New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wich cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is good that you add "I am Spanish". Not have a place in my armorer". An armorer is the person (I doubt a 30-06 would fit in a person.) Armory would be the word you are looking for.

I get it, the 25-06 for example is very popular. Was popular as a wildcat is why Remington adopted it. My view is it doesn't do anything a .270 doesn't do better. Many would say that about the .270 doesn't do anything a 30-06 doesn't do better. Who knows maybe even Jack O'Connor would have said the only thing a .270 does better is sells articles I write.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Doesn't like 30-06??? We are so far apart my thoughts don't matter. My only Spanish is "The four Mexicans knocked a hole in their boat>" That translates to quatro sinko.

Mexicans have nothing to do with the Spanish. Not even fat to speak.

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
It is good that you add "I am Spanish". Not have a place in my armorer". An armorer is the person (I doubt a 30-06 would fit in a person.) Armory would be the word you are looking for.

I get it, the 25-06 for example is very popular. Was popular as a wildcat is why Remington adopted it. My view is it doesn't do anything a .270 doesn't do better. Many would say that about the .270 doesn't do anything a 30-06 doesn't do better. Who knows maybe even Jack O'Connor would have said the only thing a .270 does better is sells articles I write.

Google translate stuff. I put the text in Spanish and copy and paste the translation as is. But you understood me that is what it is about. Big Grin

I am Spanish

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ovny--I didn't mention the translation to put you down--I only mentioned it to help you.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
ovny--I didn't mention the translation to put you down--I only mentioned it to help you.

Ok, thank you. tu2

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I consider the issue settled. What I decide I will let you know. Many thanks for all the answers.

Ovny.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
With a 50 BMG and a 22 LR you can hunt the world

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
PS if those were my quarry I would choose the 6.5 creedmoor or 270 Win in a repeating light stalking rifle.
In a single shot stalking rifle, since you are Spanish, I would chose the 7x57R since it was adopted by the Spanish military in 1893.

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
PS if those were my quarry I would choose the 6.5 creedmoor or 270 Win in a repeating light stalking rifle.
In a single shot stalking rifle, since you are Spanish, I would chose the 7x57R since it was adopted by the Spanish military in 1893.

Thank you for your answer. I'm a maniac of magnum cartridges.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
By "Brassless", I believe our friend Ovny means a non-belted case. Anyway, my vote is for the 7 Rem Mag. I've been using one for years...accurate, flat-shooting and moderate recoil. Go hunt some Ibex! :-)

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
By "Brassless", I believe our friend Ovny means a non-belted case. Anyway, my vote is for the 7 Rem Mag. I've been using one for years...accurate, flat-shooting and moderate recoil. Go hunt some Ibex! :-)

That's right, that's what I was referring to. Thanks.

Ovny.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://thebiggamehuntingblog.com/6-8-western/

quote:
Originally posted by ovny:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:

Thank you for your answer. I'm a maniac of magnum cartridges.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you have a long barrel. A single shot will keep the overall length of the rifle down. When I think of a stocking rifle I think of some thing that is light and can be taken through the brush and get up close to animals.

One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hi, I haven't written in a long time. I keep messing with weapons. I'm saving for a new rifle; Since I have a 338 Winchester Magnum, I have thought about purchasing a rifle with a smaller diameter cartridge and I want to choose between a 270 WSM or a 7 mm Remington Magnum. I plan to use it to stalk animals such as roe deer, goats and the like. I like the 270 WSM being brassless and can be fired in shorter rifles and the 7RM I like its history, and its ability to handle heavier shells if needed. Which one would you choose?

If you consider copper bullets, and especially if you reload copper bullets your choices are quite broad. A 243 can push a 105 grain copper bullet over 3000 FPS. For what you want to shoot, you certainly do not need the top end or the 7mm rounds. Even the lower velocity 30-30 Winchester when loaded with modern powder like LeverEvolution can get you perking along at decent speed and will do the job with a Barnes 150 grain copper bullet. Open your criteria a little and think about what you can do with some of the alternatives.

Posts: 961 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a number of rifles, including a 7mm Rem Mag. I am having a lightweight 280AI built. For my needs it will be better than the 7mm Rem Mag. - lighter, less recoil, less powder used. I also like, and own, both 257 Roberts and 25-'06 (Ruger No. 1) at 7-3/4 lbs., this is a great mountain rifle for deer sized game.

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Hello, thanks for your suggestion, but I do not consider the possibility of obtaining a standard cartridge. I don't reload so I will consume factory ammo. I like the two cartridges that I have included in the survey. Thank you.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would go straight for the 7x64. Does pretty much all that the 7mm rem mag does but less powder and less recoil. It has a faster twist barrel so can stabilise long ballistically efficient monolithic bullets so will duplicate the trajectory of the 7mm mag. And ammo is widely available across Europe.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
I would go straight for the 7x64. Does pretty much all that the 7mm rem mag does but less powder and less recoil. It has a faster twist barrel so can stabilise long ballistically efficient monolithic bullets so will duplicate the trajectory of the 7mm mag. And ammo is widely available across Europe.

I am not convinced by non-magnum cartridges. Hence the option of the 270wsm or 7 Remington Magnum. And I still wrap the blanket around my head and try the short magnum.

Ovny.

I am Spanish

one of us
posted Hide Post
I didn't vote, Your 338 is a better option than either of your choices..I would suggest pairing it with a med caliber such as the 30-06, 270, 7x57 or perhaps a lighter caliber such as the 250-3000 in my case but a 243 or 6mm..lots of options.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
I didn't vote, Your 338 is a better option than either of your choices..I would suggest pairing it with a med caliber such as the 30-06, 270, 7x57 or perhaps a lighter caliber such as the 250-3000 in my case but a 243 or 6mm..lots of options.

Thank you.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
You are quite right. I've wanted the 270wsm for a long time (I preferred the Weatherby Magnum but it's not feasible). I love the 7 Remington Magnum, and I see that people also have a preference for the classic magnum. But if I buy the classic magnum I will feel that something is missing. As I said, I have a year to decide.

Ovny

Are the Weatherby rifles and ammo expensive in Spain or just not available? Sounds like you would love either the 257,270 or 7mm Weatherby Mag!

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
quote:
You are quite right. I've wanted the 270wsm for a long time (I preferred the Weatherby Magnum but it's not feasible). I love the 7 Remington Magnum, and I see that people also have a preference for the classic magnum. But if I buy the classic magnum I will feel that something is missing. As I said, I have a year to decide.

Ovny

Are the Weatherby rifles and ammo expensive in Spain or just not available? Sounds like you would love either the 257,270 or 7mm Weatherby Mag!

Hello, I love Weatherby but little ammo and very expensive. I already had a Vanguard and I was not convinced by the 24" barrel for the 300 Weatherby. And I sold it.

Ovny.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Ovny -
Sorry to go against the grain here.
Do you really "need" a magnum caliber to drop one of your intended animals? Any 7mm non-magnum would fit the bill just fine and you can find tons of different bullets in .284" all the way up to 195 grains or so in case you want to drop a red deer or similar sized game with it.
Some suggestions subject to ponderation are as follows, suggest - loaded to .050" from the lands.

1. 7X57 Mauser - Quick twist barrels like 8.5-8.7" love 175's especially Nosler Partition semi-spitzers. Readily available ammo in Euro zone(?)
2. .280AI - can use .280 Rem. ammo in a pinch. Lots of case volume for full/fast loads. I assume not common in Euro zone.

Scroll down about a third of the way of the story below for a 150 grain comparison. It will add a bit more thought to your needs.
from R. Spomer

quote:
I plan to use it to stalk animals such as roe deer, goats and the like.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Ovny -
Sorry to go against the grain here.
Do you really "need" a magnum caliber to drop one of your intended animals? Any 7mm non-magnum would fit the bill just fine and you can find tons of different bullets in .284" all the way up to 195 grains or so in case you want to drop a red deer or similar sized game with it.
Some suggestions subject to ponderation are as follows, suggest - loaded to .050" from the lands.

1. 7X57 Mauser - Quick twist barrels like 8.5-8.7" love 175's especially Nosler Partition semi-spitzers. Readily available ammo in Euro zone(?)
2. .280AI - can use .280 Rem. ammo in a pinch. Lots of case volume for full/fast loads. I assume not common in Euro zone.

Scroll down about a third of the way of the story below for a 150 grain comparison. It will add a bit more thought to your needs.
from R. Spomer

quote:
I plan to use it to stalk animals such as roe deer, goats and the like.

Hello, thanks for your suggestions. The problem is that I don't like standard cartridges. It's more, for example, I hate 30-06, for no reason, just personal obsession. My only "non-magnum" cartridge is an 8x68S that I own.

Ovny.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Senor Ovny,

El gráfico de velocidad era para comparar magnum con non magnum. Que tengas un buen día.

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Si pos se es la vida!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had 7RM for a good number of yrs, wanted something more suitable for all year round use, versatile though. Picked up a 7-08 in a Rem 700, and a 338WM in a 700 KS Mtn rifle for areas where there are big bears, hunting Rockies in Alberta and Northern BC. I wound up shooting more game with the 7-08 than I did with the 338WM, all the stuff I'd bought the 338 for. And the 7-08 was great as a range gun. No complaints with the 338, aewsome gun, great to shoot, but, decided I didn't need it anymore.
For my hunting in N America, pretty much any 308 or 7x57 or 30-06 case based cartridge will do, from coyotes to moose. Only thing I might want a bigger cartridge for is bison or G-bears, I have a 7RM still and a 300H&H if need be, but, never felt undergunned with a smaller cartridge, either.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by custombolt:
Senor Ovny,

El gráfico de velocidad era para comparar magnum con non magnum. Que tengas un buen día.

Gracias igualmente tu2

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 209jones:
Had 7RM for a good number of yrs, wanted something more suitable for all year round use, versatile though. Picked up a 7-08 in a Rem 700, and a 338WM in a 700 KS Mtn rifle for areas where there are big bears, hunting Rockies in Alberta and Northern BC. I wound up shooting more game with the 7-08 than I did with the 338WM, all the stuff I'd bought the 338 for. And the 7-08 was great as a range gun. No complaints with the 338, aewsome gun, great to shoot, but, decided I didn't need it anymore.
For my hunting in N America, pretty much any 308 or 7x57 or 30-06 case based cartridge will do, from coyotes to moose. Only thing I might want a bigger cartridge for is bison or G-bears, I have a 7RM still and a 300H&H if need be, but, never felt undergunned with a smaller cartridge, either.

I am not seduced by "non-magnum" cartridges and I know of their advantages, less recoil, less noise, more compact and lighter rifles, cheaper ammunition. But I don't want a standard cartridge. Thank you.

Ovny.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ovny

Hello, I love Weatherby but little ammo and very expensive. I already had a Vanguard and I was not convinced by the 24" barrel for the 300 Weatherby. And I sold it.

Ovny.

Makes sense! we have the same problem in South Africa.

Go with the 7mm Rem Mag, it is a very good calibre!

Posts: 388 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ovny

Ovny.

Makes sense! we have the same problem in South Africa.

Go with the 7mm Rem Mag, it is a very good calibre!

Thank you for your advice.

I am Spanish

one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunted the world over, liked the big bores for the big DG, but now at 87, my largest gun as of this weekk is the 9,3x62 early Husqvarna on an FN action and my 348 I suppose, but its just an 06 in wolfs clothing!! MY most used rifle today and probably most of my life is a pre 64 mod. 70 fwt. in 30-06 that appears to be Stainless steel but its just worn all the blue off and the stock is exibition drift wood, thats lost its walnut flavor but it shoots under and inch with most all loads to the same POI..The old 06 works everytime without fail so far!!!

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
That's interesting, Ray: I didn't think stainless could be blued. I must have a go at bluing my stainless Tikka, which is a bit 'loud' as it is.

Posts: 4955 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako M85 Bavarian in .270 WSM that I bought about 3 years ago and have taken about 10 animals (largest was a red lechwe) with. I also have a 40-year old Rem. 700 in 7mm Rem. that I have taken a lot more animals with, up to moose and elk. I really enjoy both rifles. Now my elk rifle is a .338 Win. As you already have a .338, I see no reason to buy a 7mm Rem. when you really seem to want a .270 WSM. I use the 130 gr. Barnes TTSX or the `40 gr. Nosler partition in the .270 WSM and have had great results. The Barnes bullet leaves a small exit hole but does enough internal damage for quick kills. I shot a klipspringer with it this year and did almost no damage to the hide. The entrance was at the back of the right shoulder and the exit was just in front of the left hind quarter. The exit hole was less than a half inch. The Nosler bullet leaves about a 1 inch exit hole. I really like the .270 WSM and feel it would meet your needs very well.