Tools

Dumbest New Cartridge
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
If the desire is a high performance rimless 300 mag type cartridge, I guess we should think about necking down the 500 Jeffery. Probably get 3300 fps with a 250g bullet in a 1 in 7" twist barrel.

What I believe desire is:

At 1st place Exceptional accuracy (modern internal ballistics and efficiency reflecting today powders, case shape inside/outside designed around today high BC long bullets)
Very good performance (velocity, bullet drop, wind drift)
Very good barrel life

It is compromise of course. But I think it is very well engineered.

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500: My vote the 6mm Creedmore. Not a gnat’s dick between it and the old 243 Winchester.

The rifles chambered in the 6 Creed are twisted way better then the million .243 rifles out there

Loads are still 100 grains. With the VLD bullets being 103 to 110.the twist is not a cartridge issue. You can build a 243 Win with the twist to stabilize a 110 grain bullet. I feel to see a great advantage of a 110 grain bullet over 100.

Twist is not the cartridge as I am learning with the 35 Whelen.

You're right twist isnt a cartridge issue, and for hunting 99% of the time a 100 grain bullet or lighter will get it done in a .243 Win. It's the package, and right now the 6mm CM is a better package than the .243 Win. It's also far easier to convince people who are the majority that mainly shoot factory ammunition out of a factory built rifles to buy a whole new idea than to update an existing one. It's also faster for people who want to shoot right now than having a custom twist barrel installed on their old .243 Win.

Ruger offered a fast twist .243 for a short time in their Precision Rifle, but dropped it in favor of the 6mm CM. Barrett's Fieldcraft rifle is the only production rifle with faster than a 1:9 twist but they offer the 6mm CM as well. However, for less than $1K a guy can go purchase a 6mm CM, scope, mounts, bipod, and ammo and have a rifle that can shoot everything a factory .243 Win can and then some.

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
My take is that the 300 PRC will be a long range military sniper cartridge for a long time. About 4 people came up with the cartridge at the same time Hornady, Dave Tooley, Accuracy International and someone else I don't remember the name of.

The 6mm Creedmoor is super popular in National Rifle League and Precision Rifle Shooting. I don't think it is going anywhere either. Though a lot of them are shooting 6mm BR now, and strange things like 6mm Swiss Match, 6XC, and others.

I get the idea of the 350 Federal Legend, but it isn't something I would ever use as I have.

I never saw the need for the 224 Nosler, but the 224 Valkeryie with it's VLDs is incredible and I am a huge fan.

If someone gave me a 256 Newton or a 358 Norma Magnum, I'd shoot that and be happy. New Cartridges get developed all the time, I see it as a good thing.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
The whole idea behind the 300 PRC is to seat a long high BC bullet out to get full use of the case capacity.
Another idea that really makes good sense on the 300 PRC is the throat diameter is specified at .3088 vs .315 on the 300 Win.Mag, throat. So no brainer there, closer tolerances in the throat for the 300 PRC. means better bullet alignment prior to ignition and also during ignition.
Those who developed this approach to throat design also theorize that due to the fact that a normally seated bullet in a 300 Win.Mag. case can actually get a side thrust under ignition due to the fact that seating depth puts bullet shank past the shoulder junction allowing powder to lay up beside the bullet prior to ignition, this combined with the .315 over .308 throat to bullet tolerance.
One other tolerance hindering the 300 Win.Mag. is the shoulder of brass to shoulder of chamber dimension.
Since the 300 Win.Mag. headspaces on it's belt this means a tolerance must be established at the shoulder of the case. The simplest way to get that needed tolerance so it will function is to make the chamber longer than the brass at the shoulder, establishing yet another tolerance.
The 300 PRC is a refinement that eliminates all of the short comings of the 300 Win. Mag.
Almost the same can be achieved with the 300 Win.Mag mk 248 mod.1 as it too uses much of the same throat design that went into the 300 PRC. However the mod.1's short coming again is belted headspacing and case shoulder vs chamber tolerance, nice try but automatically obsolete.
My reply to this thread focuses on how the 300 Win.Mag competes with the 300 PRC from a technical perspective.
The 300 PRC is designed to increase the hit percentage at long range, 1000 + yards. The closer range to the target the higher the hit percentage, simple right?
Eliminate tolerance road blocks, increase precision, increase accuracy statistically. Unite this with truly amazing high quality cut rifled barrel, stock and modern easily corrected optics that track a range finder correct ballistic data and botta boom you're in the long range game, not the old school Grampys burned out 300 Win.Mag. fried throat but still shoots 2 moa good to go game. rotflmo

Posts: 1209 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Decisions the government makes on firearms record isn't all to great, its been hit and miss, and lately misses are the norm..guess it started with the 30 carbine, then the FBI choices, but lets not go there, as most agencies used the 38 special until it became obvious the officers were under gunned. What Im saying is they are not the last word in firearms, and their recommendation isn't the golden rule...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Redundant maybe?
What was dumb was those electronically ignited cartridges. What do you do? Put your rifle on a charger (not intended to be literally)? Did they do it to save weight? Those pesky firing pins can weigh a ton! Not.

If you want one go for it. You earned the money, spend it on something you like. One mans dumb is another mans cool.

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Dumbest new cartridge that will be dead in 18 months;
300 PRC???
I just read about it in the Rifleman.
I know that Hornady needs to invent new stuff. I wholeheartedly endorse Capitalism. I have no issue with the concept of new developments.
Just my prognosis on it though.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:
The whole idea behind the 300 PRC is to seat a long high BC bullet out to get full use of the case capacity.
Another idea that really makes good sense on the 300 PRC is the throat diameter is specified at .3088 vs .315 on the 300 Win.Mag, throat. So no brainer there, closer tolerances in the throat for the 300 PRC. means better bullet alignment prior to ignition and also during ignition.
Those who developed this approach to throat design also theorize that due to the fact that a normally seated bullet in a 300 Win.Mag. case can actually get a side thrust under ignition due to the fact that seating depth puts bullet shank past the shoulder junction allowing powder to lay up beside the bullet prior to ignition, this combined with the .315 over .308 throat to bullet tolerance.
One other tolerance hindering the 300 Win.Mag. is the shoulder of brass to shoulder of chamber dimension.
Since the 300 Win.Mag. headspaces on it's belt this means a tolerance must be established at the shoulder of the case. The simplest way to get that needed tolerance so it will function is to make the chamber longer than the brass at the shoulder, establishing yet another tolerance.
The 300 PRC is a refinement that eliminates all of the short comings of the 300 Win. Mag.
Almost the same can be achieved with the 300 Win.Mag mk 248 mod.1 as it too uses much of the same throat design that went into the 300 PRC. However the mod.1's short coming again is belted headspacing and case shoulder vs chamber tolerance, nice try but automatically obsolete.
My reply to this thread focuses on how the 300 Win.Mag competes with the 300 PRC from a technical perspective.
The 300 PRC is designed to increase the hit percentage at long range, 1000 + yards. The closer range to the target the higher the hit percentage, simple right?
Eliminate tolerance road blocks, increase precision, increase accuracy statistically. Unite this with truly amazing high quality cut rifled barrel, stock and modern easily corrected optics that track a range finder correct ballistic data and botta boom you're in the long range game, not the old school Grampys burned out 300 Win.Mag. fried throat but still shoots 2 moa good to go game. rotflmo

Good post

Posts: 373 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 13 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I have never seen a dumb cartridge. I have seen many new offerings the last fifty years since I have been hunting, many good ones and some that died a quick death and some a slow death. They will live or die on their own strength. The newer powders bring on some interesting stuff, be ready for more to come. Many a good cartridge started as an experimental wildcat, just have a good time shopping for what fits you or yours. I never shot a .270 but when the WSM version came along I tried one and let my grandsons shoot it and now we hunt Deer with four WSM’s because it is all they wanted to hunt with. Good Shooting.

I agree

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timan:

Same reasons the 28 Nosler kicks butt over all 7mms.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I try to be a fan of the new stuff, even though I can't personally get too excited by a lot of it. But I want to draw new shooters in an increasingly anti-shooting environment, and new equipment and cartridges and games (like 3 gun and Precision Rifle) do that.

There has to be a bridge from the AR and Glock that the last 2 decades of kids bought and played with to a wider appreciation (and acquisition) of firearms. It'll make gun grabs harder. I even try to appreciate the video games that got my boys interested in all the WWII weapons and the cowboy weapons.

And some of the new stuff is even useful!

Posts: 1720 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just don’t get the hype.

In essence, the difference between the 6.5 CM and the .260 is tolerances in the throating of the rifle and specification for twist of rifling. Ditto the PRC and .300 WM, at least as far as the accuracy goes.

Seems to me that what we are asking for is to have SAAMI or a manufacturer revamp the specs for every rifle round. Holding finer tolerances gets better accuracy... who’da think that?

I’ve always thought that accuracy was more a matter of the individual rifle than the cartridge design.

I’ve shot a 6.5 CM, and was favorably impressed with it as a fun gun to shoot. A friend had it at the range when I was shooting some load tests. Of course, it wasn’t as accurate as the .300 RUM I was shooting myself- but it was way less recoil, the ammo was less than half the cost for factory rounds, and the rifle was available OTC for less than a fifth of what mine cost... probably closer to a tenth.

In my mind, the CM and PRC are meant to be turn key options for what you can do with more effort with a standard chambering and some work.

Posts: 10479 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:
and here I thought it was the 350 legend.

Agreed

Posts: 5691 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crbutler:

I’ve always thought that accuracy was more a matter of the individual rifle than the cartridge design.

I think there are some case designs that are better; the .404 Jeffrey is an example. The RUM, 28 Nosler, Edge, etc. are all based on this case designs and all seem to shoot better than the belted magnums I have shot.

Don't Ever Book a Hunt with Jeff Blair
http://forums.accuratereloadin...821061151#2821061151

Posts: 7570 | Location: Arizona and off grid in CO | Registered: 28 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
28 Nosler is awesome!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Truly the dumbest new cartridge is the 350 “Legend” with its 9mm bullets.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually every cartridge designed after 1935 or so is really useless. If you study the history of fire arms carefully you will realize that by that time every real needed cartridge had been developed by the British, Germans or Americans experimenters. The only thing new is better bullets, better powders, better primers and the advancement of manufacturing that allows far smaller tolerances on a massive scale. Also far better advertising!

just thumb through cartridges of the world..

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
ELS... I agree we can learn so much from the past. Looking at the success of the 6.5 Creedmoor, I think a large part of the success was all the things beyond the cartridge with the whole ecosystem of blue collar priced precision ammo, guns and bullets from half the gun industry. Yes, as you alluded, the manufacturing has improved as well as the marketing. If the 350 “Legend” was marked as a fast 9mm than hooray! Not being able to use 358 bullets??? Booo thumbdown The 350 “Legend” is new in the way it shot itself in the foot lol.

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Boomstick,
I agree with your reasoning about the 6.5 CM. I think folks here are such dedicated reloaders that they lose site of the appeal of being able to buy a rifle and ammunition off the shelf that is the total package. It can be hard to equal factory loads when reloading for the 6.5 CM. The 300 PRC is the same scenario and I don't think this is a dumb idea at all, for the same reasons.

As far as the 350 Legend goes, I don't know anything about it, don't plan on having one, and don't plan to use a semi-auto rifle while hunting for anything. Is it dumb? I don't know, don't care. If somebody wants one go for it.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
If I was in the market for a 30 cal I would purchase a 300 PRC.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 hunting rifle: a 30-06 and a 375 H&H. I have never felt the need for anything else.

USMC Retired
DSC Life Member
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 730 | Location: Maryland Eastern Shore | Registered: 27 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Truly the dumbest new cartridge is the 350 “Legend” with its 9mm bullets.

The 350 Legend uses a .357 bullet, not a .355

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Nope not true; the 350 uses 9mm bullets. SAAMI spec calls for .358 minus .003; right within spec. The reason they did that is so they could use the massive 9mm bullet production machinery. And what makes us reloaders mad about it as all of us have stock piles of .357/8 bullets we want to use. If you load larger bullets, the chambers won't take them.
Its is widely used in my state which allows straight walls, and 99% of these deer hunters do not reload and do not care what it actually is.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Most of the deer hunters here do not use ARs; they use bolt actions; seems all the makers make one now. In 350 Legend I mean.

One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Most of the deer hunters here do not use ARs; they use bolt actions; seems all the makers make one now. In 350 Legend I mean.

The changes in the regulations to allow this, from slug guns, has created a new niche for cartridges. I had no idea that the 350 legend was chambered in any bolt action rifles.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
If I had a hankering for a straight walled 35, I would go 35-30-30!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have 2 hunting rifle: a 30-06 and a 375 H&H. I have never felt the need for anything else.

Ditto. I will use one of my doubles if conditions are right.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Amazingly, yes, 350 is chambered in Ruger, Savage, Winchester, Howa, at lease. Big sellers here.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Just need to run a fix it reamer in the chamber to let 358 bullets work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nope not true; the 350 uses 9mm bullets. SAAMI spec calls for .358 minus .003; right within spec. The reason they did that is so they could use the massive 9mm bullet production machinery. And what makes us reloaders mad about it as all of us have stock piles of .357/8 bullets we want to use. If you load larger bullets, the chambers won't take them.
Its is widely used in my state which allows straight walls, and 99% of these deer hunters do not reload and do not care what it actually is.

I don't know about that Tom, SAAMI shows the 350 Rem Mag chamber as having a neck at .390 and mouth at .382, of course with the +'s and -'s. So let's take .382 and minus .358 for bullet diameter and you get .024. Divide by 2 and that gives you .012 neck wall thickness for max thickness on brass. I hardy doubt any 350 Rem Mag Brass has neck walls that thick.

Almost all the 35 calibers run a 9mm. Even 38's and 357's have basically 9mm bores and grooves. Yes I know there are many that don't and have the .358 grooves.

One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
And.....Winchester says the bullet diameter is .3570"

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not exactly new and has a HUGE following, but I fail to see what a .270 wont do better than a 25-06 nor what a 25-06 really does better than the old .257 Roberts. I consider the 25-06 a fine answer when there was no question.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Smokin Joe:
And.....Winchester says the bullet diameter is .3570"

I have to agree with Smokin Joe on this Tom. I have a friend that pulled recent Winchester bullets from 350 Legend rounds and they are .357

Look at the saami on the 350 Legend and you will see the forward part of the case runs .3802 to .3789 at the mouth. Taking the .3802 and subtracting .358 give you .0222 which leaves plenty enough room to chamber with a .358. I have the Legend and let me tell you that you can chamber some really fat bullets as long as you keep a full bearing band out of that .357 freebore.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bullets I pulled from factory 350 Legend ammo were all .355"

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRumore:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

So what we have is the 9 mm legendary blunder. They are advertising a 35 and what they’re giving us as a nine. Bait and switch!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
quote:
Originally posted by TonyRumore:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

So what we have is the 9 mm legendary blunder. They are advertising a 35 and what they’re giving us as a nine. Bait and switch!

Yeah well if you read the December Shooting Times article on the CMMG 350 Legend they pulled various factory ammo bullets and they ranged from .355 to .357!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Winchester themselves said they are loading it with bullets from .355 to .357 depending on the bullet type and design. Winchester had a big go around with Iowa on the .355 which Iowa said no so Winchester then started loading .357 bullets and Iowa gave the round the go ahead.

I can't believe you fellows we're aware of the discrepancies in calibers that we thought were suppose to have .358 bullets and they DID NOT!!!

Don't judge the bullet diameter on the Legend by ONE pulled factory bullet. If you don't like the Legend don't buy one, but don't run it down because of that. The deer isn't going to notice one iota difference in .002 bullet diameter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drongo:

refreshing and so true. No real need in the hunting world for anything else.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1225 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I’ve ben playing with a .300 PRC and am impressed with the chamber & cartridge (completely unimpressed with the rifle, but that’s another story...) package that Hornady developed; as they did with the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC. Think forest, not trees with these cartridges.

Anyhow, a friend forwarded me this video and it reminded me of the premise of this thread!

Posts: 1235 | Location: Golden, CO | Registered: 05 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with els even though the safe holds two "new" calibers 338 WM (1958) and 308 (1952). The 338 for American game larger than deer, and Plains Game, and 308 in Scout Rifle just because I like it.
As I age I find the older rounds more interesting.
300H&H, 3006, 270W, 6.5X54MS.
Wait I sold my 375 to els and bought my 308 and 6.5X54 Mannlicher from him. I'm beginning to detect a pattern.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DavidReed:
I’ve ben playing with a .300 PRC and am impressed with the chamber & cartridge (completely unimpressed with the rifle, but that’s another story...) package that Hornady developed; as they did with the 6.5 Creedmoor and 6.5 PRC. Think forest, not trees with these cartridges.

Anyhow, a friend forwarded me this video and it reminded me of the premise of this!

The Real Gunsmith .300 PRC

I generally enjoy RealGunsmith content. However, I respectfully disagree about the 300PRC/Ruger.

It gives you Weatherby performs in a non belted, and non modified Jeffery (rebated and real big) case. The long ogive bullets, I think, will not operate in a a 30/06 length box magazine from Ruger and Savage. The cartridge itself with normal bullets will function through a “30/06” magazine.

What is not to like? I would load mine with 200Accubonds and be done. The magnum 300s are a bit too much for me. That much recoil, I might as well shoot a 338WM.

The 7Mm STW does everything I could perform, so it got the knod over the 300Weatherby.

I do think the full length 375 Ruger Case is the perfect Case. Ruger folks should be fired for missing the boat and letting Nosler take the lead.

Now, all I can and do ask is a full lengeth 375case necked to 7mm and 358 (with 275 grain bullets).

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Noticed a fair number of guns being offered in 300PRC this year, it will likely be around for a while in the non-military world. Not so sure about the new 277Sig though, if it will ever go anywhere outside military use, and I believe Weatherby just built & released a 270 as well.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote