New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have always had the hankering to own a 300 Weatherby, but i have read mixed reviews on which Weatherby rifle to buy, the old ones made in CA, Germany or Japan and of course now the new ones.

Anyone with any thoughts on this? What are the new ones like?

I do like accurate rifles, so that would be important.

Thanks,

AR

Posts: 2534 | Location: New York, USA | Registered: 13 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I really liked my Japanese Deluxe Mark V. It was really accurate with a good trigger too.

If I find one in a Ruger 1 or Remington Classic series I'll probably get another.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
There are three varieties of the Mark V; German, Japanese and American. In a nutshell they got progressively better as time went on. I would unhesitatingly buy any of the made in USA ones over the earlier ones.

I've been around each version of them and have had great luck with my USA .300 Wby Accumark it's definitely one of my favorites and would be one of the last rifles I ever sold. The only downside to it is it could be a little lighter, but they sell other versions that are.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arjun,

The Weatherby Howas come in 300 WBY and there isn't a thing wrong with them. As the fall approaches Sportsman's Warehouse will have several models available at 1/2 the price of a Mark V.

Mark

MARK H. YOUNG
MARK'S EXCLUSIVE ADVENTURES
7094 Oakleigh Dr. Las Vegas, NV 89110
Office 702-848-1693
Cell, Whats App, Signal 307-250-1156 PREFERRED
E-mail markttc@msn.com
Check us out on https://www.facebook.com/pages...ures/627027353990716

Posts: 12853 | Location: LAS VEGAS, NV USA | Registered: 04 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My go to rifle for sure, I have 3. I have two 700 classics, I think they were the 1989 year. I also have one made with a 26in stainless fluted barrel. Basically same rifle as a sendero. Was quite heavy on the September elk hunt but man is it accurate. With the heavy barrel the recoil is manageable for me at least.

Keep yer powder dry and yer knife sharp.

Posts: 580 | Location: Texas City, TX. USA. | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Of course Weatherby has basically two type actions to work with. The Mark V and the cheaper Vanguard (Howa) with lots of versions of each.

To me at least the Mark V IS a Weatherby. It's a very strong, fast operating and smooth action. Theirs a reason Roy went to the Mark V after using various actions couldn't handle the pressures of Weatherby's cartridges long term. Not a problem in the Mark V.

Don't believe seemly endless myths and detractors of Weatherby's. It's one thing not to like the looks but the rifle is strong, smooth and accurate and very well made, something I can't say about many new rifles today. You get what you pay for. Mine has been to many places and has worked without fail each time.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2788 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I sold my .300 Weatherby, serial number 283, on an FN action. Weatherby has been going down hill since the early 1950s.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So you sold a 70 year old gun you have owned since the 1950s? Must have been a pretty good gun to hang around in your safe for that long?

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KY Nimrod:
So you sold a 70 year old gun you have owned since the 1950s? Must have been a pretty good gun to hang around in your safe for that long?

Never said I owned that long, that is when it was made. I prefer older firearms and like the ealy Weatherby rifles much more than the newer Mark V and after. I still retain my uncle's .270 WCF Southgate rifle. The number is less than 900 and it has been in the family since 1953. As I'm selling out, it, too, will go on the block soon.

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old FN in .300. Does everything a rifle needs to do.

You might want to consider that the older ones usually had a 1:12 twist where I believe the newer makes have a 1:10. It may make a difference with heavier copper bullets. I have yet to try any in mine, which is most likely 1:12.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked the older FNs, but some developed head space for whatever reason, mine never did..

The caliber is awesome, a killing machine on all that walks, crawls, flys or swims, that said it never was my cup of tea, why that is I have no idea..Guess my love for the 300 H&H had something to do with it at the time..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
A few months ago I sold my .300 Weatherby, serial number 283, on an FN action. Weatherby has been going down hill since the early 1950s.

I am a Weatherby guy for sure and have owned more than a few of each generation from pre Mark Vs to current WY models. They have some hits and misses, but over all the improvements have been substantial over the years in finish, functionality, accuracy, and durability (as have most manufactures). If you get a Wyoming build Mark V in 300 Weatherby you will be amazed at the quality and accuracy. Whatever rifle you choose you will definitely be impressed with the cartridge.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 460 wby shooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Quintus:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:

I am a Weatherby guy for sure and have owned more than a few of each generation from pre Mark Vs to current WY models. They have some hits and misses, but over all the improvements have been substantial over the years in finish, functionality, accuracy, and durability (as have most manufactures). If you get a Wyoming build Mark V in 300 Weatherby you will be amazed at the quality and accuracy. Whatever rifle you choose you will definitely be impressed with the cartridge.

The new Sheridan Wyoming built guns are top-notch! Of all the Weatherby's I've owned over the years my new Sheridan made 7mm weatherby Magnum is by far the nicest quality!

Posts: 817 | Location: jimtown ND | Registered: 21 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will say the California/Paso Robles Built MkV .300 WBy I have now is as good a rifle as any Sako I've owned and better than many. The only Sako I have that will outshoot it is my S20...but that gun is off the charts accurate so no fair.

The only complaint I had was the trigger would not adjust to my tastes so I replaced it with an aftermarket trigger tech. But all new MkV's come with a Trigger Tech trigger out of the box.

I'd buy another MkV in a heartbeat

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Id love one of the new Wyoming Mark V's....especially the lefty MeatEater edition in .300wby Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a pre 64 Win Mod 70 in 300 Wby that started life as a 300 H&H. I didn't do it, someone before me performed the horrible deed. Anyway, it shoots very well so I put it in a laminated stock, had the metal parkerized and it is my elk rifle I don't have to worry about banging up. I shot several bulls with it and it will put 'em down with 180 gr partitions.
Phil

Posts: 352 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 09 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phil McFall:
I've got a pre 64 Win Mod 70 in 300 Wby that started life as a 300 H&H. I didn't do it, someone before me performed the horrible deed. Anyway, it shoots very well so I put it in a laminated stock, had the metal parkerized and it is my elk rifle I don't have to worry about banging up. I shot several bulls with it and it will put 'em down with 180 gr partitions.
Phil

Many pre 64's ended up being rechambered to .300 Wby since the few anemic .300 H&H factory loads available at the time were hardly faster than a 30-06. I have an acquaintance you has one like yours.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
Its an extremely efficient killing machine, I will give it that..I have an Enfield for sale in the classified, if it doesn't move pretty quick, I will build a custom 300 Wby with it...

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41798 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote