Find
Notify
Tools

A few questions about actions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of GrosVentreGeorge
posted
Does anybody make an intermediate action these days? Who did in the past? Is it possible to find one? Does anybody make a long action that is shorter than the others or a short action that is longer than most.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Whatcha tryin to do?

I can't think of anyone that is making (currently making) an action longer than a short and shorter than a long, however I've been known to have been wrong once in the past.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
If I am not mistaken, Cooper's medium action is 3.1"

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Also not sure what ya want to do, but Sako made 5 different action sizes (really 5 1/2 as they stopped making the 3 size and made a SM size for the short mags) for the M-75 series rifles. The current M-85 is offered in 5 also to my knowledge.

I'll try and post a link.
Sako Hunter Stainless Specifications

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
There's an FW Heym intermediate length commercial mauser over on AA right now:

http://www.auctionarms.com/Search/DisplayItem.cfm?ItemNum=8278549

The Yugo mausers were also intermediate length.

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The montana short action is long enough for 7X57 class of rounds.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
I forgot to answer part of the question in my original post.
I have two rifles on the M96 action which I'm pretty sure is and intermediate, this action cycles long seated bullets for both my .257 Roberts and 6.5x55. Depending on what cartridge you are building the rifle on you may think about a 96 action. One of mine is a commercial Husqvarna and the other is a sporterized ex-military.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
...tj3006

The MRC short action will take a 3.2" cartridge with no modifications.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12500 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going to build one a Mauser M48 or one of the 24/47 surplus rifles are perfect for the 7x57. Mine is built on a 24/47.

Leftists are intellectually vacant, but there is no greater pleasure than tormenting the irrational.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Do yourself a favor and build your 7x57 on a std. M-98 action like a 1909 Argentina or something on that order. I like the G33-40 best of all..

If you use an 06 length action then you can long throat the chamber and seat your bullets out to the length of the std. box and that will inhance performance immensley, especially with H414 powder.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41730 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
...tj3006

The MRC short action will take a 3.2" cartridge with no modifications.

The Montana is really an intemediate by cartridge class but its exterior dimensions put it in the magnum action class. LOA on my MRC shorty is about 3/16ths shorter than my CZ 550 Magnum in 550 Magnum. having said that, I have 2.

They make a robust rifle in big kickers; my first is in 376 Steyr and the other is patiently waiting for the right short big bore. Maybe a 416 Z-Hat. And I have 2 PH models on order if they ever produce them. You just can't make a very petite rifle from one of the short actions.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Most of the Ruger actions are intermediate (30-06) length actions. Even their new 375 Ruger rifles are based on this length....

Sako has the most choices, but they don't come cheap.

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What I kind of had in mind was a custom 7x57 and 257 roberts or maybe a 6.5x55. I like the idea of having a matched pair with everything the way I want it. In other posts people had refered to the intermediate action when discussing these chamberings. I just wasn't sure which actions were true intermediate actions.

"I would rather have a German division in front of me than a French one behind me." -- General George S. Patton

Posts: 427 | Location: The Big Sky aka Dodson, MT | Registered: 22 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Another way to get there with a Mauser is to buy two of the Husqvarna sporters made on the '96 action. Shootable 8 x 57 guns can be had for under $300; add a new barrel, LaPour 3-position safety which also changes it to cock-on-opening and a modified bolt handle for low scope mounting and you have a very nice small-ring intermediate action. The barrel and stock can be sold as parts on the internet.

The LaPour shroud also address some folks' concern about gas shielding. The much-talked about 3rd lug on the '98 isn't there but it isn't on a Rem 700, Model 70, Sako, Savage, Ruger, Sauer, MRC and many other perfectly safe actions, either.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Short, med and long actions were originally based on M98 type actions sized for the .308 - .30-06 - .375 HH length cartridges. Then the really short actions specially made for .222 family sort of messed that system up! So, what's "medium" now? Wink

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So what about a 7x64? Would a Mauser 98 be a good candidate for this round?