New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 H&H flanged loading data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Until recently I have been buying the ammunition from Wolfgang Romey but now I have decided to reload as I can get the right brass and the bullets easily.

I have had a great success with this caliber using exclusively the 220 grain Woodleigh bullet. Great caliber for wood hunting especially for boar and red deer.

The powder space is voluminous but the chronographed velocity showed me ca 2360 fps. I have the feeling more velocity can be achieved.
The cartridge is standardized by CIP but after the data review I have the feeling someone made wrong calculation as the working pressure is very low giving it a mediocre power.

Thus, my question is, who has the experience in loading the 300 HH flanged and the relevant loading data?

Thank you.

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I load for it with 180 gr Nosler partitions using 62 grains of RL 22 which matches original velocity and regulates beautifully in my rifle. Excellent cartridge and my H&H Farquharison is my favorite hunting rifle. I took this buck at just over 200 yards.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only one Ive owned over the years was a 30 super double rifle, and that's a flanged 300 H&H with a different name..I uses standard book loads in it for a number of years..It was an awesome gun..Im sure you could do the same but its always good advise to start low and work up..I used only old surplus WW2 H4831 also known as 4350 DATA, as I recall. It was a rimmed 300 H&H, is that not a 30 Super??

But you failed to say what gun your using, that can change a lot of things, I assumed a quality double rifle or single shot! If so what make and model.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The Woodleigh loading manual lists loads as does Shooting The British Double Rifle.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 H&H flanged magnum I load for is a Webley falling block action with interchangeable (by hand) barrels, one in .300 flanged magnum and the other in .375 flanged magnum.

Subject the usual cautions about working up your own load, I put 60 grains of IMR 4350 behind a 200 grain .308 bullet, either Nosler partition or Swift A-frame. Will have to wait until arriving in Namibia in two weeks to chronograph, but it is an accurate load that extracts well. Do not plan to take the .375 barrel with me on this trip.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1319 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 300 H&H with a 200 gr. Nosler has been my go to load since the introduction of the 200 gr. Partition simi point best I recall, then the spritzer partition (even better)...Ideal plainsgame rifle/load combination..My load got me 3010 FPS in my old mod. 70 and a Rem 721..both with 26 inch barrels. Not to mention an outstanding elk rifle. Based on a 300 H&H and 4350 you seem to have a fairly mild load, have you chronographed it by chance?

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote