THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    7X57 bullet Penetration - Heavy ballistic tips and medium weight interlocks

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7X57 bullet Penetration - Heavy ballistic tips and medium weight interlocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted
Gun and each ammo was first sighted in 1.5" high at 100 yards.

Here are the results at 200 yards on this 3/8" thick steel plate.

166 grain Hornady aluminum tipped boat tails. Bullets appeared to disintigrate on impact. See group of 4 on right.

Hornady Light Magnums in 139 grain BTSP Interloks.
Same distance, 200 yards. The lower shot was held dead on. Higher hit was made using the second crosshair/300 yard.

Happy hunting this fall!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What happens to a bullet when hitting steel plate has no relationship to how it well preform on a animal.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
R

on steel velocity is the factor over 3000 causes much more damage than a larger bullet A 2500

Posts: 13439 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
True pdog. Nothing beats testing on actual game. Still, penetration on a steel plate is not to be taken lightly in my opinion. Next time, shoulder shot with the hot 139 'semi-partition' (made that up).. I'll get to test this theory within a month or so with a bit of luck. Stay tuned.
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
What happens to a bullet when hitting steel plate has no relationship to how it well preform on a animal.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
short of fun and games, all these test are old curmudgeon nonsense, self included..

The Nosler Accubond is the bullet everyone should settle on in a 7x57 and most others..Ive had great luck with them on the 7x57, 30-06, 338 win, 8mm-06 and 8mm-06 Ackley so much so that I have turned my back on my beloved partition for the most part..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Winchester ballistic tips are soft bullets. My little 7mm TCU with 140 grain lubralox coated(black) ballistic tips over 31 grains of 2230 at 2,365 ft/sec would not properly penetrate the grisel plate of two different boar hogs. I loss them both but I found their bones later after the yotes brought them out of the dense yopon holley brush. That little 223 case blown out with the sharp shoulder and necked up is very efficient. Isn't that what the new 350 legend uses as it's case?

Posts: 190 | Location: rockdale, texas | Registered: 01 October 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 350 Legend has no "parent" case. It's newly designed. It does however share the same rim dia as the 223.

Posts: 682 | Location: South Pacific NW | Registered: 09 January 2021Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Interesting how the lighter SP penetrated more then the heavier tipped slugs. It appears that the tipped bullets performed more like a varmint bullet even in spite of their mass. Any idea what your velocities were?

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you wanted a hole in them steel plates the 220 swift would happily put them in there for you.

I done the same test only with some old WW-2 M-1 Garand black tip [penetrating stuff] and the swift one day out messing around.
I got about the same dimples you got from the interlock's with the 0-6 stuff, and nice clean holes from the little 22.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its all about velocity on steel plate, a worthless endevor unless you see a charging tank.

My 220 swift with a 45 gr. bullet at 4100 plus will melt a hole in that steel..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Since the 166's were home loaded on the hot side, I'd guess 2,500 fps at the muzzle.
The factory LM Hornady's say 2830 on the box. So, 2,750 anyway.

Worthless endeavour. C'mon Ray. Really? Yer jerkin' my chain.
What's next? A deer ain't gonna be carrying a steel plate 'round the woods. jumping

quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
Interesting how the lighter SP penetrated more then the heavier tipped slugs. It appears that the tipped bullets performed more like a varmint bullet even in spite of their mass. Any idea what your velocities were?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have seen what a swift will do on a steel plate.
It is eye opening.

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Its all about velocity on steel plate, a worthless endevor unless you see a charging tank.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:

Amen.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
139 grainers were put to the test on a live whitetail deer at 235 yards. Shot went straight through the body behind the lung area. Entry and exit wound were the same diameter. Heart and liver were unaffected. I'll be switching back to the fangible bullets for whiteys later in the month.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a recent hunt a clients son used a 7x57 exclusively and shot sable, zebra, waterbuck, kudu wildebeest and a bunch of other stuff all with it. Most of them were 1 shot kills. The 11 year old kid can shoot......

Posts: 2531 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Heart and liver were unaffected.

They did not have a hole in them and the animal did not die.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Correct. Missed heart and liver and lungs by mm's. Inny and outy were the same diameter. Bullets did not expand a bit. The other hunter shook the truck twice as I was about to fire my frst shot. After that, I got the shakes. 1 body shot and 2 leg shots brought him down. But, he was still upright. Finished him at 20 inches. Very humbling. Should have been a one shot deal. That body shot would have killed him with a frangible bullet. I was right on the shoulder blade and one second from firing calmly when the truck shook.

One of Us
Picture of jkingrph
posted Hide Post
Never tried any penetration with a small cal on a steel plate. I still have some left over 30-06 military armor piercing ammo and have no doubt as to what it would do. Some years ago my then brother in law wanted to see what my .458 Win mag would do on a big piece of 5/8 boiler plate he had propped up behind some big roll hay bales for a bullet stop. We got a clear shot to a spot on the boiler plate and hit it from about 50 yards with either a 400 or 450 gr Barnes all copper hollow point. That bullet made a clean hole all the way through and actually transferred the rifleing pattern from my rifle bore to the hole it created. That's been 20+ years ago, so no idea what the load was, but the muzzle velocity was probably 2300-2400 fps

JJK

Posts: 299 | Location: E. Texas, NE Louisiana | Registered: 10 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well yeah, I was jerking your chain a bit, but your a goodguy and can take a little chain jerking not and then... rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
of course .....

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Back to the frangible 166's for PA deer this year. Different gun. 7X57R. Cheers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I settled on 175 grain round nose Hornady bullets for the 7x57 years ago. Have always liked the results.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
I'm working up a load for the 160 NP in mine. I expect good results.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had a 7X57, but have used a 280 for years and have shot a few deer with it. I have used both 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips and 140 Partitions and all worked very well; no complaints. The deer were all Oregon blacktails except for an AZ whitetail.

jmbn
Old and in the way

Posts: 274 | Location: Lakeview OR | Registered: 02 October 2013Reply With Quote