Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger 77, Tang Safety, 25-06
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted
I've got an opportunity to buy an older style model 77 with the tang safety and fairly heavy barrel in 25-06. The metal is in very good condition with some bluing wear and a few small scratches to the bottom metal, honest use wear, no abuse or neglect. The wood, while not at all fancy, is in really good shape and only bears a few small marks. The rings are not included with the rifle so I'd have to get a set and the Ruger rings seem to be on the expensive side. Can anyone tell me what a fair offer would be to make on this?

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
$400

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

-+-+-

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - The Dalai Lama

Posts: 730 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I've pretty much decided to buy it so now I need a reccomendation on a factory load for white tails. Where I hunt there are typically no really long shot's like you have out west. 200 yards is a pretty long shot around here 'cause the woods are just so thick.

Thanks in advance.

-+-+-

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd start by trying the 120gr Winchester SuperX. If the rifle doesn't like that one, try the 120gr Remington Core Lokt.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Both the Winchester and Remington 120gn loads would be good choices. Federal have the biggest range, offering the 100gn Barnes TSX, the 110gn Nosler Accubond, the 115gn Nosler Partition, and the 117gn Sierra Game King, in their premium range, and the 117gn Speer Hot Cor in their standard range. Hornady also offer 117gn SST and 117gn BTSP bullets in their loaded ammo and their "Light Mag" version using the 117gn BTSP at about 100fps faster than the other loads. Depending on price and availablility you should find something, as any of the above would be suitable.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
100 gr hornady.
i asssume the reason you went 25 caliber is speed, right? no use in the heavy 120 for that caliber.
i have a set of blued rings. PM me if your interested.

Posts: 3986 | Location: in the tall grass "milling" around. | Registered: 09 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slug: My 25-06 shoots the Federal 115gr NP really well. Usually under 1/2" @ 100 yds.

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With Ruger rings, you do not have to buy any bases since they attach directly to the receiver.

Posts: 431 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:
i asssume the reason you went 25 caliber is speed, right? no use in the heavy 120 for that caliber.

Actually, I believe he said:

"Where I hunt there are typically no really long shot's like you have out west. 200 yards is a pretty long shot around here 'cause the woods are just so thick."

Opinions differ, that's what makes it fun. But IMO, for shots at 200yds or less, I'd prefer a heavier bullet at a lower velocity.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:
Originally posted by KSTEPHENS:

Actually, I believe he said:

"Where I hunt there are typically no really long shot's like you have out west. 200 yards is a pretty long shot around here 'cause the woods are just so thick."

Opinions differ, that's what makes it fun. But IMO, for shots at 200yds or less, I'd prefer a heavier bullet at a lower velocity.

i cant imagine why someone would rather use a 25 caliber with a 120. why not a 270 or a 30 caliber if your wanting heavy.

what is the supposed advantage of a small heavy bullet over a lighter fast one?

one of us
posted Hide Post
KS

OK, at the risk of hyjacking the thread, and to answer you questions:

I like the heavier bullet because:

-higher SD
-higher BC
-same recoil (per HA recoil calculator)
virtually same trajectory (1.5" difference @ 400yds per Remington)
-better/more consistent bullet performance OR no need for premium bullet
-and my 25/06 and 257AI with 120's at 3000ish kill just as well IME as my 130 gr 270 (high praise), and the recoil is just enough less that I can watch the impact of the bullet

please understand that all of the above is picking nits, and under field conditions, there are LOTS of caliber/bullet combinations that will all produce the same results. If yours is different from mine, and it works for you...go for it!

one of us
Picture of The Slug
posted Hide Post
I really just want this rifle because I like the older style Model 77 and because it's another rifle! I do most of my hunting with either a Browning A-bolt Micro Hunter in .308, a Winchester 94 Tracker 30-30 with a scout scope, Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57, or an H&R 20 guage Ultra Slug Hunter. It really depends on where I'm going to be that day. I rarely sit in a stand or blind as I don't have that much patience so I generally still hunt. I figure the 77 in 25-06 might be a good gun for the rare circumstance that I'm sitting in a blind watching along some power lines. Plus, it's another rifle!

-+-+-

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 25/06 is a great choice, and you will find the Ruger to be very reliable. I have used all manner of bullet weights in this caliber and for the larger game I prefer the heavier bullets. I have great faith in the 120gn Hornady hollow point, and have taken my share of deer with these very effectively. They still shoot relatively flat even though it is heavy for caliber. Any weight over 110gn will do the job, even a stout 100gn bullet will be OK (eg the Barnes TSX), so you really have a lot to choose from. I use the lighter weights for smaller game. (eg goats or Fallow deer). My choice and recommendation for the larger deer is 110gn or above.

Posts: 424 | Location: Australia | Registered: 11 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a fair offer would be $350 to $375 since the rings are not included..If it were me I wouldn't pay more than $350, but I buy them to trade or sell at some point.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41758 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote