Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 700 SPS SS
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Good Evening Gentlemen,

Does anyone have an experience with the rifle mentioned in the title?

There’s an online sale at one of the dealers here. However, being in the current situation of ‘lockdown’ I won’t be able to physically examine the rifle.

Would welcome thoughts on the stock, out of box accuracy and general fit and finish.

Posts: 376 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
I would want to know manufacture date. With Remingtons, the older it is, the better the quality. The current made product is not as good as 10 years ago and that not as good as 10 years before that YMMV though.

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have several of the SS SPS Remingtons in different calibres. They all shoot good. I have an older 300 Rum that shoots 180 TTSX bullets just under an inch @ 100 yds. A 7 mm STW that was crechambered from a 7mm Rem that shoots 140 gr TTSX bullets into 3/4 in @ 100 yds and I have a late model in 300 Win that I picked up in a trade that shoots 165 gr bullets into 5/8 in groups @ 100 yds. I have no issues with any of the factory triggers. Not sure what else I could reasonably ask for out of a rifle in that price range. Hope that helps

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
I would want to know manufacture date. With Remingtons, the older it is, the better the quality. The current made product is not as good as 10 years ago and that not as good as 10 years before that YMMV though.

+ 1

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.

Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

Posts: 697 | Location: Dublin, Georgia | Registered: 19 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I agree with this statement but even the brand-new ones can be good, solid, accurate shooters.... and they're really awesome if blue-printed and a sweet custom barrel installed. LOL
But yes, I generally agree with that statement.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses guys. Unfortunately I let it slide. Too many concerns.

Zeke,

That would have been a great idea. Our country laws will probably make it impossible to do!

Posts: 376 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I had one until my older son collared it and still has it. Was not the stainless model just the blued SPS earlier model. Accurate, a little heavy, gritty feel to the action and trigger still heavy even when lightened off as much as possible on the adjustment.
My Marlin XS eats the Remington, light, factory fluted bolt glides like on ice, perfect light crisp trigger with no creep and accurate as any. Only downside to some is the blind magazine but I wouldn't have any other type now after using the Marlin, just really grown on me.
There is far better than the Rem SPS out there.

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Got my 7mm-08 seconded handed. This model has the hinged floor place. The rifle now has a Leupold 3x9 scope. Shoots great and is a keeper. It's a rifle the haters hate. There has been no unintentional discharge, detached bolt handle or broken extractor.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillR:
Got my 7mm-08 seconded handed. This model has the hinged floor place. The rifle now has a Leupold 3x9 scope. Shoots great and is a keeper. It's a rifle the haters hate. There has been no unintentional discharge, detached bolt handle or broken extractor.

Well at least you've got something to look forward to Big Grin

Posts: 3826 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a remington sps, but blued no stainless in 223. Shoots well. A bit crude in terms of finish but nothing that a bit of 600 and 1200 emery cloth applied With a bit of elbow grease to the feed rails didn’t sort out. The xmark Pro trigger is perfectly usable and adjustable. The SPS plastic stock is, well, plastic and can be swapped out, or filled with bedding if you can be bothered, but it shoots well enough without.

Mine is a left handed 223 that had been sitting on dealers shelf and made a cheeky offer which he accepted. For the price i paid very happy. But I wouldn’t pay list price for one.

Posts: 979 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I disagree completely. I build a lot of rifles on Remington actions and the new ones are much straighter than the older ones. The finish is not as good but when you have to compete against some of these other manufacturers you gotta cut corners somewhere.

Posts: 41762 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote