Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9 x 57 Mauser
 Login/Join

posted
Is my German 9 x 57 Mauser considered a medium or small bore? I've a beautiful Sauer and Sohn bolt action rifle and a case of Kynoch ammo I inherited from Dad.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
medium

DRSS

Posts: 1148 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have to ask, why is that categorization important?

Posts: 17007 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why important? When extolling the virtues of my rifle I need to put in correct forum

One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Your instincts were right DR. Charlie. Now tell us about your rifle!

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
medium .. and a fine one it is

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38348 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This cartridge should be fine pork slayer and is very similar to 9.3x57 https://www.norma-ammunition.c...-57-232gr---20193092
I would not hesitate to use it on moderate distances for hunting moose.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3x57; perfect rifle to shoot hogs from a bow blind with iron sights Smiler

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3019 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
medium .. and a fine one it is

Agreed.

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4856 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The suggested bore size range for the medium bore forum is right there in the title... Wink

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was intended as a medium in the .358 catagory
and a fine one it is, Id opt for it over the .358, 348, 35 REm. and others for a brush country deer rifle I suppose.

That said, I don't really understand the term "brush country rifles", Ive seen many good bucks in the thickest of country that were 200 to 300 yards across a canyon or in a fire lane or whatever..But they are sure fun to hunt with love to hunt with my 30-30, 25-35 and 348, even for mule deer..even a 222 on ocassion..Id love to hunt with your 9x57 and I have with the 7x57 and 8x57, I would expect as much from a 9x57..

I guess what Im saying is just give me a gun and tell me go hunt in that pasture and Im good with it. tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41722 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Ray, I really like your answer. God bless your bones, my friend.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16271 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too have a Mauser sporter in 9x57. Great rifle in a good cartridge, though components are hard to find. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote