THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    help with caliber and rifle decition
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

help with caliber and rifle decition
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Keep the .375 H&H and the .223 and sell the .416 Rigby unless you plan to hunt a lot of elephant. You can hunt everything with the .375 H&H, except maybe elephant, and it doesn't kick any harder than a .338 Winchester magnum. Ammunition is a lot cheaper than the .416 Rigby as well. You're comparing $65.00 per box of 20 for the .375 H&H to about $160.00 per box of 20 for the .416 Rigby. I have used my .375 H&H for everything from coyote up to coastal Alaskan bear with very impressive results. I will eventually try for buffalo and will again use the .375 H&H. Spend more money on shooting practice rather than more rifle purchases and trade-ins. That gets old and expensive. I don't think you could get a better all-around worldwide rifle than the .375 H&H magnum.

Thanks and good luck,

jfm

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jfm:
Keep the .375 H&H and the .223 and sell the .416 Rigby unless you plan to hunt a lot of elephant. You can hunt everything with the .375 H&H, except maybe elephant, and it doesn't kick any harder than a .338 Winchester magnum. Ammunition is a lot cheaper than the .416 Rigby as well. You're comparing $65.00 per box of 20 for the .375 H&H to about $160.00 per box of 20 for the .416 Rigby. I have used my .375 H&H for everything from coyote up to coastal Alaskan bear with very impressive results. I will eventually try for buffalo and will again use the .375 H&H. Spend more money on shooting practice rather than more rifle purchases and trade-ins. That gets old and expensive. I don't think you could get a better all-around worldwide rifle than the .375 H&H magnum.

Thanks and good luck,

jfm

Boy, I'm goimg to second this one!
Keep the 375, sell the other 2 and get a 270.

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already sold my 375. The ammo price for the 375 and the 416 are similar as I only reload those calibers. The kick on the 416 rigby realy isn't much more than the 375 and I can shoot the rigby all day long. I like my 416 rigby better anyways and have put more money into it. I really can't justify a real use for the 375 or 416 right now. I just shoot and hunt with them for fun, so why not keep the rifle I get more enjoyment out of which is the 416. The whole reason of selling the 375 was to get a lighter kicking, medium bore, deer gun with affordable ammo in a lighter weight.
I need to spend less money on shooting practice as I shoot all my guns at least once a week. I think I'm going to try and cut down to once a month. I do need to save for some hunting besides deer though.
Thanks for the advice though.

Oh and I don't want to sell the 223. I just bought it and I like being able to pick up a box of ammo for $6-$10 if I don't feel like reloading. It is shooting .3 in groups too. I'm happy with my 223

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Rechamber your 375 H&H to 375 Weatherby. You can then shoot 250g bullets at over 3000 fps for moose, elk, deer, etc. And shoot 350g North Forks soft points at 2550 fps for brown bear and cape buffalo.

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4712 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim C. <><:
"help with caliber and rifle decition "

You're asking strangers to tell you what you want? Perhaps an astrologer would do better.

gohip:

I must be getting to be a cranky old man because I agree with Jim here. You have like 43 responses here most most suggesting a 30-06. Now you want us to pick the rifle too. For heaven's sake man, grow a pair. Tika, Sako, Ruger, Remington, Winchester... they will all shoot better than you can. Figure out what you want and buy the damn thing for pete's sake!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What don't you get, I'm not asking for someone else to pick the rifle or the caliber. I'm looking for experience with rifles and calibers. because I don't want to waste my money on an inaccurate rifle. I've owned enough rifles to know that remington is 50/50 hit and miss on accuracy, all my rugers have been accurate as hell, but some haven't been able to feed or have had pressure problems with factory ammo. Tikka, I only own one and it is VERY accurate, but fails to grab a cartridge from the mag sometimes. I am asking opinions because I don't want to waste my hard earned money. I know I've gotten a lot of responses and it's helped, so thank you everyone. I just don't understand how people will get an attitude on the internet for someone asking questions and giving responses.

Posts: 973 | Location: Rapid City, SD | Registered: 08 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Okay, let me get this straight. Your Remingtons don't shoot. Your Rugers don't feed and have pressure problems with factory ammunition! That's a new one on me. You Tikkas don't feed either. I've had all of these rifles and never had a problem with any of them except the New Haven Winchesters. I think you should take up knitting because nobody else seems to be having these problems but you. And yes, you are asking everyone else to pick your rifle and caliber for you.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RaySendero:
Boy, I'm going to second this one!
Keep the 375, sell the other 2 and get a 270.

quote:
Originally posted by gohip2000:
I already sold my 375. The ammo price for the 375 and the 416 are similar as I only reload those calibers. The kick on the 416 rigby realy isn't much more than the 375 and I can shoot the rigby all day long. I like my 416 rigby better anyways and have put more money into it. I really can't justify a real use for the 375 or 416 right now. I just shoot and hunt with them for fun, so why not keep the rifle I get more enjoyment out of which is the 416. The whole reason of selling the 375 was to get a lighter kicking, medium bore, deer gun with affordable ammo in a lighter weight.
I need to spend less money on shooting practice as I shoot all my guns at least once a week. I think I'm going to try and cut down to once a month. I do need to save for some hunting besides deer though.
Thanks for the advice though.

Oh and I don't want to sell the 223. I just bought it and I like being able to pick up a box of ammo for $6-$10 if I don't feel like reloading. It is shooting .3 in groups too. I'm happy with my 223

Well OK, Then with that,
I think I'd just add a 30/06 in between'em.

________
Ray

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Ray, there is no helping this guy.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go get two(2) Winchester M-70s in 270 Win. one Pre-64 and one Classic. Put 3x9 scopes on them and go shoot everything short of ELEs.

if you dont reload buy Federal premiun 150gr Nosler partions. if you do load them.

SSR

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jpat
posted Hide Post
This is a wild thread. I've read it from start to finish. OP, you need to decide what you will be hunting. I own 16 rifle calibers. I still need a few more. A .375H&H was always the holy grail for me until I shot a .416 Rigby. For what you are looking to do, and this is speculation as there is so much in this thread, a 6.5x55 or 8x57. A 160gr 6.5x55 will hit w/ the same authority as a 200 gr .30-06. With an 8x57, you can surpass a .30-06 w/ 180gr and above handloads. A good 200gr 8x57 handload will give you a push, not a bashing and give you great velocity and accuracy. Look for a used Swede in Either caliber. A '96 action for 6.5 or a '98 action for 8mm. You could buy both and still have cash for ammo. But, never buy U.S. made ammo for either. 6.5x55 U.S. brass has the wrong head size and 8x57 is loaded to
.30-30 specs. You just seem to be waffling.

Posts: 447 | Location: NH | Registered: 09 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Ray, there is no helping this guy.

Oh Well - I tried.

________
Ray

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Okay, let me get this straight. Your Remingtons don't shoot. Your Rugers don't feed and have pressure problems with factory ammunition! That's a new one on me. You Tikkas don't feed either. I've had all of these rifles and never had a problem with any of them except the New Haven Winchesters. I think you should take up knitting because nobody else seems to be having these problems but you. And yes, you are asking everyone else to pick your rifle and caliber for you.
that's bs, there are other people who have had these problems too. And no,I'm not asking people to choose my rifle for me. That's what you think I'm asking. This thread is going to turn into an arguing match, so let's just stop the thread here.
+ I got plenty of advice and information. Thank to all info and posts everyone

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifles:
1. Remington XCR. My son has one that shoots everything well. It is easily the best shooting rifle in the house.
2. Tikka. Never shot one but I would choose it over a Cooper.
3. Cooper last. They shoot lights out, but feel clunky to me.

Cartridges:
270, 280 & 30-06. Pick one, all are good.
My personal favorite is a 270.
The 280 is the same.
30-06 is never a mistake even though I do not own one.
4. A Tikka in a 6.5x55 would be nice combination.
5. 300 WSM. I have friend who owns one and will never part with it. He like 150gr Nosler Ballistic Tips. Tips deer over right now and even killed his Black hills elk with it a few years ago.

My choice would be a 270 in a Remington XCR.

Ultimately it is your decision. Find a rifle that you like, feels good and fits you.

Pick any of the above cartridges and you will be just fine.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Black Mining Hills of Dakota | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 416Tanzan
posted Hide Post
Yes, you have good advice, and some of the fun on an e-list is hearing what people think.

I've had three Tikkas. All shoot great. My wife's 270 win does 1/2" MOA and likes 110 TTSX Barnes at 2450fps. That's a great antelope load.

But I'm partial to 338 WinMag, and have had two in Tikkas. I like the lightweight rifle and don't mind that it jumps a little when fired. It would be the natural, lightweight replacement to the 375. It should be enough gun for deer from any angle.

But since you have a 416 Rigby (hey they are a great round), you can probably go smaller than a 338. If you like reloading, try the 270 WSM or 300 WSM. Or the 270 Win. My wife's is a lot of fun to shoot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+

"A well-rounded hunting battery might include:
500 AccRel Nyati, 416 Rigby or 416 Ruger, 375Ruger or 338WM, 308 or 270, 243, 223" --
Conserving creation, hunting the harvest.

One of Us
Picture of wolfhunter 2
posted Hide Post
Find yourself a good pre 64 winchester in 270 or 30-06 and put a mcmillian fiberglass stock and you will love it I personaly would shoot 150 gr bullets in 06 140 in 270 my personal mid size is a custom 280 ai 150gr to bad you had to sell your 375 that is one of my favorite cal. Kevin :

Posts: 155 | Location: mn | Registered: 08 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I went to the store, looked back and forth between the tikka stainless and rem xcr. I chose the tikka because I know it will be accurate. Then i settled between 30-06 and 270. I just discovered I have a set of dies for the 270, So that made up my mind. I'm just waiting on my scope to come in so I can go test it out.

Have you noticed lately that a lot of the big game rifles are going to 4 groove barrels instead of 6. I saw tikka, sako, browning, and winchesters with 4 groove barrels