THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Which bolt action has the quietest cycle?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which bolt action has the quietest cycle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
One of the advantages of a semi automatic rifle is the noise of getting the next round into the chamber is included in the bang of the shot. Some game seem to not know which direction the shot came from and are somewhat disoriented for a second. The echo of the shot is the last thing the animals hear and they might run in any direction if they are missed or they were in a group and not the intended target. Of course if the animal is dead, it may not of heard anything and is not of any matter in this question.
The remaining animals are on high alert and the metalic clicks of the bolt cycling will help the animals locate your position no matter how carefully/slowly you reload a shell into a bolt action.
I do own a lot of CRF actions but even my post 64 mod 70 is hard to reload quietly.

Posts: 208 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: 14 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Confused roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
Quietest second shot would be a double rifle.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2313 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My solution to that problem is to cycle the action immediately after the shot is fired, when presumably the animal is still deafened from the noise.

I once "harvested" three does in a row from my soybean field at a range of around 200 yards. Of the original three, the other two simply stood and stared at the third as it lay on the ground. Ditto for the third. I was using my 7X57 built on a G33/40 action, also not a particularly silently operating action.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sauer 200/202 is pretty quiet.

Posts: 1312 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the Sauer would get my vote as well.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 30-40 krag is super quiet too.
more of a schlock noise than anything metallic.

Posts: 4969 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RMiller
posted Hide Post
I guess unless you don't always hunt with one in the chamber. Then which action type is quieter to chamber that first round. Big Grin

--------------------
THANOS WAS RIGHT!

Posts: 9823 | Location: Montana | Registered: 25 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess if one is slow on the reload. A good bolt gunner has a 2nd round chambered as the gun is coming back down out of recoil.

It never leaves his shoulder during the reload.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would put this pretty far down on the list of things I was looking for in a new rifle.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
I would put this pretty far down on the list of things I was looking for in a new rifle.

Yep

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I only have 4 manufacturers to comment on

Ruger MK2
Kimber NY
Remington 700
Browning A Bolt

Hands down 100% without a doubt the Browning A-bolt

Butter smooth and quiet

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your question has never entered my mind?! I have never given it any thought as to which rifle is the quietest, but I have and do shoot many animals in mobs, one after the other. I have always found many deer will either stand around, or mill around, a fallen member after a shot. They will also continue to feed after only a few minutes after a shot if not aware of the hunters presence. Your assumption that the animal hearing a shot will click that it is from a human exbounds arrogance I haven't seen in a while.
Do you see many animals, apart from domestic pets, fleeing from thunder, road noise or other sources of regular occurrence? I certainly don't where I live and hunt. I worked for several years on a dairy farm, every milking, morning and afternoon, we had deer come in with the cattle to feed in the troughs, tractor, quads and farm vehicles didn't spook them one bit, but a human voice had them heading for the hills in no time flat.
Animals don't always affiliate mechanical noises with danger.

Cheers.
tu2

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
416 My question was not the shot noise but the sound made by cyling a bolt action to load a cartridge. These Texas deer i have been shooting at get kind of concerned at the initial report of the gun not to mention the thump of the bullet's impact on their friend that was standing 10 feet away. I'm not talking about a long shot where you are clearly outside of the deer's hearing.
Sorry - I didn't mean to exbound on ya.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rnovi:
Quietest second shot would be a double rifle.

I have several books from preWW1 where British sportsman Express their disgust for repetingrifles because there are cheap and all noisy.
I would say a Sauer 80/90 is very very smooth...or perhaps a Mannlicher Schönauer.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll second jens on the Mannlicher/Schoenauer but as another poster mentioned, the Krag has to be close.

DRSS: E. M. Reilley 500 BPE
E. Goldmann in Erfurt, 11.15 X 60R

Those who fail to study history are condemned to repeat it

Posts: 502 | Location: In The Sticks, Missouri  | Registered: 02 February 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 416RigbyHunter:
Your question has never entered my mind?! I have never given it any thought as to which rifle is the quietest, but I have and do shoot many animals in mobs, one after the other. I have always found many deer will either stand around, or mill around, a fallen member after a shot. They will also continue to feed after only a few minutes after a shot if not aware of the hunters presence. Your assumption that the animal hearing a shot will click that it is from a human exbounds arrogance I haven't seen in a while.
Do you see many animals, apart from domestic pets, fleeing from thunder, road noise or other sources of regular occurrence? I certainly don't where I live and hunt. I worked for several years on a dairy farm, every milking, morning and afternoon, we had deer come in with the cattle to feed in the troughs, tractor, quads and farm vehicles didn't spook them one bit, but a human voice had them heading for the hills in no time flat.

Cheers.
tu2

I can't speak to animals or conditions in N E Victoria, Australia. But I can assure you, sir, that a group of WT deer or sounder of hogs, where I hunt, will instantly vanish into the brush, after a shot, and not wait around to see where it came from. Perhaps your assumption that animals all around the world behave as those in your little corner of it "exbounds with arrogance".

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
quote:
Originally posted by 416RigbyHunter:

Cheers.
tu2

I can't speak to animals or conditions in N E Victoria, Australia. But I can assure you, sir, that a group of WT deer or sounder of hogs, where I hunt, will instantly vanish into the brush, after a shot, and not wait around to see where it came from. Perhaps your assumption that animals all around the world behave as those in your little corner of it "exbounds with arrogance".

I did not say that ALL animals EVERYWHERE will stand around after a shot, I only mentioned that I have seen them do so in 20+ years of shooting and hunting, hogs, goats, foxes, rabbits, buffalo and deer, just to mention a few.
If you don't find the question arrogant, more to you, sir.

Eeker

Posts: 683 | Location: N E Victoria, Australia. | Registered: 26 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally I dont think animals hear a quick reload. I hunt with one up, mostly.

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have seen A bear hear the click of A safety, know what it is, and be gone. Hunted that bear for two seasons. Will never forget him. I was close twice, but never got A shot. Sometimes the ones you remember most are the ones you didn't get.

Posts: 94 | Location: Hastings, Mn | Registered: 08 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tikka....slickest action known to mankind.

Posts: 2276 | Location: West Texas | Registered: 07 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mannlicher Schönauer by a country mile!

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Sauer 202.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Its never been a problem with me, not even when culling animals in a group..I believe it to be a more or less perceived problem. Perhaps if the sound of the shot doesn't drive them off then I don't believe the sound of reloading would

It may be problematic in elephant shooting, or so I have been told by those who know profess to know such things, and considering the short range elephants are shot at, it could be, but even heavy breathing might give you away to anything with ears that big!

the Krag is the smoothest of all actions.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am torn between a Krag and a Mannlicher-Schönauer on this one..

Posts: 3965 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
I am torn between a Krag and a Mannlicher-Schönauer on this one..

Good choices but I will go with the Shultz and Larsen.

Posts: 492 | Location: Queensland, Australia | Registered: 26 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have owned or used just about every brand out there. My model 1903 6.5 MS carbine was the quietest, followed by my Sakos.

I should just sell what I own and buy a Sauer 202, then extra barrels. Not just for the quiet, but for everything about them. OT, sorry.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A Sauer 202 or earlier version is the quietest and smoothest action I've seen, and I've owned them all at one time or another. The only problem with the Sauers, that ugly stock design. Functional yes, but butt ugly. Even a great piece of wood doesn't cover up butt ugly.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Yes, the Sauer would get my vote as well.

agreed. The Sauer is the most quiet I've ever heard.

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
Mannlicher Schoenauer 1950
Colt Sauer
Kleinguenther

The Champlin I handled once was super soft cycle and quiet too

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
wfh knows what I am talking about with his bear. That one little click that sends them off.( He must have been fairly close. )
This concern does't seem important and it isn't in many situations... untill it happens to you.
I don't see a lot of Sauers in South Texas.
Thanks for the input. Kaprota

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have handled and fired a few SAKO rifles that were "slick as wet ice". Don't recall a great deal of noise generated.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote