THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Always wanted either a BLR in 358 or a Win 1895 in 405

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Always wanted either a BLR in 358 or a Win 1895 in 405
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted
Anyone hunt with either of these?

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Michael Douglas "The Ghost And The Darkness"

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I had a BLR in 358. Loved it. Killed pigs, cow elk, kudu, zebra, waterbuck, impala, and wharthog with it.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10055 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been really happy hunting with my 1895, Winchester replica, 405,

The last time I hunted E KY reclaim bench was with it.

I was on the ground. A broken 3 year old 10 pointer came bounding literally bounding right on top of me.

I shot him twice as he came by at 6 feet.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, the 1895 in 405 Win is awesome. Crshelton here uses his in Africa on big game. Roosevelt seemed to do just fine with his "Big medicine" 1895.

Winchester (Miroku) repros are available in the $1,400-$1,800 range; standard or High Grade.

Posts: 20086 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Thanks all my decision has not gotten any easier lol.

Regards,

Chuck

Posts: 4729 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: 01 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I love my BLR's..

I have a Takedown walnut/blued pistol grip .30-06

Pistol grip walnut/blued .308

&

Pistol grip walnut/stainless .22-250

Here is the .308. It will put 3 shots on top of each other at 100y

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .358 will kill about anything the average person will hunt and is easy to feed being made on the .308 case. One of each would be nice but I'd get the BLR first. I have a steel 81 , not a fan of the aluminum version.

Grumpy old man with a gun,,,,Do not touch.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had one in a 99F Savage and it was just OK, I would opt for the 308 in the 99 and the BLR..As usual with both guns they were both very accurate in .308...I couldn't see much difference between the 358 and the 308 in killing power, and the .308 shot a little bit flatter..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had both. Sold the BLR in 358, kept the 95 in 405. - dan

"Intellectual truth is eternally one: moral or sentimental truth is a geographic and chronological accident that varies with the individual" R.F. Burton

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the BLR in .308 and 7mm Rem and really liked them both. Swapped both for larger chamberings when I went for larger game. Really regretted swapping the .308 because I took many Deer with it but at the time could not afford to do anything else. Good Shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
How's your eyesight? There's really no good way to mount a scope to the 1895.

Just something to keep in mind.

I have two 1895s, one in 405 and another in 30-06. Great range toys, but I need a scope for hunting. Frowner

Posts: 541 | Location: Mostly USA | Registered: 25 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ongwe:
How's your eyesight? There's really no good way to mount a scope to the 1895.

Just something to keep in mind.

I have two 1895s, one in 405 and another in 30-06. Great range toys, but I need a scope for hunting. Frowner

I mounted a red dot sight on my 1895,it's a converted 30-06 to 35 whelen.

DRSS

Posts: 2277 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Bill73,
A friend from down under bought a scoped Winchester 1895 .405 from hunter in Florida and had it shipped to my hunting buddy in Hondo, Texas . A group of Aussie hunters showed up soon and we has a blast hunting together for a few days.
I have seen a couple other Winchester 1895s with the scope mounted forward of the action and that w orks fine.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chuck375:
Anyone hunt with either of these?

I had one of the early Sav 99 rifles in 358. It may have been the handiest little rifle to carry in the bush moose hunting I have ever used. Kind of sorry I sold that rifle. BLR would be very similar.

Posts: 2434 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a first model .358 in 1981. Really a light, handy, and accurate little rifle that never required more than one shot on game. Then I stupidly sold it in 2014. I regretted doing that, but in 2020 I found a Stainless/Laminated Take Down in .358 and earlier this year I got a walnut/pistol grip/blue model in 7mm08. I hunted a little with the .358 last season but, this season it's going to see a lot more of the woods. I really like it!

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of crshelton
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have hunted with a Winchester 1895 in .405 WCF and it is one of my favorite big bore rifles.

It has taken Nilgai, pronghorn, water buff, deer, etc here in Texas and NM in addition to African game.

NRA Life Benefactor Member,
DRSS, DWWC, Whittington
Center,Android Reloading
Ballistics App at
http://www.xplat.net/

Posts: 2294 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 25 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OK you have my permission to go get both Cool

Posts: 13442 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
Goin with the BLR so I can mount one of my Leupold 1.5 - 5x scopes on it. Which do you recommend, original steel receiver or the newer lightweight model?

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
Chuck,
I have a 405 Deluxe with a little English flair.

You can shoot it sometime if we have a little get together - I do work in the Springs quite a bit these days.

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have seen 405s, 1895s with a quarter rib added and forwards mounted scopes.

The BLR would be easier to scope.

I always prefer steel over aluminum. I sm old fashioned like thst.

Posts: 10832 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I have an 1895 that was restocked and rebarreled to.35 Whelen. I use it for elk. You, Huvius, and I could get together and have an 1895 party!

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3814 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of chuck375
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
Chuck,
I have a 405 Deluxe with a little English flair.

You can shoot it sometime if we have a little get together - I do work in the Springs quite a bit these days.

I'd love to. Had my pacemaker replaced a week ago, so it will be a month or so before I can shoot. I can bring the 500 Jeffery!

Regards,

Chuck

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
I have an 1895 that was restocked and rebarreled to.35 Whelen. I use it for elk. You, Huvius, and I could get together and have an 1895 party!

This is a beautiful rifle.

The Caribou and Elk antlers are nice touch. Will someone post a picture with the 1895 I have seen in here with the Red Dot mounted on the Bolt.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by loud-n-boomer:
You, Huvius, and I could get together and have an 1895 party!

That we could!
I also have a 35Win, a Krag, and a couple 38-72s

Posts: 3239 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chuck, I like the old first model BLR and would gladly trade this newer Stainless T/D for my old one! The newer aluminum receiver models are just as strong, maybe stronger, and a little lighter but, the first model was thinner and just felt and looked a little better to me. That said, magazines are off the wall expensive for the first model so be sure the magazine is in good working order!
All this talk of 1895's is rekindling the "Wish I had one" in me. Big Grin Great looking Winchesters men!

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Comparing the 358 to a 405 is ludicrous, it just can't be done, it like comparing a Shetland pony to a Quarter horse... rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a BLR in 358 for many years. It's a great rifle and the .358 is much more capable than it's usually given credit for. I also wildcatted a .284 BLR into a .35-284, creating ballistically a .35 Whelen on a short action lever lever rifle. Interesting project with a solid, practical result but I'm thinning the herd and have decided to sell the .35-284.

Steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have always thought the 358 Winchester in the BLR was a good match.
A couple of days ago, I ran across a 20", straight grip, steel receiver 1989 production. I am currently waiting on hand-loading components to arrive. Seems to be a handy little rifle.

Posts: 425 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 06 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You probably need both, can't compare them logically...358 can be properly scoped, and IMo a 95 with a scope is akin to incest!! dancing

I bought a 308 Savage 99F (1950ish) with ruined chamber for $100/ ran a 284 chamber reamer in it and it was a neat gun, later rebored it to a 338-284 and had the ideal elk gun-saddle scabbard perfect..traded it to a friend for a rope horse and a dog, and bought a 99 in 358...

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

one of us
posted Hide Post
Good choice, the 358 walks side by side with the great 35 Whelan, but has a lever and I like lever actions..I liked the 250 gr. Speer bullet for elk and deer..May have been discontinued if so use the Nosler 225 gr. its better anyway..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always wanted to have a 358 Norma made out of a 7mm mag BLR. I hunt in Michigan and can't imagine a cooler gun. Optik1

Posts: 372 | Location: linwood Michigan | Registered: 07 February 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Id be on the hunt for 358 99 or BLR but I have a deluxe Win. mod 71,348, with a Receiver sight, and they just dont get any classier than that.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120