New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good 270 loads?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I don't have one but my brother does and wants me to load him up some. Just wondering what some of you guys have been using for whitetail?

Posts: 52 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN MICHIGAN | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR4831 is a good powder in the four 270s I've used (that's thousands of reloads). If you are loading for someone else, go a couple of grains below max. Virtually any 130 or 150 gr bullet will kill a whitetail cleanly. Again, if you are loading for someone else, Sierra gamekings are likely to be accurate and aren't too expensive.

Can he shoot? If he can't hit the broad side of a barn from the inside, only shoots once a year or never cleans his gun- buy him some factory ammo and save yourself the bother.

Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 130gr Ballistic Tips and 57gr of H-4831. Not the hottest load but H-4831 is real hard to beat in a 270.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have found that a near max. load of H4831 and Sierra 130 gr. bullets out of my .270 work very well on Kansas whitetails.

Best of luck
Carl

Exercise makes you look good naked, so does bourbon.....You decide

Posts: 189 | Location: Was Kansas, USA - Now South Australia | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My powder of choice for the .270 is Winchester's WMR. Sadly, when my supply is gone, there will be no more. Winchester dropped it about 4 or 5 years ago. When I heard it was going to be dropped, I bought up all I could find. I'm set for life.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 53.5 grs/ IMR-4350/ Sierra 130 gr. bullets in my Ruger Model 77 MKII. Also Hornady 130 grainers spire points yield excellent accuracy. Have taken many whitetails with this load from 30 to 300 yards.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

........................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Most .270s I have met seem to do pretty well with 57.5 grs of H-4831 and 130 gr. Hornady spire points. You can use a lot more H-4831 than that in many .270s, but I'd suggest that as a good place to start.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
I also use H4831. The .270 is my hands down favorite and 57 to 60 grains of powder and a 130gr bullet, usually a partition has always yield good results. Seeing how you're loading for his rifle I would stick with the relatively mild 57.5 gr load suggested.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That works for me considering that's what I use in my 25-06 anyways. Thanks for the info.

Posts: 52 | Location: SOMEWHERE IN MICHIGAN | Registered: 20 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
another vote for imr4350, ,speed powder would be reloader-22 but i'd bet magpro would be great as well.130 speer hot-core or hornadys 130 sst will run with any ones best. regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
Any load that ends in TSX is going to be a great load.

Give your left over Partitions to some one that you don't like.

DR B

one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Please send me all your partitions,I'll call you a a-hole to satisfy the don't like qualifer Wink

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
130 Btip over 57.0 H4831 is one of the exact loads my bro has used on deer for almost as long as I've been loading. I used it with excellent success as well.

Ultimately, the good thing about a 270 and 130 grain bullet is it's very easy to find a great hunting load.

The various 4831s all work very well, as does 4350, Re19 and 22!

One of my all time favorite loads was the 140 bullet over H1000.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of Bob in TX
posted Hide Post
.......agree with all the above, but I would recommend H-4831SC and a good 130 gr. bullet.

Bob

There is room for all of God's creatures....right next to the mashed potatoes.
http://texaspredatorposse.ipbhost.com/

Posts: 3065 | Location: Hondo, Texas USA | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
54-55 gr IMR 4350 with the 130 Sierra BTSP.

It worked for Jack O'Conner 50 years ago (probably with a different bullet) and it's worked for me for 30 years on everything from coyotes to elk.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1577 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 4350s (IMR and H) and 4831s are all excellent powders for the .270, but I've gotten the best results in terms of accuraty + high velocity with Alliant RL22 with bullets from 130 to 150 grains.

"How's that whole 'hopey-changey' thing working out for ya?"

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:
dempsey
Please send me all your partitions,I'll call you a a-hole to satisfy the don't like qualifer

I would send the partitions to you but I have not been stupid enough to spend my money on junck bullets.
DR B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dr B
I too will gratefully accept partitions for my pet 270 load of 56.0 grains imr 4831 and the above mentioned bullet (150 grains ) please. Big Elk, moose bear,caribou,deer etc.have all fell to this load mostly with a single shot.

Posts: 200 | Location: alberta canada | Registered: 16 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
Dr. B, while I have no problems with the TSX, they are certainly not the bullet to end all others. I've been using partions in my .270's for years and while I'm sure a tsx load would be easy to find and the bullet would perform just fine I see no need to change now.

Since you are not stupid enough to spend money on partitions then how do you come to the conclusion they are junk?

One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dr. B, while I have no problems with the TSX, they are certainly not the bullet to end all others. I've been using partions in my .270's for years and while I'm sure a tsx load would be easy to find and the bullet would perform just fine I see no need to change now.

Since you are not stupid enough to spend money on partitions then how do you come to the conclusion they are junk?

They didn't always make TSXs I have shot my share of partitions. No doubt they will kill game, so will corelocks, and grand slams, as well as most bullets that are still made today. It's just that TSX takes bullet preformaance to a new level.

I know their is great satifaction in the clasics,whether it's cars, boats, or bullets. But don't belive they will preform with new tecknowlege, like TSXs.
DR B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know their is great satifaction in the clasics,whether it's cars, boats, or bullets. But don't belive they will preform with new tecknowlege, like TSXs.

Or Spell Check, Why did this degenerate into a mindless discussion about the latest and greatest offerings fron the bullet makers? I suppose if Barnes X bullets weren't so perfect, TSX's wouldn't have arrived, and if TSX's weren't so perfect MRX's wouldn't be available for a buck a shot. I personally don't like to clean up after copper bullets. I really don't think that any Barnes bullet kills deer deader than any conventional soft point, as long as you don't specialize in shooting them in the a--.
Paul

Posts: 77 | Location: Pulaski, WI | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drive a good .270 bullet out to 2900 or 3000
And shoot strait. Dead dear. If you are going to go much faster, you might want a t-shock or a partition. BUt I bet the acubond will do just as well, on a mule deer.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
"and shoot straight"

The major bullet failures I have seen over the years are poor shot placement and "air separation" between the bullet and the game (a clean miss). I have done these crimes at various times as have many others. I have seen only three well placed bullets fail where the animal waas recovered. One was a Barnes X that didn't expand much, or at all, in a Brown bear, the second was a 150 gr Federal soft point out of a 30-06 the blew up in a Kodiak bear's skin and the other was a Ballistic tip that blew up at 2500fps in a small deer (6.5x55 1903 Swede). Other than the Ballistic tip, none of these are pertinant to this discussion.
Paul

posted Hide Post
51 grains imr4350 behind a 140gr SST works real well in my ruger M77 (older model)
Not the fastest load, but accurate.

really you need to work a load out for your rifle as "gold in one can be S**t in another" Smiler