270 Winchester Pros and Cons
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

Posts: 124 | Location: Hickory, PA | Registered: 13 May 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks who dislike the 270 Win love to defend the 6.5 Creedmore, but the 6.5 Creedmore does nothing the 6.5x55 Swede does not do.

For every American cartridge there is a Euro metric that came first. So what, the 7x64B was not an option. The 7x64B has not and never will be popular or widely chambered over here.

Winchester chambered both the 7mm Mauser and 270 Win in the Model 54. The 270 Win won head to head.

Posts: 10810 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Folks who dislike the 270 Win love to defend the 6.5 Creedmore, but the 6.5 Creedmore does nothing the 6.5x55 Swede does not do.

For every American cartridge there is a Euro metric that came first. So what, the 7x64B was not an option. The 7x64B has not and never will be popular or widely chambered over here.

Winchester chambered both the 7mm Mauser and 270 Win in the Model 54. The 270 Win won head to head.

Yeah but why shoot either of those when the 30-06 is available!

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
The 270 hits as hard, shoots flatter and kicks less than a 30-06. That's why Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4728 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My favorite caliber is the .270. I have taken Antelope, whitetail deer, black tail deer, mule deer, caribou, and Moose with it. While I own and hunt with many calibers just for fun and variety, I have nothing but confidence in the .270. All of the game listed were killed with green box Remington 130 grain corelokts even the moose.

Can’t go wrong with it.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1926 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Flat shooting is very often in the description of the .270. Why, because Jack O'Connor always said so. Same weight bullets, the 30-06 is a little flatter the first 500 yards, then the .270 catches up and is a little flatter past 500 yards. Not enough either way that a game animal would know.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Its very difficult to convince someone that the gun and caliber they have been using over 20years still doesn't work....

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I own a 270 only because a it came in the Ruger No.1 rifle that I wanted.

Like Saeed says, Everything from my 6.5x284 through the 7mm and 308 caliber rifles will do anything that the 270 will do with a better selection of bullets.

It's like the old argument for the 30.06 that it will "do everything": My argument has always been if you only have one rifle buy a 30.06 because it will do anything. But, if you have more than one rifle, never buy a 30.06 because for any specific hunting application there is a different cartridge that will do it better.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12527 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
I own a 270 only because a it came in the Ruger No.1 rifle that I wanted.

Like Saeed says, Everything from my 6.5x284 through the 7mm and 308 caliber rifles will do anything that the 270 will do with a better selection of bullets.

It's like the old argument for the 30.06 that it will "do everything": My argument has always been if you only have one rifle buy a 30.06 because it will do anything. But, if you have more than one rifle, never buy a 30.06 because for any specific hunting application there is a different cartridge that will do it better.

Dead is dead. If the 30-06 can "do anything" then there is nothing that "will do it better" when the object is killing a game animal. The 270 is limited when you want to use heavier bullets. I could never see the point in owning one. As for recoil; seriously? I can't see that it is a real concern at the power levels we are discussing unless one really doesn't know how to shoot.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
quote:
Agree! NEVER underestimate the importance of .007 of an inch in diameter when considering the effectiveness of a bullet!

In truth the actually that .007 is important because there are far more bullets available in .284" than in .277" should that be important. The .270 WCF is a great vehicle for the 130 grain to 150 grain bullets that are pretty much in 2020 the only weights...130 grain, 140 grain and 150 grain...in factory ammunition or, indeed, in factory bullets. Which is to be regretted as 7x64 and .280 Remington are the better mousetrap.

There's no traditional cup and core 160 grain .277" bullet and no 170 grain traditional cup and core bullet either. But in truth does it matter? Whilst I'd go as far as saying that the .280 Remington is what the .270 WCF should have been the fact is that for most hunting purposes the .270 WCF does the job with the bullet weights it comes in. But if you are happy to be limited to that 150 grain ceiling the .270 WCF will do.

This begs the question: What is wrong with a cartridge that only needs two bullet weights for everything on the continent from which it was born?

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have found many times the 270 is better than the 30/06 in the following:

1) More likely to shoot into the group a shot from clean cold barrel or a barrel with cold hard fouling
2) Also more likely to shoot different bullet weights together and different powders with the same bullet
3) Usually more reliably accurate with bullets of 110 grains than the 30/06 is with 130 grainers
4) Wind drift is far less with light bullets in the 270 than light bullets in the 30/06

I think if all your shooting was big animals then the 30/06 would be the choice. However, you might need to shoot a few for a difference to show up. Check the AR African forum and buffalo. One bloke shoots his buffalo with a 375 and it nose dives into the ground. Another bloke almost wears out the barrel of his 458 Lott on his buffalo. Of course shoot 20 buffalo and then the 458 Lott will step ahead.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of South Pender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .458 Only:
Now, if anyone wants to suggest to me that a 150gr in .277, and an SD of .279 is equal in results on BIG game as a 175gr with an SD of .310 and consequent higher BCs, on long range shooting of a 1400 lb moose or 800 lb bear, I'll question them on what they've been smoking! That's under all conditions and angles!
Bob
www.bigbores.ca

How about the 180-gr. Woodleigh protected-point bonded-core .277 bullet with an SD of .334 (higher SD than that of the 220-gr. .308 bullet) and a BC (G1) of .513 on really big game? I for one would be happy to use this on your 1400 lb. moose as opposed to a 175-gr. 7mm. bullet at 2900 fps (typical for the 7 Rem. Mag.). A Quickload analysis indicates that from a 24”-barreled .270 Win., one can obtain about 2700 fps with this bullet at high, albeit safe, pressures of around 60,000 psi (Piezo CIP). Although it's been opined that it is too long to stabilize in the usual .270 Win. 10" twist, the JBM Ballistics stability program suggests otherwise--that it should stabilize. One would be wise to test it in his own barrel to be sure. This load will retain sufficient velocity out to 450 yards to expand reliably according to Woodleigh.

I’ve shot a lot of deer-size game with the .270 Win.—coastal blacktails, mulies, whitetails, and even fallow deer, along with a moose and a couple of black bears. It was my go-to cartridge early in my hunting career, and a Sako .270 Win. currently has a place in my gun safe.

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
- Bertrand Russell

Posts: 163 | Location: Vancouver, BC Canada | Registered: 17 April 2015Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well both the 270 and the 30-06 set all the records with the American shooter, Probably the only caliber that bested them is sales was the win. mod. 94 in 30-30 Win. as well it should for what its designed for.. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
I do not understand the peeing down your leg about .277 bullet selection at all!

With 85 grain monos available, and 110, 130, 140 and 150 grain monos available, what in gods name could you possible need more for??? I have run 85 grain .243 mono bullets through more than 30 inches of deer and still had them exit. While I have never done that with a 270 85 grainer, I have zero question in my mind that the .277 85 grainer could do the same thing. There is nothing in North America I would think twice about shooting with a 270 and 130 grain bullets. Nothing! The 85, 95 and 110 grain Barnes monos are three outstanding deer bullets and will work perfectly from just a few feet off the muzzle out to 400 yards. If you have to be killing deer beyond 400 yards you are getting into a very much more specialized situation, by choice, not necessity, that requires specialized Caliber, rifle, bullet and load. Irrespective of what you might choose for a caliber. Anyone who wants to make even a small effort at all can change a 400 yard shot into a 300 yard shot which is eminently easier to create or buy the load for and which also is much easier to make well.

There are not heavier bullets available because there is neither need nor demand for them other than in the minds of half wits who have no real comprehension of what they are doing!

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In weights over 100 currently available I know we have 110, 129, 130, 140, 145, 150, 160, and 180 in Woodleighs.

That is a lot of bullet weights. My favorite 140. The 129 is the Barnes LRX, the 145 is Hornady ELDX, and the 160 is the Accubond.

My personal favorite, used 140 grain in Accubond.

Posts: 10810 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
www.bigbores.ca[/QUOTE]
How about the 180-gr. Woodleigh protected-point bonded-core .277 bullet with an SD of .334 (higher SD than that of the 220-gr. .308 bullet) and a BC (G1) of .513 on really big game? I for one would be happy to use this on your 1400 lb. moose as opposed to a 175-gr. 7mm. bullet at 2900 fps (typical for the 7 Rem. Mag.). A Quickload analysis indicates that from a 24”-barreled .270 Win., one can obtain about 2700 fps with this bullet at high, albeit safe, pressures of around 60,000 psi (Piezo CIP). Although it's been opined that it is too long to stabilize in the usual .270 Win. 10" twist, the JBM Ballistics stability program suggests otherwise--that it should stabilize. One would be wise to test it in his own barrel to be sure. This load will retain sufficient velocity out to 450 yards to expand reliably according to Woodleigh.

I’ve shot a lot of deer-size game with the .270 Win.—coastal blacktails, mulies, whitetails, and even fallow deer, along with a moose and a couple of black bears. It was my go-to cartridge early in my hunting career, and a Sako .270 Win. currently has a place in my gun safe.[/QUOTE]

I've got plans to work up loads for the Woodleigh 180 and Nosler Partition 160, AB 160 & ABLR 165 this spring if I can get powder and primers.

My guinea pig rifles for this purpose are a factory barreled 9 twist Barrett Fieldcraft, Bartlein barreled 5R 8.5 twist Barrett Fieldcraft and a Kreiger 5R 8 twist Ruger Hawkeye.

I've looked long and hard at the .280AI but I seem to be stuck tight in the grips of the .270 camp, which ironically I spent my first 26 years of hunting trying to avoid due to being afflicted with Keith syndrome.

*For those unfamiliar with Keith Syndrome, think of it like Creedmoor Syndrome 1.0

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1214 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 270 and divorced it for an 06...i prefer more bullet weight but do miss the flatter trajectory of the 270
On 24 hr camp fir there is a good thread on the 270 using R26 3100 with 150 gn proj...that would be really flat shooting

Posts: 1476 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 06 will shoot as flat as a 270 with specific handloads, the two are as close to equal as you can get..My 06 with a 150 gr. shot as flat as my 270 with a 130 gr. all things being equal..but the surprise of my testing came with the 200 gr. Accubond at 400 yards, beyond that Ive never bothered to test, but the 270 would inch out I suspect..

As a matter of fact flat trajectory between most caliber of medium weight on 06 based cases are only a couple of inches different at those extended ranges, its kind of a wake up call on trajectory and not a hell of a lot between the 06 calibers and the same bore magnums or short magnums and Im only referring to drop at extended ranges..do your homework on this one.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always been a big fan of the 06 because it was my 1st high power purchase. Yet all these years later my favorite caliber to actually shoot in the mediums is the .270. And I liked the smaller 22-.250 even more to shoot paper. I don't think there is such a thing as a bad caliber aside from nit-picking.

Posts: 15862 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2007Reply With Quote