New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 H&H rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Remington 700. Shot very little (no wear on the bolt, bolt face has no circle or wear, chamber/throat, rifling perfect), metal in perfect condition, wood has few minor wear marks. The price is $800 which seems good. I never owned Remington 700, is there anything I should watch out for. It comes with sold brown recoil pad which seems useless for recoil reduction. Can you recommend good functional replacement pad that does not hang up on clothing during gun mounting? Thank you for positive and negative feedback.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
I had Rem 700 SPS rifle, passed it onto my eldest son. I free floated the plastic stock.
The 700 action is not the smoothest I have come across, always feels a bit gritty with the finish on the metal work used by Remington and the trigger although adjustable is not as good as other rifles in a similar price bracket.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I detest Remington 700s.

Awful, accountant designed rifles. Don't get me started on the safeties.

It's a soulless rifle, machine made and ugly.

My $0.02 only, of course.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13378 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Designed after WW2 to be producible and affordable at a time when the old designs were not.
Nothing wrong with them. Usually very accurate. Rare too find one that is not smooth.
Snobs will not like them, but millions of them do work quite well. The Army uses them as their bolt action sniper rifle.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, then.

Sign me up as a 100%, card-carrying snob. Cool

Remington 700s are hideous things, made for the proletariat. Big Grin

Mike

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That part is true; most modern bolt actions are cnc machine made so the peasants will have something to hunt with. (And they are usually embarrassingly accurate) I do not carry modern CNC made products into the field; however, the OP asked for feedback, and I interpreted that to mean, how do they perform? I do have a dozen of them; some people want them for target rifles and I bust them down for the actions.

Posts: 17094 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Snobbery aside, I think it would be a great rifle to have. Which model 700?
I recently bought a 700, it is a BDL which has bottom metal and hinged floor plate. The ADL does not and should cost a little less. Then there are the later tupperware versions that I dont know or care about.
The only thing I would warn against would be the availability of 300 H&H brass which I assume is not what it used to be. Maybe Im wrong about that, but it would be worth investigating. The 300 H&H seems to be a dying breed, but if you can locate some reloading supplies I think it would be a novel chambering to own.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Is this one of the 700 classic made in the yearly special run? If so, it is probably a nice rifle and has appeal to a Remington collector. That said, I have been looking for 300 h+h brass for 6 months with no success. Even loaded ammo is expensive and very difficult to find today.

Posts: 5697 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the Remington 700, and the style of the rifles. They are affordable and generally shoot well, but often they should be seen as a starting point for something much better. Actions can be trued, triggers fettled etc. i have a left hand 700 SPS in 223. The plastic stock is functional. But I spent much of lockdown making a classic styled gentleman’s sniper / varmint rifle stock. It shoots really well. I have also polished up the bolt and race ways, lapped the lugs so it all feeds more smoothly.

I don’t think they harden the steel in same way as many European rifles - notably the Mausers but they still shoot well.

Posts: 981 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 28 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer Winchester 70's but I do have a couple of Rem 700's in 300RUM and 338RUM. They are not the smoothest actions but they are accurate. I also have a Rem 721 in 300 H&H and enjoy shooting it. Almost forgot, I also have a David Tooley custom 700 in 300 Extreme from pre RUM era.

Posts: 886 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
The only thing I would warn against would be the availability of 300 H&H brass which I assume is not what it used to be. Maybe Im wrong about that, but it would be worth investigating. The 300 H&H seems to be a dying breed, but if you can locate some reloading supplies I think it would be a novel chambering to own.

It can be hard to find, and when you do find some, it can be expensive - from $2.75 to over $3.25 per case.

But 150 cases should last many years.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
If it is the rifle I think it is the only thing wrong with it is that it has a 24" barrel and the 300 H&H will benefit from a longer tube.

Personally I've transitioned away from 700s but I've owned many in the past and not had any issues with them right out of the box.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12857 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
I have a Remington 700 BDL in 270 Win. Although I have a custom wooden stock, I use the original plastic one, though subsequently bedded.
I have carried and used this rifle extensively over the last twenty years and it has served me very well.
However... if I was to own a classic cartridge like a 300 H&H, I would look for a more classic-styled rifle.

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
More great shooting rifles have been built on a 700 action by 10 to 1 margin (or one of the near countless clones) compared to all others. Just based on the track record, it must be good. Just glace at all the aftermarket goodies for it.

I have a dozen or so and most have been improved with a custom barrel, but with that said, most factory barrels shoot pretty well too.

There's nothing wrong with being a snob but no one can refute the results of a 700.

Zeke

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That Winchester Model 70 in 300 H&H in the classifieds here with a Dakota rifles barrel would be the one I'd pick.

Posts: 20083 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is very likely the classic model made in a limited number as stated in an earlier response. I have one in the 221 fireball. Super accurate and a nice rifle. I think the price is very good. You won't lose money on it.

Posts: 376 | Location: USA | Registered: 26 March 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have many 700s. They’re accurate, reliable and have a ton of after market replacement parts, if you want to customize. Some have trigger issues which can be remedied with $150 Trigger Tech or Timney, and 10 minutes of your time.
They do not have “nose in the air” appeal of Pre 64 model 70s though.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2634 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Count me as a snob, and I have that option..Im no fan of the Rem 700 or anything that Rem produces for that matter since they discontinue ammo that they produced rifles for like the 5mm..They are the snobs, not the users..

I did like the old 721 and 722 for a using gun with a better stock design for me anyway..

that said I prefer the Win mod 70s, Ruger 77s and the great 98 Mauser..I opt for control feed especially for DG, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...

but that said a Rem 700 in 300 H&H for $800 would be an exception IMO I would jump on that one.. shocker my snob status be damned! tu2

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have plenty of ammo and 3-9x42 scope waiting. At this point it looks pretty good. Next week I am going to go over the gun little more carefully, check the rifling, make sure receiver screws aren't damaged, carefully check wood to make sure there are no hairline cracks,....
I heard internet rumors so I have to ask. Did anyone witness or had brazed bolt handle come off or a gun go off when safety was disengaged? Do I really need something like Timney trigger unit or Sako extractor? Thank you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
More great shooting rifles have been built on a 700 action by 10 to 1 margin (or one of the near countless clones) compared to all others. Just based on the track record, it must be good. Just glace at all the aftermarket goodies for it.

I have a dozen or so and most have been improved with a custom barrel, but with that said, most factory barrels shoot pretty well too.

There's nothing wrong with being a snob but no one can refute the results of a 700.

Zeke

Well said!

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Definite no on the sako extractor. IMO they are unsafe and unneeded.

I have owned many 700s, been around hundreds.....never seen a bolt handle come loose....

Posts: 41766 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought a well used Remington 721 300 H&H a few years ago. I was able to find brass fairly easy thank god. It had a Weaver variable power scope and the rifle is dated around 1952 I believe. Sadly the stock has a hairline crack in the wrist so I dropped it in a plastic take off stock I had laying around until I can find an original to put it back into.

Even with that cheap plastic stock that rifle shoots tiny groups. All of my pre Freedom Group Remingtons shot tiny groups. It wasn't until they were bought up by Freedom Group that their quality took a nose dive.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JTEX:
Definite no on the sako extractor. IMO they are unsafe and unneeded.

I have owned many 700s, been around hundreds.....never seen a bolt handle come loose....

JTEX, please explain about the extractor. I had mine replaced with a Sako one on the advice of a gunsmith when I bought it twenty years ago.
I would not know if it was the right decision or not, but do not appear to have had any problems having done so.
What is the reasoning for the alteration?

Posts: 779 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will get myself in trouble here, and that’s why I try to keep my thoughts to myself.

I know a little bit about firearms, and I will never own a Rem700. I don’t trust them, too many issues over the years.

I have shot more big game with the 300H&H over the years. I’ve found that 200-220 gr bullets are the best.

I would look for a Model70 or a custom rifle. No problem getting brass or bullets.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paolo9,5x73:

I heard internet rumors so I have to ask. Did anyone witness or had brazed bolt handle come off or a gun go off when safety was disengaged? Do I really need something like Timney trigger unit or Sako extractor? Thank you.

I have had both happen to me, luckily in situations where nothing or no one was endangered.
The post-64 Model 70 Winchester has a much superior method of bolt handle attachment. The same holds true for the safety.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the number of law suits against Remington, most involve the death or injury of the shooter due to the trigger, a fact Remington won't admit, they just settle out of court with massive settlements.. look that up, its put them in financial jeopardy. but to each his own, got no dog in this fight, but did bother to research it enough to form an opinion based on that..

I love the 300 H&H caliber, hunted with it for many years, Had 3 two were converted mod 70 pre64s from 30-06s and one was an original 300 H&H..What will amaze you is it will get velocities on the heels of a 300 Wby with good handloads..Not hard on brass if you headspace on the shoulder and not on the belt..I loved the 200 gr. Nosler partition and the Accubonds..

If you already have this gun, just watch for problems in the trigger and action, use it a bit, and if nothing raises its ugly head, your good to go..Maybe have a good gunsmith look it over, these incidents don't apply to all 700s, but enough to hurt their reputation, and where there is that much smoke, chances are there is fire..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41814 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:

I have had both happen to me, luckily in situations where nothing or no one was endangered.
The post-64 Model 70 Winchester has a much superior method of bolt handle attachment. The same holds true for the safety.

When does it go off. When safety is switched on/off? I want to thoroughly test the gun using
snap caps. The trigger seemed very good at about 4lb. Before I put nice recoil pad on I will use Remington "bumper pad" as a bumper against wood floor to make sure the gun does not fire when bumped with safety on and off.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you're worried about the trigger then just buy a Timney or other brand drop in trigger and be worry free.

Posts: 743 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 23 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry but thats not the case it seems, I read that in some magazine some time back..but its of no importence, I prefer win mod. 70 pre 64s and Mausers, control feed, just old school, and not likely to change..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I looked into the issue as well being a new 700 owner. I will just say that I have no intention of buying a timney trigger to replace mine. I inspected mine thoroughly and did a bunch of research and I am convinced that mine is perfectly safe. There was a certain vintage of Remington triggers that I might be a little leary of in spite of the fact that hundreds of thousands of them were used safely for decades, but mine isnt it.
Any trigger can be made unsafe by a nut with a screwdriver. I dont care what name is on it. You want a safe trigger? Make sure it has adequate sear engagement. Most people nowadays dont even make that a consideration though, much less a priority. Its really not as complicated as the hype makes it out to be. Just a lot of fuzzy lines you gotta read between.

Posts: 10127 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
please explain about the extractor. I had mine replaced with a Sako one on the advice of a gunsmith when I bought it twenty years ago.

The Sako-type extractor can be blown off and rearward by a blown primer/case failure. On the Sako there is a bolt guide immediately behind it which prevents it, in the instance of a primer or case failure, from being ejected from the action and possibly into the shooter's eye/face.

If installed on a Remington 700, which has no bolt guide, a blown extractor can come out the side of the action -- or down the RH bolt raceway -- and into the face of the shooter.

This makes it a potentially dangerous modification for the Rem 700. I've had two extractors on Sakos blown off by primer failures. In both instances there was no harm done and the extractor was recovered (inside the action) and put back in place undamaged. I hate to think what the results might have been in the absence of a bolt guide.

Posts: 13227 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no such thing as a safe trigger or anything made by man so to speak, the safe gun is one thats alway pointed in the right direction when it goes off intentionally or by accident. Its that last nut behind the stock that fails..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Robinson:
I detest Remington 700s.

Awful, accountant designed rifles. Don't get me started on the safeties.

It's a soulless rifle, machine made and ugly.

My $0.02 only, of course.

As much as I want to agree with you, my craptastic SPS groups .4" at 100 yards with Federal Gold Medal Match.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
quote:

When does it go off. When safety is switched on/off? I want to thoroughly test the gun using
snap caps. The trigger seemed very good at about 4lb. Before I put nice recoil pad on I will use Remington "bumper pad" as a bumper against wood floor to make sure the gun does not fire when bumped with safety on and off.

I understood they fired when the safety was put off, if the trigger had been pulled when the safety was on.
Obviously most people do not normally pull a trigger when the safety is on unless checking the safety on an empty chamber. However it is not uncommon for shooters in the heat of the moment to forget to take the safety off when shooting at an animal and it is this sort of scenario which would create a very dangerous situation if the rifle fired when the safety was put off either to make the shot or at a later stage when say back at the vehicle or camp etc., when the rifle was being unloaded.

Posts: 3847 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re the Remington Trigger. On mine I have the X-Mark Pro trigger. The safety works on the trigger and when applied it blocks both the trigger itself, so that it cannot be pulled, as well as the sear so it cannot fall. Trigger pull is pretty good without creep etc. perfectly usable.

A Timney or Jewell trigger etc will have a better pull and feel. And they easy and simple to fit. Whether its worth spending money - its your choice. Probably worth on older Remingtons where trigger may well have been messed with. One day I may change mine - cost in UK is quite a bit higher than in US, so quite low on priority list.

But safety is still a trigger blocking safety. A much better safety is one that is on the bolt shroud and blocks the firing pin - the Winchester Mod 70 style, and you can get after markets for the Rem 700, but you do need an element of machining.

Personally, I am not one for carrying a rifle with a round in the chamber all the time. Many do even whilst rifle is slung. I don’t. I only chamber a round when a shot is imminent ie I am expecting to take a shot any moment, the rifle is in hand and under total control.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:
Re the Remington Trigger. On mine I have the X-Mark Pro trigger. The safety works on the trigger and when applied it blocks both the trigger itself, so that it cannot be pulled, as well as the sear so it cannot fall. Trigger pull is pretty good without creep etc. perfectly usable.

A Timney or Jewell trigger etc will have a better pull and feel. And they easy and simple to fit. Whether its worth spending money - its your choice. Probably worth on older Remingtons where trigger may well have been messed with. One day I may change mine - cost in UK is quite a bit higher than in US, so quite low on priority list.

But safety is still a trigger blocking safety. A much better safety is one that is on the bolt shroud and blocks the firing pin - the Winchester Mod 70 style, and you can get after markets for the Rem 700, but you do need an element of machining.

Personally, I am not one for carrying a rifle with a round in the chamber all the time. Many do even whilst rifle is slung. I don’t. I only chamber a round when a shot is imminent ie I am expecting to take a shot any moment, the rifle is in hand and under total control.

With the terrain and stalk hunting I do, not chambering a round would result in many opportunities. Have a solid safety and familiarity with your rifle. I only hunt now with Steyr CLII in two different calibers, and I know them by heart.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeshooter:
Is this one of the 700 classic made in the yearly special run? If so, it is probably a nice rifle and has appeal to a Remington collector. That said, I have been looking for 300 h+h brass for 6 months with no success. Even loaded ammo is expensive and very difficult to find today.

Here you go.

https://firearms-world.com/pro...h-mag-hornady-cases/

I'm a big fan of the 300 H&H. It's the only 300 Mag that interests me. Mine is in a Boddington Ruger No. 1.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Buckeye, try ET BRass..You can always use 375 H&H brass, just run it through a file trim die or you 300 H&H dies with a tapered button...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mdstewart:
quote:
Originally posted by Heym SR20:

With the terrain and stalk hunting I do, not chambering a round would result in many opportunities. Have a solid safety and familiarity with your rifle. I only hunt now with Steyr CLII in two different calibers, and I know them by heart.

There is a tendency here in the UK for stalkers to load a round into the chamber as soon as they leave the vehicle, stick the rifle on its sling and off they go. Most use a silencer / moderator on the end of the barrel and very quickly barrel is pointing at 45 degrees. And they carry the rifle like this all day long including across areas where no chance of seeing a deer. And they don’t making the rifle safe when climbing fences etc.

If you carry a right handed rifle on your left shoulder the safety can catch in clothing, then trigger gets caught as you are pushing past a tree and bang the rifle goes off and no control over where the bullet ends up. It’s happened to me and have seen it happen.

So now I only chamber a round when I expect to shoot and keep the rifle under control. Yes If I am stalking in woodland or anticipating there might be a deer just over the next rise I will chamber a round. And there are some days when a round is in the chamber for most of the day.

But I know individuals, especially who use a decocking rifle such as a Blaser carry their rifle chambered all the time. Even when its in a slip or being carried in their pack. I don’t hunt with such individuals.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im with MR, I also detest the Rem 700, but surprisingly liked the Rem 721 and 722, not unusual when the bean counters start making changes they can screw up an anvil with a powder puff..

Where there is that much smoke, there is fire,so Ive passed over the years. Only thoes that don't accept the failure of the 700 need worry.. shocker

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120