Find
Notify
Tools

300 Norma Mag
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone shoot a 300 Norma Mag ?

Any recommendations on ammo ? All the factor stuff is $5 a round.

Reloading who makes good 7.83mm bullets ?

I got a barrel and a muzzle brake. Waiting on a scope and ammo.

Thanks

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi Beretta682E

Do you have a .300 Norma Magnum or a .308 Norma Magnum? The latter has been around for decades.

Could this be what you're looking for:

https://www.eurooptic.com/norm...-20276375-norma.aspx

Speer #9 has load data for the .308 Norma Mag. It is a powerful cartridge.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Sure I have owned 2..I stuck with the 338 Norma..but enjoyed shooting one. I used mostly 225 ELDs I think I still have a few loaded rounds and brass laying around.

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EMP3:
Hi Beretta682E

Do you have a .300 Norma Magnum or a .308 Norma Magnum? The latter has been around for decades.

Could this be what you're looking for:

https://www.eurooptic.com/norm...-20276375-norma.aspx

Speer #9 has load data for the .308 Norma Mag. It is a powerful cartridge.

Best of luck to you.

I have a 300 Norma magnum.

I see ammo locally at $120 a box.

If there is anything that will get me reloading it will be this one.

I tried the muzzle brake on a 6.5 (same barrel thread M18x1) and it works.

I am looking forward to shooting this beast. It’s muzzle energy is 200 ft lb less than a 375 h&h - that is crazy.

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the 300 Norma some shortened version of the 30/338 Lapua?

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's the 338 Norma Mag necked down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Norma_Magnum

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
It's the 338 Norma Mag necked down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.300_Norma_Magnum

I was close Smiler

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Absolute love my 300 Norma.

Shot 11 rounds - expensive at $6.50 a round Big Grin

Shot .5 without much effort.

Recoil with a blaser muzzle brake was minimal. Pleasant to shoot except for the pocketbook.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I find the logic behind the 338 Norma mag interesting. Not just more power in medium-length actions but use of the really long bullets in a long magazine without having to stuff them back into the Lapua's powder space.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I find the logic behind the 338 Norma mag interesting. Not just more power in medium-length actions but use of the really long bullets in a long magazine without having to stuff them back into the Lapua's powder space.

If blaser makes a barrel For 338 Norma mag I may get it. But the 300 Norma mag does everything for me. I would not get a 338 Lapua. Just more 300 Norma mag ammo Big Grin

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ammo is excessively high, its almost as expensive as a wildcat, and has nothing to offer over a 300 win. mag other than a longer neck as I recall, but that short neck theory was created by gun rags, and holds no water...

The shame of all is the 358 mag, a great caliber that has fallen by the wayside, had so much to offer, but the USA just flat won't buy of on the 35 caliber..Never has never will..Why that is I'll never know, but when push came to shove I opted for the 338 instead..and Ihave no regrets, but the 358 Norma is slightly better IMO..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Ammo is excessively high, its almost as expensive as a wildcat, and has nothing to offer over a 300 win. mag other than a longer neck as I recall, but that short neck theory was created by gun rags, and holds no water...

The shame of all is the 358 mag, a great caliber that has fallen by the wayside, had so much to offer, but the USA just flat won't buy of on the 35 caliber..Never has never will..Why that is I'll never know, but when push came to shove I opted for the 338 instead..and Ihave no regrets, but the 358 Norma is slightly better IMO..

In a few years there will be plenty of ammo available.

Federal which sells ammo for $50 a box has been sold out. Eventually aFter the current hoarding of ammo is done it will be available again and take other prices down.

Given its adoption by the military it will be around for a long time.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sambarman is right on the money. The 300 and 338 Normas were designed after long, high-BC projectiles came on the scene. The 338 Lapua predates the "VLD era", and, unless utilizing an extra-long mag, requires the bullets to be seated quite deeply in the case.

Incidentally, the 300 Norma is not simply the 338 Norma necked-down. Chamber shoulder diameter of the 338 is .5772", while that of the 300 is .5641". Headspace specs of both are identical. You'll do better checking a 338 with the 300 gauge rather than vice versa, because the 338 gauge is likely to have a shoulder diameter too large to allow the gauge to reach the shoulder in the 300.

Dave Manson

Posts: 678 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dave, as a 21st Century Will Rogers might say, I only know what I read in Wikipedia (and that it can be wrong on occasions, too).

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Mike. Here's some 200 grain Oryx for like $3.85 a piece with shipping.

Oryx bullet ammo.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Mike. Here's some 200 grain Oryx for like $3.85 a piece with shipping.

Oryx bullet ammo.

Thanks for the heads up.

I bought 5 boxes. I will now be able to make some brass and have some good hunting ammo.

Thanks again.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Happy to help.
Found 'em on ammoseek.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beretta
First stop gun has 300 norma 100 rds $2 a round

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typo on my part its 308 norma on sale

Posts: 76 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 09 February 2011Reply With Quote