Find
Notify
Tools

Weatherby value?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted
I found a used Weatherby Vanguard in 30-06. It's in a beautiful wood stock and looks to be in very good shape.
I don't remember the details but I remember that there are several different Weatherby rifles made in different countries, and some are more desireable than others.
I don't remember the city but I read the stamp on the barrel showing it was made in California.
Can someone give mne an approximate value? It has a Bushnell Banner scope on it, so that doesn't figure ito the value much.

Jim

NRA Life Member

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Vanguards are made by Howa. $450 would probably be a fair price for it in that caliber. They're not the beauty queens that the Mark V's are.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
If it was a Mark V I wouldn't have hesitated. It's in a pawn shop and they are asking $359.00, which is very close to what they are going for on the auction sites.
If I can figure a way to buy it outright I will probably take it. I have a Weatherby Premium 3x9x44 scope that looks like it was made for it. This scope came on a Savage 110 .270 that I paid $200.00 for the rifle and scope.

Jim

NRA Life Member

Posts: 152 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 18 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Wal-mart has been selling them for years for $388.

I personally wouldn't give a dime over $300 for the rifle in question. They are often in gun shops around here and they don't pull much at all when used. Even the MkVs don't pull much here. I bought a used but never fired in 100% condition MkV for $550 at our local shop.

If it's something you just gotta have, buy it, what's 60 bucks gonna hurt on a "must have" item.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
spend the extra and get a new one. most pawn shop guns are someones problem that they dumped.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The $388 ones from Wal-Mart have the plastic stock. Wood stocked ones are somewhat higher.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
How much does the wood stock add to the value?
I am a sucker for a steal, but this is starting to look like an average price so I'll probably pass.

Jim

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
$ 359 would be a good price for a Weatherby Vanguard deluxe. Vanguards were never made in California. Vangurds are similar in design, function, and accuracy to a rem 700. New they go for $650-$700. Throw away the Simmons scope, put a decent scope on it and you will have a good hunter.

As for MkVs, their value varies greatly by their country of origin. Japanese mk Vs seem to be the lowest valued. Germans are valued higher. And the highest valued are old and modern American actions. Modern US actions are made by SACO (makers of the M60) and are quite good in fit and finish.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
Big Bore Boar Hunter, if I do buy the rifle I will ditch the scope. What made me even think about it is the Weatherby Premium scope I have that came on a Savage 110 I bought earlier this year.

Jim

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
I found a Weatherby rifle on an auction site. It is a Vanguard Package. What is interesting is that it is in 30-06 and comes with a Bushnell Banner scope.
Were these package rifles the ones sold at Wal Mart?
Are they better than, worse than or the same as any other Vanguard?

Jim

NRA Life Member

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMO, the Vanguard VGX Deluxe is worth the price being asked. I have a 300Wby in this model which I purchased a dozen years ago. I know I wouldn't sell mine that cheaply as I like it too much. It is a solid shooter that is pleasant to the eye and not hard on the wallet. Buy it... if it isn't your cup of tea, you can flip it for no loss on your part.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Pepperbelly, the Vanguards I've seen at Wal-Mart haven't been "packages." I put a Bushnell scope on mine.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
Is this a Deluxe since it has a wood stock?
Jim

NRA Life Member

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Deluxw will have a gloss stock, rosewood forend cap and grip cap, and a good figure to the walnut. The other model would be the vanguard sporter, Satin finish, less figure to the wood, and no caps.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pepperbelly
posted Hide Post
With your description and some pics I found on an auction site I believe this is a Vanguard Deluxe.
I will find a way to get it unless a friend beats me to it.
I told a young man I work with about it. His girlfriend, bless her heart, bought him a rifle for deer season. It is a POS. I told him about this since he needs it more than I do.
If he does get it I guess I will be buying a trigger for the Savage 110 .270 I found this summer instead.

Jim

NRA Life Member