THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    A new RPM cartridge from Weatherby

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A new RPM cartridge from Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted
The .338 Weatherby RPM. The claimed ballistics are comparable to the Win. Mag. with 225 Gr. bullets.

https://weatherby.com/338-rpm/...&utm_source=hs_email

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2286 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
So, it's a slightly rebated, beltless case? I guess Weatherby needs another reason to stay in business.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Then why not just use the .338 Win. Mag.? My .338 Win. has killed everything I shot at.

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bluefish:
I guess Weatherby needs another reason to stay in business.

Yep, they are just casting their line where the fish are.

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wstrnhuntr:
quote:

Just like every other arm’s company does. Big Grin

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2787 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:
quote:

Too many people unaware of ballistic facts.

A Holland and Holland salesman was trying to convince me that a 240 Apex, an H&H cartridge that shoots a 100 grain bullet in 243 caliber kills much better than a 243 Winchester shooting the same bullet! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Something Ruger should have done on their .375 .416 case.

Posts: 19314 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does it to anything a 338 lapua can’t do ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Skyline
posted Hide Post
Thank goodness Weatherby is starting this other new line up of cartridges, cause there is no doubt we are rather short of new ones. Oh well, they need to keep selling new stuff to keep everyone entertained. Smiler

The power of accurate observation is frequently called cynicism by those who are bereft of that gift.

Posts: 1806 | Location: Northern Rockies, BC | Registered: 21 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beretta682E:
Does it to anything a 338 lapua can’t do ?

Mike

Sure. It can fire the same bullets much slower.

To be honest here, it shares almost the same ballistics as 338 Win Mag.

Yes. It is new, maybe really well designed. But it is IMHO still solution to non existing problem. As many others new chamberings.

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Saeed:
quote:
Originally posted by Cougarz:
quote:
quote:

Too many people unaware of ballistic facts.

A Holland and Holland salesman was trying to convince me that a 240 Apex, an H&H cartridge that shoots a 100 grain bullet in 243 caliber kills much better than a 243 Winchester shooting the same bullet! clap

Sure this new Weatherby will be much better game harvester than .338 WinMag regardless of firing the same bullet at the same velocity ;-)

Jiri

Posts: 2067 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
Of course the goal of all companies is to sell their products, whether the product is real or virtual, non-human or human (e.g. Google). Weatherby recognizes a trend towards lighter rifles and is exploiting their 6 lug action to build them. Nothing wrong with that.

I like the std. length action for this cartridge (same as well estb. 338 Win Mag of course). The lack of a belt is somewhat appealing, although I haven't had any feeding problems with the 6 or so 338 Win Mags I've owned. A little put off by rebated rim cartridges because of concerns about not picking up a round when cycling if things aren't setup just right, but probably not an issue. No difference in effectiveness with the Win Mag, at all. Ammo availability will be nada overseas. In the US, people hunt for game where a 338 is needed so infrequently, on average, that they will likely be well prepared with ammo. Weatherby has a good history of supporting their cartridges with ammo manufacturing, in general. Better than the other major manufacturers who don't seem bothered by leaving we shooters high and dry. A pet peeve of mine.

Can't believe there's any sales push for the 240 Apex! I thought that was dead ages ago, even for H&H.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

2660 fps with 225gr 18" barrel
2800 fps with 225gr 24" barrel

So...the same as what Ruger introduced in 2008. .338RCM

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
358, 366, 375 and 411 RPM would be interesting.
Rechamber a 9,3x62 or 35 Whelen

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
There is no new offering that can beat something we already have.

Fashion.

That is all.

Nothing wrong with it.

But accept it as it is.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66765 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Smokin Joe
posted Hide Post
Another remarkable solution to a nonexistant problem.

Posts: 403 | Location: CA | Registered: 30 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bluefish
posted Hide Post
Just like the 375 Ruger. 15 years later and the H&H chugs along.

Posts: 5232 | Location: The way life should be | Registered: 24 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
The 6.5 RPM was designed to fit in one of Weatherby’s smaller rifles. A tiny niche and a lot of fashion.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The case is more or less a longer version of the 284 Winchester.

It’s niche if you like, is that it allows an extra cartridge in standard magazines compared to using a magnum case.

Posts: 499 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JeffreyPhD
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:

Except in a full length action, FWIW.

Posts: 1014 | Location: Central California Coast | Registered: 05 May 2007Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
338x376 steyr?

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jeffeosso:
338x376 steyr?

Whoda thunk that something like that would ever be a Weatherby thing? popcorn

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:

Wow I didn't see that. Eeker

.338 Wby RPM = 3.380"
.338 RCM = 2.840"
.338 Federal = 2.750"
.338-06 = 3.370"
.338 Win Mag = 3.340"
.325 wsm = 2.860"
.340 Wby = 3.60"
.338 RUM = 3.60"
.338-378wby = 3.65"

So they can say "Longer OAL than the 338 win mag...with less velocity" in the magazine advertisements

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Typical harchet job on a newly introduced caliber. Weatherby has always been a niche manufacturer, unlike the “major” gun manufacturers. None of their cartridges are mainstream, although some are more powerful than others - but when did an additional 150-200 fps ever really matter? Answer - almost never. That didn’t stop me from buying two Weatheby rifles though. If it doesn’t catch on its still in good company with the .244 Remington, 6.5 Remington Magnum, .225 Winchester, .338 Marlin Express, .356 Winchester, .300 SAUM, Etronx rifles….ad nausium. If you don’t like it then don’t buy it - let the market decide.

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JeffreyPhD:

I'm not sure what you mean by "full length". It's a short '06 length case in a 375 H&H length action.

If it was "full length", it would match the length of the action. Maybe that's what you meant?

Tony

Posts: 132 | Location: Inola, OK | Registered: 08 July 2011Reply With Quote