THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Any companies making 300 H&H Rifles?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any companies making 300 H&H Rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted
It seems that only CZ is making 300 H&H rifles these days (under their Safari Classic line).

Can anyone think of any other company that might be producing such?

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know of any US companies making one, but there may be some Euro or Russian makes.
Cz's ain't all that bad though.

Don

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
This caliber has been overwhelmed by the .300WBY, 300WM and the .300WSM that their isn't much call for it today. Practically speaking, and I know I'll get flamed for it, the only reason to own one is for nostalgia. Some may say that it feeds better than the fat ones but I didn't have any problems with the .300WM or the .300WSM that I own. To answer your question, I think, besides CZ and a host of semi and full custom gunmakers, the cartridge isn't being chambered by anyone.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Can anyone think of any other company that might be producing such?

H&H makes a nice one. Wink

Posts: 297 | Location: Bainbridge Island,WA | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 1983 M-700 Classic in .300 H&H and I would not part with it. The only .300 Mag caliber in it's league is the .300 Wby (according to me).

Posts: 828 | Location: Whitecourt, Alberta | Registered: 10 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
CZ mentions it in their Safari Classics line but I do not know if anybody has actually seen one.

Link to the .PDF brochure.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would just about KILL for one in the standard model...am having trouble seeing a CZ as a $2K+ Holland Super Thirty. I guess I could buy one in 375 and put a liner in it...restamp it 300-375...nah, too cheesy!

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
I would just about KILL for one in the standard model...

Rich
DRSS

Me too, for sure.

-eric

" . . . a gun is better worn and with bloom off---So is a saddle---People too by God." -EH

Posts: 952 | Location: Bakersfield, California | Registered: 03 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Remington Custom Shop will make one for you I believe unless the new owners have changed things. They will make about any caliber you can imagine and for a long range antelope, caribou, elk, etc. type rifle, would say it would put bullet on top of bullet w/ the right loads. Quick call could find out for sure.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clayman
posted Hide Post
quote:
H&H makes a nice one. Wink

I was gonna say the same thing.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Gilbertsville, PA | Registered: 08 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
I see pre-'64 M70 Winchesters in .300 H&H from time to time, although the prices seem to be getting up there.

I have not seen the Chay Zed yet.

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't one just rebarrel a Rem. M700 mag. action, such as a 7mag. or 300Win. mag? I believe the actions & magazine box are long enough.

Posts: 107 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pedro in Idaho:
Can't one just rebarrel a Rem. M700 mag. action, such as a 7mag. or 300Win. mag? I believe the actions & magazine box are long enough.

I'm sure that it could happen, if one liked M700s Wink Not the type of rifle I'm looking for though.

-eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
know what you mean there, a 300H&H just HAS! to be done on a crf action...it's the only right way to do it.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
find yourself a M70 classic and barrel to 300 HH. Not cheap, but doable. M700's have a long enough action and mag box, and I happen to have a Sako L61 with a 3.6 inch mag box I'll let go for a rebarrel. Its a 7 Rem that I was going to rechamber to a 7 Mashburn, but after getting dumped on my head by a horse this spring, I just don't have the fire to finish that job. 99 percent condition. A nice rifle and accurate as is. Sako rings come with.

Posts: 180 | Location: lakewood, co | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
know what you mean there, a 300H&H just HAS! to be done on a crf action...it's the only right way to do it.

Rich
DRSS

You got it!

-eric

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish cz would offer their standard American model in 300 H&H. I'd buy one in a heart beat. No way I am paying $2,000.00 for a cz 'Safari Classic'.

I guess the only other option is finding a good used M70 in 300 H&H. I wouldn't mind one of those rifles either! Smiler

Best Regards,
Dave

Posts: 1238 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 31 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hendershot's Sporting Goods has a CZ for sale on their web site.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I really wanted a 300 H&H, I would be searching for a Pre 64 Model 70, a Rem 700 Classic, or a Rem Model 721 in that chambering, in that order.

Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Paul Garret mentioned the Sako L61 action easily handles the .300 H&H. Several years ago I had traded into a .375 H&H Sako and commented that it was so light and the barel taper so thin it should have been a .300 H&H not a three seven five.

So I had Hart Bbl install a same taper 24" barrel and chamber in .300 H&H. I later had it bedded into a glass stock and with a 3.5-10X Leupold mounted it's no lightweight but it is a great 300-400 yd deer/elk gun.

I've also got an original pre 64 in .300 H&H and it's one of my favorite rifles. Going the pre 64 route IS a bit expensive but at least here in Montana I see a lot of good shooter grade guns at Shows. Everyone wants a collector gun, so good shooters are available.

An easy round to load. Brass and ammo still available. Find yourself 40-80 rds of brass and you have a lifetime supply. And last but not least; the .300 H&H IS an absolute CLASSIC.

Good Luck in Your quest.... FN in MT

'I'm tryin' to think, but nothin' happens"!

Curly Howard
Definitive Stooge

Posts: 350 | Location: Cascade, Montana | Registered: 26 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I Emailed CZ, try "...starting price on a 300H&H is $2700, same as a 505 Gibbs, etc. I asked him why I couldn't get one in the standard model for the $1000 retail like a 416 Rigby or 458 Lott...no answer yet. Jeex, I could buy a Lott and have a gunsmith convert to switch barrel, interrupted threads, and fit a 300H&H barrel for a lot less. I told the guy CZ was missing a couple thousand units per year in sales by not offering the 300H&H in a standard.

I think the word here is GREED!

Rich
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Saw a nice pre-64 Model 70 in 300 H&H at the gun show in St. Paul today. Guy wanted $2900 for it. I guess that explains what y'all mean by expensive.

Al

Spend your life wisely.

Posts: 49 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I know where there is a remington in unfired condition 300 h&h some shelf wear but not much .

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If a CZ costs $2700, then that is just crazy! If you are wanting a hunting rifle, then you can easily find a pre-64 M70 for less than that. If you are willing to spend say up to 2K, then you can buy any of a number of magnum rifles and just have it rebarreled. Would likely shoot much better that most factory arms too.

What is the maximum price you want to spend?

BTW-I would like to see the raw data on the market research that indicates American consumers would buy 2000 CZ .300 H&H's a month. I don't believe it and want to see the data for myself. There is an excellent reason that .300 H&H's are not made-THEY DID NOT SELL!!!

Let's do a poll. How many of you own a .300 H&H and how many have bought one within the last 5 years. I am seriou. Let's do a rollcall vote.

I will start-I own exactly zero.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

I said a "year". There must be a market, otherwise CZ would not be offering them. As a standard, IMHO, their market would run a couple thousand units the first year to eighteen months because at $1000 retail a lot of people would own one...me included.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking "year" when I typed "month." Sorry for the confusion. I want to see your data that says they will sell 2000/yr. I am 100% serious-please post the data for us to see. I want to know how you came up with that sales figure.

How many .300 H&H's do you own IS? WHen the companies were making them and selling them in this country, how many did you buy? Please tell me how many you have and when you bought them. Also if you bought them new or used.

Anytime someone posts and idea on a messag eboard, the masses shout, "Count me in! I will buy one as soon as they are available!" Then the objects are brought to market and sell 2-5% of what people say will sell. Ask anyone who has owned their own business and done a lot of sales. Falling for the emotional "I want one!" is soemthing we all have done, but it is a rookie mistake of the first order. Speaking from amlot of experiecne here. This is not theory, first hand experience at losing more money than many folks have made.

I have a firend who went through this exercise in the first quarter of this year. He propsed making something and over a hundred people swore on message boards that they would buy one. He spent A LOT of money tooling up and now makes that object. He has sold exactly 4. This is exactly what I expected as I watched all of it unflod from Day 1. And trust me, it is not that I am smart or can see the future or anything. It is just that I have done it myself and seen all of my freinds do it too. I only have a husband and wife friends who are not busienss owners. I have seen this happen countless times.

IS-if you are serious and want CZ to make a run of 2000 rifle, I will tell you a way you can get them to take a serious look at it. Collect a NON-REFUNDABLE deposit for 1/2 of the retail price of the rifle and bring that money and a list of all of the buyers to the folks at CZ. If oyu are not prepared to collect the non-refundable deposit and put it up yourself, then this is just mental masturbation on your part.

Any successful business owner who reads a thread such as this one can tell you exactly what will happen.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:

Let's do a poll. How many of you own a .300 H&H and how many have bought one within the last 5 years. I am seriou. Let's do a rollcall vote.

You're welcome to start your own thread for your poll, but it really doesn't relate to my question here. I'd like to avoid a pissing match if possible. Thanks for the response though. beer

-eric

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I will start-I own exactly zero.

Please enter this poll here.. Cool

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=447104763#447104763

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent point TH. I am publically appologizing for posting what I did. While I stand by what I wrote, I was out of line in doing it in this thread and it is more appropirate under a seperate heading.

Thank you sir! beer

One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
No biggie, MS, no offense taken. Cheers!

-eric

One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
TEAT HOUND...I'll be putting up a pre64 300H&H in the BST in a couple months. I just re-acquired it. You've got a PM if you want first crack.

Posts: 1550 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Teat Hound
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wizard78:
TEAT HOUND...I'll be putting up a pre64 300H&H in the BST in a couple months. I just re-acquired it. You've got a PM if you want first crack.

Send a pm once you're ready, thanks.

-eric

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
winchester has stopped making the brass

#dumptrump

opinions vary band of bubbas and STC hunting Club

Information on Ammoguide about
the416AR, 458AR, 470AR, 500AR
What is an AR round? Case Drawings 416-458-470AR and 500AR.
476AR,
http://www.weaponsmith.com

Posts: 38459 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

check the production figures when Remington made the custom classic in 300H&H, the numbers inspired them to make a run of brass and loaded ammunition. And, the classic is a PF action. I am headed towards buying a CZ in 375 and rebarreling it to 300H&H.

Rich
DRSS

one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
Hill Country Rifles will make one up for you. I talked with them about doing it on a Remington action. it priced out to about $1500 I think based on what I was looking for.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2578 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ also has that 300 H&H listed right at 10 lbs... There is no way I would want to lug around a 10 lbs + scope, mounts, sling, ammo 300 H&H. That's about 2 lbs too heavy for that chambering, if not more.

My 300 H&H with scope, loaded and ready to go is about 8.25 lbs and I think it could go on a diet. Even when loaded to the hilt with 200 grain North Forks the recoil is fairly tame.

If their specs are right, that's too much weight for that rifle.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 09 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Theres a local shop here with a used Rem 700BDL in 300.H&H it has a 3x9 Leupold VXIIc on it. He's asking $499.00. I never looked at it close so I can't rate it's condition.

If theres any interest I'll post his contact info.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lennyzrx,

please PM me with that information. Have you had a good look at it as far as condition wise?

thanks,

Rich
DRSS
here we go again...honey...?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
sent ya a pm. with his contact info. Let me know if ya did'nt get it.

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pedro in Idaho:

Magazine is longer for the H&H, you might have to look towars a .375 action to get it.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote