New
Find
Notify
Tools

.308 Ruger All Weather Hawkeye
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Thinking of picking up one of these for my wife.
Can anyone here who owns one report on how they like or dislike it?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 7mm08 with a 3x9x40 Zeiss Conquest on it. Sweet rifle, light weight, light recoil and the new trigger is also great.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
As long as it doesn’t hurt at the start is the key. Women (if they truly want to shoot) will “cowboy up†on the recoil but they need help. The 223 is a good starting point. My wife loves her 243, she has shot a few antelope with it. But 308 is a little strong for her (although she shot 1 elk with it).

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you hand load you can give her some 308 loads that are starting loads or below to get her used to the rifle. Good hunting. D

Although cartridge selection is important there is nothing that will substitute for proper first shot placement. Good hunting, "D"

Posts: 1701 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 28 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
She has already owned several rifles. Although I appreciate the extra comments about starting light, recoil, etc. That isnt what I asked. She has shot her fair share of animals.
Looking for feedback on the rifle and the caliber, accurate, feeds well,etc.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6591 | Location: Cumberland Plateau, Tennessee | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Hawkeye, but I have one in the 77 MKII in .308, that I like very well, shoots good and is a very realiable firearm.

6.5 SWEDE.

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote