Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 72 not 74
 Login/Join

posted
My first post on this site Does anyone shoot this caliber? Im using .366 bullets although I understand it was developed for .364.
My barrel is on an TC contender.
Dr Charlie

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Welcome, Charlie. I have owned + loaded for the 9.3X74 + the 9.3X57 but not the 72. I assume you load your own? COTW has data as well as several others.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried the X72. I have two 9.3X74s though. They kill things. Be Well, Packy.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Seeing any pressure signs?

I'd ask the gunsmith/barrel maker what they used, as .366 is the modern normal, and I would expect that a .364, or .365 might be an issue in a period rifle..

if all else fails, ch4d.com will make you bullet sizing dies, which .002d would be a one pass die set

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38381 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Comparing a 72 to a 74 is like comparing an apple to a watermelon. Totally different things.
I've had the 72 in drillings; ( and several 9.3 x74s in DRs) first you could ask whomever made the barrel what the groove dimension is.
Or just slug it yourself; I doubt if anyone makes a .364 barrel anyway. Why would they? Zero demand.
Secondly, the soft bullets used in the 72 won't know two thousandths difference anyway.
I never actually measured any of them; COTW says it, and the 74s, are .365.
Also, I used to routinely shoot .358 bullets in my drillings; worked fine.
And as was asked, how did it shoot? If it ejected normally, drive on and don't worry about it.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently have five or six period rifles in this caliber. Only one measures .364 the rest are .366. I shot .366 bullets in the right one for a couple years before I found that it was not .366 but never had any issues. It also shoots factory S&B ammo well. I do not load to max velocity or pressure as they are all old drillings and not designed for high pressure. I can't remember my load off the top of my head but I use 200 gr cast bullets and 210 gr jacketed for the most part. It is a fun caliber that kills pigs wellSmiler

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
German gun collectors often deal with this in German guns. We may have a .317 or .319 bore, where the specific sized bullet is not available, same kind of thing in 22,25,6.5 and 9.3's that I've owned. In those guns, if a loaded round properly sized fits in the chamber with a bullet a thousandth or so over, it's generally considered safe to shoot. But I have no idea about the leads and throat in a TC barrel.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
I used to shoot it in a drilling, and cast bullets do quite well. In fact, were I to have another, I probably wouldn't bother with jacketed as long as the bore is in good shape, which it sounds like yours is. Though they are different bore sizes (.375 to .378 verses .364 to .366), think of the 9.3x72 in the same context as the .38-55 as far as its abilities.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the information. I do know the difference between 9.3 x 72 and 9.3 x 74 I do reload and there isn't any signs of pressure as I use COTW for my information. I'd love to find a set of dies but no one wants to sell.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a JP Sauer sidelock Drilling in 9.3x72R and love the Cartridge up to 100 yds. I shoot only one Ammo, Sellier&Bellot, it’s good stuff and no one can reload for what S&B costs.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Charlie:
I'd love to find a set of dies but no one wants to sell.

I bet you could get by using a 9.3x62 or 9.3x74 die to neck size your brass.
No real need to FLS if this is your only rifle in this chambering.

Or here:
http://bigfivehq.com/itemDetails.aspx?id=3284

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
John Barsness wrote an article on a double he found in this caliber.

I remember that the diameter was more like a 358. Probably more common to find such variations with older German weapons of 100 years ago.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11006 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There was an 8,7x72R cartridge as well. A true 9mm with a groove dia of .358.
The 8,7 dimension is the bore spec.

Looks for all the world like a 9.3x72R at first glance except the bullet dia is 9mm instead of 9.3mm.
>
>

I have a German made SxS Double Rifle in 9.3x72R that I am refurbishing now.
It's been buffed and reblued at some time in it's life but the bores are exc.
.365 groove dia and chambers my few experimental reloads just fine.
I will try the use of 9mm Makarov bullets in this one as I do in my 9.3x7R German DR over a load of RedDot.

In the x74R double rifle they shoot right to the POA at 50M with the 200M sight bar up and group into 2".
The same load probably won't even hit the paper in the x72R rifle with my luck!! but it'll be fun to experiment.

posted Hide Post
Thanks to Huvius I now own the correct dies for the 9.3 x 72 and all my problems have been solved.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My first post on this site Does anyone shoot this caliber? Im using .366 bullets although I understand it was developed for .364.
My barrel is on an TC contender.
Dr Charlie

I have a couple old drillings with which the rifle barrels are chambered 9.3x72R. Old black powder round that made the jump to smokeless. Power is about like a .38-55. Kills ok on a couple medium hogs at relatively close range. RWS used to make bullets, now you have to try to find some hard cast ones or swage down 232 gr. Norma bullets. S&B makes ammo; it shoots well in my guns. Not a difficult round to reload. I have data from a couple old articles in Handloader magazine. I think some of my data comes from a German source.

Good shooting!

Steve

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks to Huvius I now own the correct dies for the 9.3 x 72 and all my problems have been solved.

Very glad to help.
Looking forward to your report!

Posts: 3232 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote