intoxicated, he swears he saw and spoke with Oliver Winchester himself. Seems that the goverment has been keeping him alive at a top secret nuclear research faclity hidden somewhere in Sierra Nevada mountains. Oliver intends to bring back the Model 70, only this time it will made of the same top secret carbon fiber material that covers our stealth bombers and the new rifles will only weigh one pound, two pounds with a scope and rings. One of the nicer new features is that it will be capable of shooting around corners! The guy who told me all this swears he has confirmed it with the CIA.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Tex21
posted Hide Post
Winchester is probably doing with the M70 amd M94 what GM does with the Camaro and Firebird:

Discontinue it for a few years, reintroduce them to much fanfare, and sell the sh*t out of them.

Nothing like an scarcity to create demand for something you're having trouble selling.

Jason

"Chance favors the prepared mind."

Posts: 1449 | Location: Dallas, Texas | Registered: 24 February 2004Reply With Quote