posted Hide Post
Not to worry cans move with every shot, try a paper target next time!! jumping

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Next time I will not drink the beers before I shoot them rotflmo rotflmo

Posts: 340 | Location: Florissant, Colorado  | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
love my Sako 30-06 w/ old 1.5 x 6 Redfield Wide Field, BLR 81 30-06 w/ 1.5 x6 Redfield, and Ruger #1 Tropical 375 H & H

Posts: 11 | Location: East of Knoxville | Registered: 11 January 2021Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I too would like one of those to be a 300H&H, Why, no good reason, just nostalgia...and Ive havn't gotten over selling my old beat up pre 64 mod 70 300 H&H on AR to someone I don't recall..If your still out there do ya wanna sell it back to me?? rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41755 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My best friend growing up had a 30-06 Win Mod 70 featherweight and his father had a Pre 64 standard in same caliber. Always killed deer and Elk. I always had everything other than that caliber and I honestly have no real reason not to own one. Another friend had the same featherweight in a short action 308 and it also accounted for several deer and elk.
I have 308s and I have a 300 H&H but no 30-06. I also have the 375Ruger so if I had to only have two calibers I could pretty much stick with the H&H and the 375 and not want for anything else.

Luckily we have the ability to choose multiple other calibers and not be stuck with two.

I have looked at my gun safe and have selling off some of my guns that I just don't shoot anymore. I am thinking about doing this to buy more guns but not for me. I'll more than likely be buying rifles for my son. He's turning 11 next month so he's going to need a shotgun and a centerfire Rifle soon. He can't hunt large game here in NV until 12 so that means he will be 13 before he's able to put in for a Jr tag. Maybe AZ will allow him. Either way he needs to start getting familiar with rifles.

Posts: 741 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My latest endeavor is a shot out Brno mod. 21 8x57 that Ie had for years and I rechambered it to a 8mm-06 and really liked it. I recently pushed it out to the ackley IMP version and I really like it better than ever, it shoots as flat as a 300 and kills like a 338-06 IMP or 338 Win...Interesting little gun, easy to pack, shoots great, fits in a saddle scabbard..New toy for an older gentleman, that be me!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am trying to be an 8mm fan. I have a liking for the 325 WSM. I was planning on using one for moose season, but things did not work out.
It may not be a 338 Winchester, but I think close enough for the majority of situations.

As a firearms enthusiast, I have more than one rifle in the 325. The one that has my present attention is a Kimber Montana with the barrel cut to 22-1/4”. This is definitely an easy packing rifle.
I think a 200 grain monolithic bullet at 2750-2950 is pretty sufficient for most any North American game. Not my preference for a close range grizzly fight, but lesser has certainly worked.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Therein lays madness !

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4187 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Phil,
LOL, yep no vaccine for it either.

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
Therein lays madness !

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Fortunately we have this support group

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So true as to the support group.
And the firearms emporium off the Palmer / Wasilla.

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
You are referring to your next door neighbor ?
I am in there often for consultation

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A most definite yes, on that next door neighbor! Laughing at the consultation visits ! Frequently that time spent is expensive.
It seems they often have a used rifle that needs re-homing.

quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
You are referring to your next door neighbor ?
I am in there often for consultation

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I agree with ray, but would choose the H&H over the Ruger. Big Grin

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Lou:
I agree with ray, but would choose the H&H over the Ruger. Big Grin

Reasoning ?? Other than nostalgia ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Well its been sometime now and yesterday I sold my 8mm/06 Ackley, Brno m-21, dies, ammo, bullets and cases...but of course ya'll knew that was bound to happen sooner or later!! Eeker Now what? Im on the hunt for something interesting..Its a flaw in my character...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In 2002, I reamed a .338win mag to .338/300win and got very close performance to the .340wby. Working up loads with a 250gr Sierra and Hornady Spire pt, I started at 65gr of XMR4350 and quit around 78gr using a Rem 700 action and sporter barrel. The low end loads were like .308win loads.

Because of my wildcatting, I quit using the .300win mag. Found the next best thing was reaming an``06 barrel to Ackley Improved. With a 200gr or heavier bulllet, the AI'ed O6 is close enough to magnum performers.

Had the .375ruger case been available, I would have preferred it for wildcatting. Both the same oal, but more is better right? I just rebarreled my Ruger Guide Gun To a 24" .338/300. The .338 in an 06 length case seems to be MY Best all-around rifle for Alaska.

I have a Sako 995 action rifle also chambered for .338/300. The long action enables longrange VLD bullet seating, but I've yet to test the 300gr competitions or the 315gr NEI round nose cast bullet I cast from wheelweights.

25yrs ago, I fell prey to switch-barreling. Having extra barrels chambered enables more fun for me than collecting numberous gun safes full of custom or production rifles.

I did get bored with the super-magnum ctgs, just not enough gain in performance versus the smaller magnums or AI'ed 06 variants.

Had a Win 70 classic stainless in .375 H&H, orig that rifle was a .300wby. The .375 ruger guide gun is a great tool. Just much happier now with mine asa .338/300. Sure like the Ruger CRF design without the extractor cut-out.

The .338/300 light load with the 250gr bullet is one helluva performer and easy to shoot. Then you got Lee 225gr hardcast bullets for plinking and all sorts of 225gr premiums. Sure are lots and lots of great .338 bullets to select from.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have certainly bought a factory introduced 338 Ruger on the full length 375 Ruger brass.
Heck, I probably still would.

quote:
Originally posted by aklester:
In 2002, I reamed a .338win mag to .338/300win and got very close performance to the .340wby. Working up loads with a 250gr Sierra and Hornady Spire pt, I started at 65gr of XMR4350 and quit around 78gr using a Rem 700 action and sporter barrel. The low end loads were like .308win loads.

Because of my wildcatting, I quit using the .300win mag. Found the next best thing was reaming an``06 barrel to Ackley Improved. With a 200gr or heavier bulllet, the AI'ed O6 is close enough to magnum performers.

Had the .375ruger case been available, I would have preferred it for wildcatting. Both the same oal, but more is better right? I just rebarreled my Ruger Guide Gun To a 24" .338/300. The .338 in an 06 length case seems to be MY Best all-around rifle for Alaska.

I have a Sako 995 action rifle also chambered for .338/300. The long action enables longrange VLD bullet seating, but I've yet to test the 300gr competitions or the 315gr NEI round nose cast bullet I cast from wheelweights.

25yrs ago, I fell prey to switch-barreling. Having extra barrels chambered enables more fun for me than collecting numberous gun safes full of custom or production rifles.

I did get bored with the super-magnum ctgs, just not enough gain in performance versus the smaller magnums or AI'ed 06 variants.

Had a Win 70 classic stainless in .375 H&H, orig that rifle was a .300wby. The .375 ruger guide gun is a great tool. Just much happier now with mine asa .338/300. Sure like the Ruger CRF design without the extractor cut-out.

The .338/300 light load with the 250gr bullet is one helluva performer and easy to shoot. Then you got Lee 225gr hardcast bullets for plinking and all sorts of 225gr premiums. Sure are lots and lots of great .338 bullets to select from.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 Ackley has taken a beating mostly from shooter/reloaders, who seem to pass on what they read as fact, towit I was guilty for some years of being a 06 Ackley basher.

Then one day I traded for a well used mod-70 pre 64 fwt in 30-06. Low and behold the case ejected 06 Ackley Imp fireformed...

Well I loaded up a number of recommended loads for the Ackley with a friends dies...The end result was a wake up call to me, that puppy would walk on the heels or my handloaded 300 H&H and 300 to 400 fps over my std 30-06...I owe old parker an apoligy...Loaded to its full extent, 30-06 ACkley is a sizzler..

I won't ruin my pre 64 30-06 collector value, but if I run across another old o6 I might just have to have a new wildcat. I had the same experience with my 8x60, it made a hell of an elk rifle when punched out to 8mm/06 Ackley, but I shot some elk and deer with it and sold it recently..

In my late years Ive become somewhat of a Ackley fan as a matter of fact! tu2 beer

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Now and after all this palaver on my choice of calibers, that was just for that day only, tomarrow brings greater conquests like a 404 Jefferys and the great 9.3x62!! yeehaw

PS, still got my ugly pre 64 mod 70 30-06, but its too worn to sell, no blue, 4X driftwood stock, dings by the dozens, scolloped on left but from rubbing on a horses butt, glass peeking out here and there, but still shoots half inch groups 3, 5 or 10..and it will always be my backup or primary, it never stays at home..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120