The Accurate Reloading Forums
Strange primers

This topic can be found at:
https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3221043/m/271105947

22 October 2007, 00:01
RobinB
Strange primers
I was sizing some 44 mag cases. They were factory loads fired from a Taurus Tracker 2 1/2".

Of the box of 50, three appearde to have "double strikes". Any idea what caused this or if there is cause for concern?

Rob

22 October 2007, 00:10
Cheechako
Rob

The off-center strike is most likely because the cylinder was no locked in position. The cartridge evidently fired on the second attempt.

Yes it is cause for alarm. The cylinder is obviously not locking in position which means that the bullet, in the event the cartridge fired, would be a 1/16" or so off center and would spit a lot of jacket as it tried to center itself in the forcing cone. Someone who knows how to fix this should be able to make the necessary adjustments.

Ray

Arizona Mountains
22 October 2007, 06:37
RobinB
I never experienced any misfires. The first time I noticed anything amiss was when I was resizing them.
22 October 2007, 06:47
Cheechako
Well then, I don't know what to tell you.

Ray

Arizona Mountains
22 October 2007, 20:09
N. Garrett
Rob,

Send those photos (good macro shots, btw) via email to the technicians at Taurus.

Chances are they have seen them before, and know what's causing it.
I've never seen an impression like that on a primer before.
Is there any extra metal or burr on the face of the revolver frame adjacent to the firing pin?
I think the newer Taurus pistols use a transfer bar, yes?

Garrett
22 October 2007, 22:54
butchloc
holy chit batman - you have a quick trigger finger Big Grin lefty
23 October 2007, 01:33
Ricochet
Bouncing hammer with recoil?

(Combined with slight cylinder rotation, perhaps caused by the partial recocking of the hammer?)

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."
23 October 2007, 02:21
Dogface
The size of the indentation decreases from the first to the third primer. Could a small piece of dirt been embedded near the pin cause the mark?

Is it still making the mark?