Find
Notify
Tools

Wich cartridge?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted
Hi, I haven't written in a long time. I keep messing with weapons. I'm saving for a new rifle; Since I have a 338 Winchester Magnum, I have thought about purchasing a rifle with a smaller diameter cartridge and I want to choose between a 270 WSM or a 7 mm Remington Magnum. I plan to use it to stalk animals such as roe deer, goats and the like. I like the 270 WSM being brassless and can be fired in shorter rifles and the 7RM I like its history, and its ability to handle heavier shells if needed. Which one would you choose?

Question:
Which cartridge would you choose?

Choices:
7 mm Remington Magnum
270 Winchester Short Magnum

I am Spanish

My forum:www.armaslargasdecaza.com

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
"270 WSM being brassless" what does this mean?
I believe the WSM line of cartridges all use a brass case. Perhaps you meant it doesn't have a belted case, if so yes it has a rimless case where the 7 mm Mag is a belted case.
I didn't respond to your poll because I'm not a magnum fan. For a 7mm cartridge a 280 AI will do 99% of what the 7 mm Mag will do with less recoil.
For a 270 the 270 Win is fine just the way it or an AI to add the benefits of improving the case.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
In my country the 280 AI has no diffusion. I am a magnum lover. The bad thing about the 270 WSM is that the ammunition is more expensive.

I am Spanish

Posts: 1131 | Location: Spain (Madrid) | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan of the 270WSM but also a 7mm Rem Mag, although I don't own a 7 mag right now.

The 280 AI is one of my recent (6-7 years) darlings and will shoot most bullet weights right with a 7 Rem mag all day long. My first std 280 Rem began life back in 1979.

There are just a ton of great cartridges so it depends on what YOU want.

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
In Spain the two most popular cartridges have been the 300 WM and the 7 RM until the arrival of 30-06 (a cartridge that I don't like). I want to combine a cartridge with my 338 WM, so the 300 WM seems too close to the 338 to choose that cartridge. That's why I wanted to lower the diameter a little. And as a lover of magnum cartridges, I thought of the fashionable cartridge like the 270 WSM and a more than consecrated magnum like the 7 Remington Magnum. Also both with very similar ballistics.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A 6.5x55 would be ideal.

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Southgate:
A 6.5x55 would be ideal.

Uff fled from the standard cartridges. I do not like.

I am Spanish

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would go for the .270 WSM, I get 3450 fps with a 130 grain Northfork bullet that is beyond compare. I have had the 7mm and it was fine also. I now own 4 WSM's that my grandsons think hung the moon. Good luck, you can find it the perfect Deer sized game rifle. I have taken Elk with two of mine. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ovny:
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie Southgate:
A 6.5x55 would be ideal.

Uff fled from the standard cartridges. I do not like.

Have no idea what the first sentence means. I do understand the "I do not like". I do not like .270, to me it is oddball and limited as to bullet weights. I am not a big Magnum fan and only own one, the .325 WSM. Not the easiest brass to find but I have plenty and bullets from 150 grain to 220 grain. With it you can shoot any 8mm bullet and there is a great variety of them. Don't see much need for a heavy bullet or a magnum for Roe deer since they are easily killed with .22 centerfires.

I am not Spanish. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Hello, I use the Google translator and sometimes it is not very accurate in translating. I wanted to say that I avoid the standard cartridges. I am a fan of magnum cartridges.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by phurley5:
I would go for the .270 WSM, I get 3450 fps with a 130 grain Northfork bullet that is beyond compare. I have had the 7mm and it was fine also. I now own 4 WSM's that my grandsons think hung the moon. Good luck, you can find it the perfect Deer sized game rifle. I have taken Elk with two of mine. Good Shooting.

They are impressive figures. I don't recharge so I won't get to those speeds. What speed would be obtained using 130 grain bullet on the 7 Remington Magnum?

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I voted 270WSM because I've got one and would like to find ammo for it as long as possible. They are both good calibres, so I think it depends on your purpose and rifle selection. If you want minimal weight and have a short action in mind, the 270 WSM is fine.

My Tikka does not have a short action but is very light, anyway, and gives velocities much better than the 270W. Some Remington factory ammo claimed 3200fps with the 150-grain bullet, almost 300 magnum territory.

Generally, the 7mm mag has a better bullet range, and should perform better with the 160-175gr projectiles. The latter also come in round-nose versions that should be better in forest hunting.

That said, I bought some 180-grain Woodleigh PPs for the .270 after the factory fire (because little else remained), just for curiosity. Though they yawed a bit at 25 and 50 yards, by 100 yards they went through the target straight and grouped under MoA. I then managed a 1.5-inch group at 200 yards but have not tried them at any greater distance. I don't like the PPs' shape much but can't deny that they shoot.

Posts: 4916 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
WSM=GAG X 10.
Get the 7mm Rem Mag.
(And I've even got two 270 WSM reamers.)
I would not personally own one. NO reason for it to exist.

Posts: 17047 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve had and used both. And both performed admirably on game. I prefer the 7 mag.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2628 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I voted 270WSM although I actually now use a 7mmWSM. The 270WSM and 300WSM are currently a little more popular than the 7mmWSM with more ammunition available but there is still plenty of 7mmWSM ammunition available from good gun shops and off course there is the reloading option with empty cases available for purchase.

The belted magnum cartridges in the medium .257-.300 calibres at least normally need a minimum of a 24" barrel or preferably a 26" barrel to get close to the factory advertised velocities and burn larger amounts of slow powder to do so, hence the need for longer barrels to burn the long columns of slow powder.

The WSM cartridges perform well in short actions and with shorter barrels due to the more efficient burning of their short columns of slightly quicker burn rate powders (dpcd you can GAG x 20 Big Grin) but you are ignoring facts and reality when denigrating the WSM cartridges. Why not have a shorter lighter action and barreled rifle with cartridges that perform as well or better than the old belted magnum cartridges. These oldies still work but we have moved on. I used a 7mm Mag for at least 40 years of my prime hunting but my light carry Browning X-Bolt with a 21.75" barrel that I use now with factory loaded ammo with 140gr bullets at a chrono average of 3230fps and 160gr bullets at just over 3000fps puts the lights out on the old belted 7mm Mag with its 26" barrel and long action.

I must admit that when shooting the 7mmWSM over the chronograph and expecting a real drop in velocity from the short barrel, cropped for a suppressor, I was pleasantly surprised with the factory ammo (Federal and Winchester) results.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
The problem is that in Spain only two of the Short Magnums are relatively popular. The 270 WSM and the 300 WSM, and despite this the supply of ammunition is limited and expensive compared to the "classic" magnums.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I only use long actions; I figure that if I can't work that bolt an extra .4 inches, then it is time to quit shooting.
Move on? Why?

Posts: 17047 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 7 Mag has the best bullet selection of the two. I don't care for it but if limited to the two listed that would be my choice.

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
The 7 Remington Magnum cartridge is winning

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have both and voted for the 7mm Mag.

A much greater range of bullets to choose from, especially heavier bullets, and its ability to stabilize heavier bullets, makes the 7mm more versatile, IMO.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13329 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I dont dislike the 270 sm, but in your shoes I would go with the more common 7 mag.

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Thank you for all.

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Ovny states he already has a 338 Win Mag but is looking for something smaller in calibre for roe deer, goats and the like.
Although both the 270 WSM and 7mm Rem Mag are a little on the powerful side for these light animals, of the two the 270 WSM in a short action rifle would be the better. Sure the 7mm Rem Mag can shoot heavier bullets but as most who have used one knows, the Rem Mag kills game better with the lighter bullets in the 140-160gr range.
Having shot roe deer and feral goats, tahr and chamois, I know you don't need bullets heavier than 160gr for these animals, in fact 140gr bullets will do everything you want perfectly.
The 270 WSM will easily handle 150gr bullets if you want heavier than 130-140gr.

Stabilising heavier bullets as Michael Robinson alludes the 7mm Rem Mag is better at is more to do with rifling twist and velocity, nothing to do with what cartridge is firing any particular bullet. A 270 or 7mm WSM rifle will stabilise any of the bullets they are loaded with.
For the animals Ovny wants a new rifle for, the 130gr 270 calibre bullet is more than adequate, you don't need a supermarket full of different weight and styles of bullets for any rifle to successfully hunt the animals Ovny is after.

Posts: 3827 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
I only use long actions; I figure that if I can't work that bolt an extra .4 inches, then it is time to quit shooting.
Move on? Why?

Why not, you still drive a Model A?

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I also would choose the 7mm Remington magnum between the two especially since it’s easier to find ammo in your country and likely you have more choices in it as well.

Have fun with whichever you choose.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Thank you all.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have both and love both. Either is an outstanding choice and will serve you well. With that said, I voted for the 7mm Remington Magnum. In my opinion it has more flexibility.

Posts: 223 | Location: South Dakota, USA | Registered: 27 March 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I voted 270WSM because I've got one and would like to find ammo for it as long as possible.

Same

I really like the WSM line up.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I have to say that I know people who use the 270 WSM and are amazed by the cartridge. One of the hunters I know and recommends it to me also combines it with a 338WM. At the moment I have a year to decide. What a shame to be poor.

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may disappoint you. As you are located in Spain, I would recommend you the 7x64 which does nearly the same as the 7 mm Remington Magnum. If you want a posh cartridge, I recommend 7x61 Super. Both cartridges have better design than Remington. The WSM is not worth to talk about (feeding issues).

Posts: 208 | Location: Prague, Czech Republic | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
quote:
In Spain the two most popular cartridges have been the 300 WM and the 7 RM until the arrival of 30-06 (a cartridge that I don't like). I want to combine a cartridge with my 338 WM, so the 300 WM seems too close to the 338 to choose that cartridge. That's why I wanted to lower the diameter a little. And as a lover of magnum cartridges, I thought of the fashionable cartridge like the 270 WSM and a more than consecrated magnum like the 7 Remington Magnum. Also both with very similar ballistics.

The perfect mate to a .338 WM would be a .264 WM.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36417 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
I wish it was an option (yhe 264 WinchesterMagnum).In Spain that cartridge has long since been relegated to oblivion by the 7 Remington Magnum.

I am Spanish

one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me explain why we, meaning me, son and grandsons and some of their buddies shoot the .270 WSM’s. The 130 grain Northfork chronys at 3450 fps, the perfect Deer load in our long bean fields. That speed is specific to. That bullet others do 100 fps slower. Accuracy three shots touching at 100 yards when the shooter has a good day pulling the trigger. My go to Mule Deer load 140 grain Barnes TSX at 3291 fps with same accuracy and kills like Thor. Bullet hole size going in silver dollar sized going out. Elk load 160 grain Nosler Partition at 3200 fps .5 inch accuracy, tone it down to 3150 and three shots touching. I had a 7mm REM loved it then stepped it up and swapped it for a 7mm STW that I still have so great respect for the 7mm’s but my guys all would die before they give up the .270 WSM hunting what we hunt. I load for all of them which totals eight to ten shooters each year and have enough components to last for my great grandsons kids. This is how we do it. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2344 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
To be honest, I've been interested in the 270 WSM for a long time, but my friends recommended a conventional (ie classic) cartridge. The most similar is the 7 RM and that is why I began to be interested in it. But the interest in the 270 WSM cartridge is still there and I get more and more confused lol.

I am Spanish

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The problem is that in Spain only two of the Short Magnums are relatively popular. The 270 WSM and the 300 WSM, and despite this the supply of ammunition is limited and expensive compared to the "classic" magnums.

You've answered your own question. Go with the 7mm

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Than you beer

I am Spanish

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
ovny you started this discussion obviously leaning heavily to going with a 270 WSM for the animals you listed in your post, and then have spent the rest of the discussion talking yourself out of your original leaning.

As you mention, you like several things about the WSM, shorter lighter rifle, beltless case, etc., and also that you "know people who use the 270 WSM and are amazed by the cartridge. One of the hunters I know and recommends it to me also combines it with a 338WM".

It seems the only negative for you is that ammunition for the WSM's is expensive, it is not that much more expensive than good quality ammunition for the 7mm Rem Mag, and how much ammunition do you expect to shoot if you had a WSM?

Get yourself a Browning X-Bolt in 270 WSM, perfect feeding rifle with clip in rotary magazines, glass bedded and free floated barrels from the factory. The X-Bolt also has a tang mounted safety which is easy to use plus a feature on the bolt which allows you to open and carry the rifle with a half unlocked bolt while the safety is still locking the trigger. The bolt stays 'locked' in the half open position so you can safely climb into shooting platforms or negotiate rough country while having a cartridge in the chamber. These rifles also have a very good trigger and are extremely accurate.

The barrel on my 7mm WSM has been shortened to 21.75" and a suppressor fitted however it still produces slightly better than advertised velocities with factory ammo. You won't achieve that if you shorten barrels on the belted magnums.

Go with a 270 WSM, you won't regret it.

My Browning X-Bolt 7mm WSM - a pleasure to use, love it.

One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
You are quite right. I've wanted the 270wsm for a long time (I preferred the Weatherby Magnum but it's not feasible). I love the 7 Remington Magnum, and I see that people also have a preference for the classic magnum. But if I buy the classic magnum I will feel that something is missing. As I said, I have a year to decide.

Ovny

I am Spanish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doesn't like 30-06??? We are so far apart my thoughts don't matter. My only Spanish is "The four Mexicans knocked a hole in their boat>" That translates to quatro sinko.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ovny
posted Hide Post
Rather than a 30-06 I prefer a 280 Remington or 270 Winchester. I don't think any .30-06 rifle will ever have a place in my armorer. I don't like that cartridge at all.

I am Spanish