Find
Notify
Tools

One gun. 9.3x62...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Obi Wan,

Is the 9.3x62 just as effective as the H&H?

IMO, no. Because it is smaller and slower.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People quite frequently claim that the 9.3x62 is just a 35 Whelen. I own a 9.3x74r and have had a couple of Whelens.

Ballistically, the 9.3's are more like the step between the 35 whelen and the 375 H&H in terms of power... the 9.3's can hold and effectively push larger/heavier bullets than the Whelen. Not to mention that they do make a bit of a bigger hole. I know there's not much difference b/wn a .358 and a .366 bullet, but the same could be said that there is not much difference in size between the .375 and .366.

The 9.3x62 is not as effective as the 375 on paper just as the 35 whelen is not quite as effective as the .366 on paper, but I don't know that a cape buff could really tell the difference between a 62mm and a .375. Also, I don't know that any animal could tell the difference between a 35 Whelen and a 9.3x62/74R. That said, I would not hunt cape buff w/ a 35 Whelen (disregarding legalities for the sake of conversation), whereas I would not hesitate to hunt them with a 375.

s far as hunting cape with the 9.3, I'd probably be somewhere between competent and banking on that big double my guide should be carrying. Just an opinion because as stated earlier, the 9.3 has a long history of taking African game, including eles. thumb

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Allout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
the 9.3 has a long history of taking African game, including eles. thumb

thumb
That is why I chose her...Well that and some time in a double rugged camp with Ganyana who realy sold me on the idea...
What can I say...I am a sucker for history.
Brian

"If you can't go all out, don't go..."

Posts: 745 | Location: NE Oklahoma | Registered: 05 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maddenwh:
People quite frequently claim that the 9.3x62 is just a 35 Whelen. I own a 9.3x74r and have had a couple of Whelens.

Ballistically, the 9.3's are more like the step between the 35 whelen and the 375 H&H in terms of power... the 9.3's can hold and effectively push larger/heavier bullets than the Whelen. Not to mention that they do make a bit of a bigger hole. I know there's not much difference b/wn a .358 and a .366 bullet, but the same could be said that there is not much difference in size between the .375 and .366.

The 9.3x62 is not as effective as the 375 on paper just as the 35 whelen is not quite as effective as the .366 on paper, but I don't know that a cape buff could really tell the difference between a 62mm and a .375. Also, I don't know that any animal could tell the difference between a 35 Whelen and a 9.3x62/74R. That said, I would not hunt cape buff w/ a 35 Whelen (disregarding legalities for the sake of conversation), whereas I would not hesitate to hunt them with a 375.

s far as hunting cape with the 9.3, I'd probably be somewhere between competent and banking on that big double my guide should be carrying. Just an opinion because as stated earlier, the 9.3 has a long history of taking African game, including eles. thumb

the 35 whelen AI has the same capacity as the 9,3 so all else being equal you need an AI whelen to match the 9,3x62 or you just have a euroschnitzelsycophantism...

the 9,3 is great and the whelen is too.

I think the whelen needs to be improved by using the 9,3x66 case or lengthened an improved to 2.6 on the 06 case like this

with the 250's it is 3.34" oal

the 280's and 300's will fill the neck up.

this one can be done using all off the shelf stuff

the 9,3x66 is almost perfect...just needs a 35 Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27591 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomstick- That's a great idea, and something I'll certainly consider. I've always been attracted to the 9.3x64 brenneke, but then I catch myself thinking that my 375 is just as effective and cheaper to reload and a bit more versatile. I guess the 9.3 does have the advantage of being loaded in a regular sized action as opposed to the 375's larger action.

The 35 Whelen is far and away my favorite medium bore cartridge. It really fills it's own niche, and in my opinion, it effectively takes the place of the -06 and is more effective on big game. I know I'll get pounded for that, but it is my opinion that the 35 Whelen is superior to the -06.

I'm really starting to like my 9.3x74r as well. I really haven't had the time to develop efficient loads etc., but that is certainly my next project on the list.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3 X 62 bolt gun (CZ FS); 9.3 X 74R in a Ruger #1 and a .375 H & H in a Sako bolt and would always have a hard time choosing one over the other for a "one gun" hunt. It would mostly come down to a "whim" on my part as all three would do a really good job.

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a 9.3x62mm, and I'll be hunting Africa with the same 9.3 and a .30-06 as back up on my next safari. The 9.3x62mm may do all the hunting.
LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe the 06, 35 Whelan,338 Win. 9.3x62 will all work on buffalo, Lion and probably elephant..

What I have noticed is the 9.3x62, 9.3x64, 338 all kill about the same, and the fact is the buffalo run further as a rule when shot with these sub calibers..but I would not hesitate to use them and have. but those bulls might decide to run your way, then you will wish you had a larger bore to deal with them, at least I would. Eeker

The .375, 416, 404, 450-400 ARE BETTER, anyway you cut it, not doubt in my mind about that.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41780 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote