THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    7 mag loads with 154 grain Hornady sst

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

7 mag loads with 154 grain Hornady sst
 Login/Join

posted
For those of you who shoot and load the 7 mag. I have a question for yoy. Have any of you loaded the Hornady 154g sst with IMR 4350?
I have an excellent load with the 150 Nosler BT using 63g of 4350 but would like to try the 154 grain Hornady with the 4350. What have you been loading with these two. Thanks for any input or loads.

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
I'm no SST fan

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded the SST in a 7mm Mag and used it on deer. The bullet opened up violently with lots of meat damage. The only way I would use them again is if the range was going to be 200 yds or more. The SST's grouped very nicely in a couple rifles I tried them in.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to load the 154 Interlock for 3 friends. They all got the same load; 61 grains of IMR 4350. All three used it for everything and nobody complained.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
SST is not for me

Unless I was shooting varmints

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of waterrat
posted Hide Post
The SST was made for shooting pretty groups, not for killing good sized animals!

I tend to use more than enough gun

Posts: 1407 | Location: lake iliamna alaska | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
IMO, SST has it's place in moderate to slow cartridges. The only place I use them is in a 6.8 SPC at a sedate 2450 fps. They work great for that application. I wouldn't push any SST through a magnum.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Sorry don't care for the SST

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ive had decent enough luck with the 150 and 154 SST in my 7x57 on deer, I suspect slowing them down in the magnums would be good advise..They work well enough at the magic 2700 to 2800 FPS..

However I prefer the old interlock soft points over the SST by a bunch, and you can drive them about as fast as you want..

As a matter of fact, Im not all that sold on the platic tips, and the overly long bullets that go with them, they are just a tad too long IMO...but I am sure most of them perform OK, and I see good reports on them.....

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input on the bullet selection. I think I will use the 154g sst with my 7mm08. I think that will be a more appropriate use for them.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Forgot to say welcome. Now that we picked on you. rotflmo

For my 7mag and equivalent I use 1 bullet the 160gr Accubond. Small deer to elk and Kudu they have never failed me

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Denny, I'll 2nd the 160gr Accubond in a 7mm Rem Mag....and welcome aboard!

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Denny, I'll 2nd the 160gr Accubond in a 7mm Rem Mag....and welcome aboard!

And what powder do you find works the best for you ?

Posts: 98 | Location: Fraser Valley B.C. | Registered: 07 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by scottfromdallas:
IMO, SST has it's place in moderate to slow cartridges. The only place I use them is in a 6.8 SPC at a sedate 2450 fps. They work great for that application. I wouldn't push any SST through a magnum.

It also has a place for long range hunting when the velocities have dropped off. A lot of people agonize over high BC, lower wind drift and even accuracy that don't even begin to matter until the ranges are quite long, without quite getting that the bullet has to perform at low impact as well.

Posts: 1928 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 30 November 2006Reply With Quote