Dumbest New Cartridge
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Dumbest new cartridge that will be dead in 18 months;
300 PRC???
I just read about it in the Rifleman.
I know that Hornady needs to invent new stuff. I wholeheartedly endorse Capitalism. I have no issue with the concept of new developments.
Just my prognosis on it though.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Big Military has embraced the 300PRC. So, it is not going away. My vote the 6mm Creedmore. Not a gnat’s dick between it and the old 243 Winchester.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I think the 300 PRC is a smart round but how popular? TBD. I predict a lot of shot out 300 Win Mags will get reamed out for this.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It amazes me at the number of new and improved cartridges that get introduced every six months. I’d venture that 90% duplicate existing ballistics of older cartridges.

On the positive side, it does stimulate the industry and excites the blood of those who want the latest and greatest.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
It follows most of the success recipe of the 6.5 CM but for 30 cal lovers. What is not to like?

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Please give me the reference where the US Military is adopting it.
If I sound skeptical, it is because every new cartridge is reported to get Military "Interest". It never pans out for widespread adoption. I know how Army requirements and procurement operates; I worked in it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Barrett reported it was awarded a contract with the Department of Defense. Barrett has not said how many rifles the contract is for.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
I believe 300 PRC is very smart and well engineered 21st century cartridge.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Years ago, I wildcatted so many cases, in so many calibers, just for fun.

Only ones which have proven useful are the ones on the 404 cases.

Remington brought out their RUM line after that.

We use ours hunting every year.

All the Creedmore cartridges are just re-inventing the wheel.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66762 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
the 338 RCM - and NOT making a straight up 338x375 ruger

the 338 rcm "matches" the 338 win .. not exactly a big niche .. and as it's REALLY a custom gun and you are very much likely to need to reload, it offers nothing over a $299 savage 338 winmag.

now, a 338x375 ruger, which would allow for a rechamber of your Ole Bessie 338 winmag (recall the 7rem to stw) and then have a 340 weatherby ... again, very niche ...

like *I* have any idea of niche-niche-niche plays.. i invented a freakin blackpowder double rifle bigbore cart ...

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38379 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only problem I see having all these new calibres is it dilutes factory ammo/components for sale. A gun shop can only stock so much.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
While I have various 30 caliber rifles, I tend to stick to 25-28 calibers for most of my hunting. I really don't pay much attention to most of the flash in the pan, latest whiz-bang stuff, but looking at the PRC, it does seem to offer some advantages. It is like the 300 Win Mag brought into the 21'st century. I have a rem 700 in 300 win mag and was thinking about rebarreling it to the PRC just to play with it for long range shooting and wondering what, if any, mods would be needed to make it feed properly. The bolt face is already correct, and it almost seems like it might be a simple rebarrel. Tom, you or anyone else have any thoughts or experience on this? Lee.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
and here I thought it was the 350 legend.

Posts: 4962 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"All the Creedmore cartridges are just re-inventing the wheel."

Shot a sportizised m1896 mauser with 6.5mm m1941 cartridges who only made 0.4 moa in last weekend.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike McGuire:
The only problem I see having all these new calibres is it dilutes factory ammo/components for sale. A gun shop can only stock so much.

This is a big deal. What to stock. With all the new restrictions, ordering boutique carts online becomes an issue.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

yuck

It should have been called the 9mm WSL.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Lee, without doing any research, it looks like any 300 Win can be rechambered for it.
I read that DoD awarded an $8M contract to Barret for various rifles and services, but it didn't say how many 300s. I envision a contract for 20 rifles for the Special Forces to play with. Those guys can buy whatever they want but it doesn't mean there is a requirement for wide use.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lamar:

I’m with you. I guess the straight wall case in certain jurisdictions thing makes sense, but in “free America” it seems like it will be a dud.

Matt
FISH!!

Heed the words of Winston Smith in Orwell's 1984:

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."

Posts: 3276 | Location: Northern Colorado | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeffeosso- don't say the 338 RCM! I have one on layaway...don't jinx it for me! ha I plan on handloading for any rifle I get/have, so its no problem for me to hustle up some brass. Smiler And its the little 20" wood stocked Ruger 77, "much" prettier than a Savage....eeww. lol

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Worthless IMO is the 6.5/300 WBY. About the time you find good loads for it, its almost burned out. If shot sparingly, what would be the fun of that? The old "30-06 behind the closet door" does that! Smiler

Posts: 256 | Location: Sandy, Utah | Registered: 30 May 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of lee440
posted Hide Post
Looking at it, to rechamber a 300 win mag to PRC will require a fair amount of barrel setback. I think that looking at it, most people would agree that it is an intelligently designed, purpose-built cartridge that is better suited for the role that the military is seeking to fill as opposed to the Win Mag. For most hunters there is probably little real world advantage. I bet plenty of long range target shooters will be giving it a try.

DRSS(We Band of Bubba's Div.)
N.R.A (Life)
T.S.R.A (Life)
D.S.C.

Posts: 2247 | Location: Houston, TX. | Registered: 18 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
A minor setback to set it back a bit.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a dumb cartridge. I have seen many new offerings the last fifty years since I have been hunting, many good ones and some that died a quick death and some a slow death. They will live or die on their own strength. The newer powders bring on some interesting stuff, be ready for more to come. Many a good cartridge started as an experimental wildcat, just have a good time shopping for what fits you or yours. I never shot a .270 but when the WSM version came along I tried one and let my grandsons shoot it and now we hunt Deer with four WSM’s because it is all they wanted to hunt with. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
quote:
010 was 10 years ago people... Things change. Except for old dogs...

Some old dogs just keep hunting!

.45-70 Government still going strong for over 100 years and it does not need a fancy name like Creedmoor to deliver where it counts.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2293 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It offers nothing to the military vs the 300WM, so I hope they will not adopt it. Just gives more logistical problems regarding ammo, parts, manuals, training, etc.. Everyone needs to realize that the initial procurement of a weapon system is the cheapest part of the life cycle cost of anything. And life cycle cost is what is important.
OTOH, the Small Arms community is filled with "Experts", so they get some less than well thought out stuff. I was offered a job in small arms in TACOM; I turned it down for that reason. I stayed in Tank Armament, where the experts are real.
As for those who poo-poo straight walled deer cartridges; I assume you do not live were bottlenecks are banned. I do.
They have a valid place in the cartridge niche. Unlike the 300 prc. And they ripped off Jeff so shame on them.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
I hate that my tax dollars are going to invent another new cartridge when there are so many already in existence. It's bad enough in the sporting world, but for our military they should figure out what they need and chose a suitable existing cartridge that's close, but that will never happen.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are so many new calibers out there to day I wouldn't even know where to start, few if any of them show me much, most or duplication of rounds we have had for years..

The blackout strikes me as useless..I see not real advantage to it, nor its existence.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Please give me the reference where the US Military is adopting it.
If I sound skeptical, it is because every new cartridge is reported to get Military "Interest". It never pans out for widespread adoption. I know how Army requirements and procurement operates; I worked in it.

The requirement came from the U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCOM) which asked the industry for a cartridge that would give its snipers a 50-­percent hit probability on a man-­size target at 2,000 yards.
That really doesn't sound like an adoption...more like a request for something to test.

That's really just a request for a high B/c bullet.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
That makes sense, I hope they analyzed all of the existing cartridges for suitability before they jumped into creating a new one. I also work for the DoD and unfortunately doubt it, but I could be wrong. It's happened before Smiler

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hard to make any money trying to sell people rifles for a cartridge for which they already own rifles.

The 300 PRC is more of a precision cartridge than the other 30 caliber magnums. How do I know that? Because the "P" in the name stands for "Precision".

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Amazing how many ways can be found to re-invent the wheel.

I like the fact that they are moving away from the belted Magnums. That is an advancement about 50 years overdue. But "inventing" a new cartridge just to make it exclusively for a faster twist and a high BC slug seems like over cooking the Goose just a little bit to me. Whatever keeps the sales reps in a job I guess.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Yep. Eventually someone will remember that it aint the brush...it's the artist.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slider
posted Hide Post
It must be More Accurate. After all it is call The Precision Rifle Cartridge?.....lol

Posts: 2320 | Location: East Wenatchee | Registered: 18 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
"Everybody thinks we need another .30 caliber long-range cartridge like another hole in the head,” Hornady Marketing Director Neil Davies said. “We’ve been working on this for 10 years. What the 300 PRC has to offer is a lot like the 6.5 Creedmoor, (which is) everywhere and it shoots well in a lot of rifles.”

The 300 PRC has been out for the public to purchase for more than a year. Doubt that it will be dead in 6 more months. Big Grin Big Grin I love the 300 WSMs and have shot them for the last 17 years, using them extensively in Africa, Alaska, Mexico and the U.S. However, my new 300 PRC Christensen Arms Ridgeline is indeed the cat's meow for me. tu2 But then, I also own a 6.5 PRC as well, only in a Montana Rifle Company Extreme X3. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
It seems like a fine cartridge, but I don't see how it will be inherently more accurate than a 300 Win Mag or 300 Weatherby, if both of those rifles have the same quality barrels and no Weatherby "freebore". The ballistics seem comparable.

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
New cartridges sell new rifles as well as brass and dies. Makes perfect sense from a manufacturers view point. No difference than all the different makes and models of trucks, cars, ATV’s, motorcycles, etc

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500: My vote the 6mm Creedmore. Not a gnat’s dick between it and the old 243 Winchester.

The rifles chambered in the 6 Creed are twisted way better then the million .243 rifles out there

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ted thorn:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500: My vote the 6mm Creedmore. Not a gnat’s dick between it and the old 243 Winchester.

The rifles chambered in the 6 Creed are twisted way better then the million .243 rifles out there

Loads are still 100 grains. With the VLD bullets being 103 to 110.the twist is not a cartridge issue. You can build a 243 Win with the twist to stabilize a 110 grain bullet. I feel to see a great advantage of a 110 grain bullet over 100.

Twist is not the cartridge as I am learning with the 35 Whelen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Getting back to the 300PRC the only issue I see limiting its popularity is that at a COAL of 3.7 using these long VLD bullets you cannot fit it into the Ruger/Savage/Moseberg/Howa/Winchester actions.

I do not think Winchester would ever load it anyway bc of the 300WM (Winchester never loaded the 375 Ruger. Remington won’t load it bc of the 300 RUM.

So, that leaves it out in the cold for the Majors.

There was one box of 300 PRC Hornaday’s at Sportsman’s Warehouse in Lexington.

There were 6 boxes of 300 WBY and 4 boxes of 7mm STW at the same store.

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
If the desire is a high performance rimless 300 mag type cartridge, I guess we should think about necking down the 500 Jeffery. Probably get 3300 fps with a 250g bullet in a 1 in 7" twist barrel.

Regards,

Chuck