THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    My experience with E.R. Shaw Barrel

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My experience with E.R. Shaw Barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got my M-600 Remington (circa 1970) back from E.R. Shaw, who rebarreled it to .358 Winchester. This was my second attempt with the barrel, as the first one suffered from excessive head space, which Shaw took back and corrected at no additional charge (new barrel, reaming, set headspace and bead blast blue).

I am now a very happy camper. Apparently, the second time is the charm! Here are photos from today's range session:

The Rifle: M-600 Rem., E.R. Shaw barrel, Original Stock (refinished by yours truely):

Posts: 1443 | Registered: 09 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Nice beginning groups. I've only had one that I remember. Groups were only so so and it seemed rough. Ended up with a lot of copper to remove all the time.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So far, I've only cleaned it at the range during break-in with Butch's Bore Shine. I've not seen a lot of copper, but I wouldn't expect to with Butch's. After I hunt with it this weekend, I'll soak it with wipeout and see how much fouling I have.

One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I had my tang-safety Ruger Model 77 in 35 Whelen re-barreled with a Shaw barrel back in 1994 or 95 and love it.

The rifle came from the factory with a 22 inch barrel and while accuracy was good I just did not like the overall feel of the rifle.

I had it replaced with a 26 inch Number 3 sporter weight Shaw barrel and it is probably my favorite rifle.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
GA That little rifle should be a sweetheart in the bush

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Nice groups and nice looking rig.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Like Crazy, and about at the same time, I had Shaw barrel a 700 Remington in 35 Whelen. Perfect shooter, quite a tack driver.

The 6.5-06 they did for me, on the other hand is a POS. I guess you get what you pay for.

Jerry

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've used Shaw twice. Both are Savage Varmint weight; one is 26" 220Swift and the other is 24" 243. Shaw's web site says that they do not make "bench-rest" barrels. That being said, both of these rifles shoot "minute-of-prairiedog" out beyond 400yds(on a calm day).

IF YOU'RE GONNA GET OLD,YOU BETTER BE TOUGH!! GETTIN' OLD AIN'T FOR SISSIES!!

Posts: 381 | Location: Sebring, FL | Registered: 12 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
My only experience with Shaw was for a 257 AI bbl for a Mauser. It took months to finally receive it. But I would use them again. It is a great little shooter.

What bbl length did you go with for your 358?

Posts: 10112 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
old I've used a fare number of Shaw barrels. Some were wildcats or became such, and some were conventional cartridges. All had one common occurrence. They took a long time to clean . All could be made to shoot 2" groups at 100 yds. Some shot under 1". As most of the barrels wore in the repeatability got better. One in particular, a 22 PPC heavy varmint barrel put on a Mod 200 (Stevens) shot sub MOA from the start, but it was still dirty and took a long time to really get clean. beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

What bbl length did you go with for your 358?

I went 19.5", which is 1.5" longer than the original .243 barrel that was on it. I would like to eventually work up to a load that pushes a 225-grain bullet out the front at 2450 fps, but I've got a ways to go yet. My max loads so far go just a shade under 2400 even.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have a 26 inch Shaw barrel on my 338-378KT and am well pleased with the results I am getting.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
That rifle is shooting great!
I would be happy with that, who cares if you leave a hundred feet per second on the table, 2350 fps and shoots 1/2" groups that's just fine for anything you want to hunt.

Posts: 5603 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have a Shaw Barrel, a 1 in 9" twist heavy magnum contour in 6.5x55 on a Stevens 200. It's not a one hole rifle with a 4 shot group at 100yds. But it is quite acceptable to me, being a consistent 1/2"-3/4" group shooter with the right reloads.

Gent I shoot with on a regular basis put a Shaw barrel on a rifle within the last 3 weeks. Darn if I can remember the cartridge or what he put it on....assume it was some kinda Savage action. Anyway, the gent is a serious reloader/shooter with some darn accurate rifles. He is quite happy with accuracy he is getting from the Shaw barrel.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
I agree with Bartsche on the Shaw barrel cleaning. The previous mentioned 6.5-06, now has over 700 rounds thru it, and it is starting to clean and shoot better.

Jerry

Posts: 1297 | Location: Chandler arizona | Registered: 29 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had another range session this afternoon where I took my hand loads out to their book maximums. I finally breached 2400 fps with 52-grains of W748, but on shot did have a rather sticky bolt. Accuracy wise, the stupid rifle bores me to tears, with every group, regardless of powder or charge, under an inch. I even had one five-shot group, shot with two different powders and two different bullets, that measured out under an inch. I think I'd have to really work hard to find a load or bullet this rifle doesn't like.

One interesting thing was 748 outperformed (velocity wise) John Barsness' much ballyhooed TAC load of 49 grains. From all that's been written, I expected this load to not only challange my .300 Win Mag, without excessive pressure, but field dress, skin, quarter and wrap anything I shot with it. Instead, it ran about 25 fps behind my max 748 load.

I guess you can't believe everything you read in magazines.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Nice! I'd call that "Minute of White-Tail"!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, I built the rifle to be minute of moose!

Right now, the dang thing is so accurate that all I have to do is point it in the general direction of 75-inch bull, pull the trigger and go fetch my mooseburger. clap

one of us
Picture of Jerry Eden
posted Hide Post
Pretty interesting, Crazy has a 35 Whelen with Shaw barrel, me too, and you a 358. Maybe these guys have the 35 bore figured out.

Jerry

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jerry Eden:
Pretty interesting, Crazy has a 35 Whelen with Shaw barrel, me too, and you a 358. Maybe these guys have the 35 bore figured out.

Jerry

My Shaw 35 Whelen was turned into my .358 x .404 IMP. or you might call it a .358 Ultra Mag IMP. Great cartridge to use up a lot of 7383. Talk about dirty! beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too like the Ramshot TAC powder, or the hunter and Big Game for that matter. Shame I hav'nt been able to find any of them for some time now.

Anyway, glad you're now happy with the Shaw barrel. Me, I'v got a Shaw 6.5x55 chambered barrel on a 200 Stevens that I'm satisfied with. A fellow range member has a Shaw on one of his rifles and he is more critical than me when it comes to accuracy and etc.,......he is very satisfied with accuracy of his.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a chance to try the TAC I bought in my .358. I don't know if you can get enough W-748 in the case to over-stress it, at least in my rifle. I used an MRC action with one of their barrels ( 21 inch) and it is a half-inch shooter with loads it like if I do my part. The W-748 load I took to Africa was so compressed that it actually backed our primers in transit so that it sometimes took a second strike to fire - the first one re-seating the primer...

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Wonder if the Shaw tubes would benefit from fire lapping.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16306 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote