New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako 85 vs Sako 75
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have no experience with Sako rifles whatsoever.

The Sako 85 is a nice looking rifle and I have heard a lot of good things about Sako's accuracy and quality, etc.

What would be the advantage of the Sako 85 over the 75 in a .338 WM, if any?

Posts: 119 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 25 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the biggest change in the new 85 was they redid the design of the stock, along with some other minor changes. I would hold both the 75 and 85 and see which fits you better. Other than that sakos are about as good as it gets in a production rifle. I have 4 of them and have been very pleased.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of GA DEER HUNTER
posted Hide Post
I have a 75 and it fits me perfectly. I have not tried an 85, but the Sako 75 is an excellent rifle.

Posts: 392 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Toadhead, I have a bunch of both. The 85 has a unique recoil management system, it is not a lug like on a typical rifle, not even like the removable lug on the 75. The 85 has a square 'pin' of sorts, that fits into a pocket in the stock.

Both rifle's systems work well, my main Sako smith like's the 85's system better, but only on the Grey Wolf and wooden stocked versions. The reason for this is that on the Finnlite and Stainless Synthetic versions of the 85, the recoil 'pocket' is aluminum, and it is his opinion (mine also) that over time this pocket will wear, which may or may not alter the rifle's accuracy.

The stock on the 85 is very different than the 75, it is straighter, slimmer, and has no palm swell. I like features of both stocks, but the 85 stock does seem to handle recoil better, that might be a consideration in the 338.

My Sako guru smith says that the 85 has better dry fire response, I'm not really sure what this means in real world accuracy, but he says it puts less vibration into the system. I will say that all 4 of my 85's shot extremely well with virtually no load development.

The 85's detachable box mag has a feature wherin you must push up on the magazine while depressing the release latch or the magazine will not release. This is probably a good feature, but is a pain in the ass if you are used to the 75's where you just depress the release and the magazine comes out.

The bolt on all of my 85's run extremely smoothly, on some of my 75's they do, some the don't--or I should say didn't, I worked on them til they were smooth--or had them worked on, but the 85's have been really slick right out of the box. An important note, I am really picky, and none of my 75's had bolts that functioned roughly, I just had several that I wanted a tad smoother--I've got a whole bunch of 75's.

I think the others who suggested fondling both models and picking the one that suited you best gave you good advice, If it was a toss up for you though, I would probably buy the 85 as it is the current production rifle. You can certainly get a great deal on some of the 75's still, although in certain calibers I have seen the prices of 75's going UP as they are becoming scarcer.

One thing to consider, they offer both rifles in a 'varmint' configuration, which gives you a set trigger on the rifle. They are a good bit more change, but a .308 with the wide forend stock with the set trigger, makes a hell of a Big Game rig--you don't have to set the trigger and it functions just like a standard trigger, but if you want, you set that sucker, and just a few ounces of pull and she's off! Here's one 75 in 308 w/ set trigger

And the 85 85 w/ set trigger

If you have any other questions, let me know--I'm obviously a Sako 75 & 85 nut.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Along with Fish I'm one of the other big Sako nuts around here. He has a lot more experience with the 85's though. I like the Wood stocked 85's better than the wood stocked 75's, the classic shape, nice shadowline cheekpeice and extra checkering panel make the wood 85's a improvement over the 75's IMO.
I like the new magazine release. I've never had one of my 75's release in the field but have always thought they came out too easily.
If you were wanting a Stainless Synthetic I'd find a Model 75. The new synthetic stock on the 85's is just a little goofy to me. The removable cheekpeice, little circles in the checkering and a couple other Italian fashion statements on the 85 synthetic stock make it look cheesy to me. I like the 85's profile better but in all other details I don't care for it. Hopefully the 85 Finnlites won't be as bad.
The good news is that Sako's shoot. They are all very accurate so whichever one you get you know that if you do your part it will shoot well.
Good luck.....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The removable cheekpeice,

DJ, before I knew that the recoil 'pocket' was aluminum on the Stainless syn 85's I bought one. It shoots great! having said that the cheekpiece isn't removable, unless you used a grinder or a belt sander or something....maybe there's a model I haven't seen yet.

I'll try and post a picture of my bevy of 85's later.....I actually have 5 of them now.....
1 Stainless syn 270, 1 hunter model 270, 1 Grey wolf 270 WSM, 1 6.5x284 based on Hunter action w/stainless barrel, 1 6.5x284 based on grey wolf--all stainless.....

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Fish

I am awaiting delivery of a Stainless syn 85 in 300 WSM but have only just heard about the recoil pocket being aluminium. Can you explain in a little more detail the situation with the alu pocket. I am having trouble envisaging what it looks like and any potential issues. If it was presenting problems, would it be replacable with a steel one?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
PS any pics would also be appreciated. I also forgot to say that I did handle a wood 85 last saturday and was extremely impressed with the quality of the finish in general especially the checkering and also the smoothness of the bolt. It reminded me slightly of a Kimber. When I placed the order for my 85 I wasn't 100% sure I had done the right thing but afetr seeing the quality of the wood one I have complete confidence now in my decision.

Posts: 596 | Location: Cheshire, England | Registered: 06 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon2, I'll try and get some pics posted later. I have actually asked my Sako smith to inquire as to the availbility of the steel 'pockets' for my Syn Stainless 85. No response yet, but typically Sako offers most any parts to their dealers, so I remain hopeful that part will become available. I actually am not so concerned that I won't take the action out of the stock, so maybe I can get a pic that will show the setup of the recoil pin/pocket also.

I think it would take a lot of shooting to see wear in this pocket, but if your on AR you may just do enough shooting, which I think I might...we'll see... the Sako folks said they kept it aluminum to maintain weight savings in the Finnlite and Syn/Stainless--what a crock though, there couldn't be a 1/2 oz difference.....

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Fish

Pics would be fantastic if its not too much trouble when you have the time.

Many thanks again

posted Hide Post
I have not seen what this square pocket looks like but I doubt it being aluminum is anything to be concerned with. Many first-rate stocks like the Accurate Innovations wood stocks and the HS Precision synthetic stocks use aluminum bedding blocks and the recoil lug pushes against aluminum. I have several of these used with magnum rifles and have no issues with the aluminum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Pedro, good point and I am glad to hear it. I think my smith (and me) just like the thought of steel bearing on steel for recoil management.

Here is the 85 gang....Shown with a large Brown Bear, I 'got' in late 2005 Smiler

One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I personally prefer my model 75 rifles stocks design over the m85. The m85 is same as the Tikka T3 with a cheek pad.

Dont get me wrong as I have 2 T3 LS 270WSM and love them.

I also do not care for the new synthetic stock over the m75 eitther. Feels cheap. I would go with a Greywolf model over the SS model. Personally opinions

I do love my Sako's but dont care for the new stocks.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jon2:
Fish

I am awaiting delivery of a Stainless syn 85 in 300 WSM but have only just heard about the recoil pocket being aluminium. Can you explain in a little more detail the situation with the alu pocket. I am having trouble envisaging what it looks like and any potential issues. If it was presenting problems, would it be replacable with a steel one?

Any response would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

I would luv to see how these 85 recoil-lugs setup work myself.Pic's??????

The aluminium pocket wouldn't put me off buying one,but I do agree steel on steel makes sense.
But saying that,look at the T3's setup.Aluminium recoil-lug(mating into steel) that works a charm,so at the end of the day she'll be sweet IMHO.

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK guys, here's the 'pocket'. It simply bears against the injection molded recess of the stock, I interpreted my smith's comments to mean the stock had an aluminum bearing surface. The wooden stocks are just the same, although I have had them pillar and glass bedded. It appears that the Sako engineers intend for the recoil to be managed by the entire bearing surfaces of the action within the stock, which I suppose is actually the case with all rifles to some degree anyway, but one thing I can tell you is this--these rifles shoot! I can say these 5 Sako '85's shoot as good or better than any of my many 75's, and equal to my Sauer 202's which is really saying something.
The 'ridge' and square 'pin' are held into the recesses in the stock, sorry the stock pick would just not come out real clear. My smith really likes this system, and in fact no aluminum is in the mix for sure.....

Here's the pics:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish, any chance you could weigh a one of your 85's perhaps a wood stocked one and give the caliber, w/scope is fine, thanks

One of Us
Picture of 340Wby
posted Hide Post
Weird looking system.

Posts: 163 | Location: Earth  | Registered: 28 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
handwerk, weighed the 85 Hunter in .270 Win with a Swaro 4x12x50 TDS in Talley rings, no ammo or sling it went 6lbs 13oz. This one actually has a really nice piece of wood on it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
So the rifle naked must be around 6 lbs, that 1 1/2 lbs lighter than my old model 75. Thanks for the info

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Fish

Many thanks for the pictures. Very appreciated. From memory I think it is a similar design to the T3 re recoil lug and it works fine on that rifle.

Handwerk

The reason I decided to order one of the 85's was because they are significantly lighter than the 75. I had a 75 quite a few years ago in 7mm Rem Mag which seemed to weigh a tonne and I got rid of it for that reason.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Sako 75 is a 375 H&H. I haven't seen any of the 85 models but would assume they are real close to the 75 models. Because there is nothing
wrong with the my model 75.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Fish

What level of accuracy have you had out of your 85's? Have you been able to get on the lands with any of your loads at all?

Many thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon2, I have had excellent accuracy out of these 85's. The 6.5x284's are custom barreled and pillar & glass bedded, and shoot sub .5 moa easily.

The other 3 have all been sub moa rifles with little to no load development. The Stainless Syn is a 270 win, and it shot Win Premium 140 accubond factory ammo great from the start. Right at 1/2" at 100, and that's the bullet I wanted to shoot in that rifle, so I stopped right there. The hunter model is also a 270 win, and it is being slightly finnicky, but it is under an inch, I did a little load development for it, and the 4th load I ran proved to be very consistent, 130 gr TSX's.

I have not been able to get to the lands on either of the 3 bone stock rigs, with rounds that would clear the magazine. No worries though, they still shoot. I personally think getting your bullets seated on the lands is a little over-rated, and I have many rifles that shoot incredibly well seated a good bit back of the lands.
The 270 WSM (grey wolf) shot some pet loads that I had built for one of my 75's sub 1/2 moa, 140gr. SGK HP's over H4831sc. A great all around hunting load.

As you can see in the photo's I really like Talley mounts, you do however need the short action base for the rear dovetail, even on the long action, there is a difference in the dovetails between the 75's and 85's. I spoke to Gary at Talley last week, and he is checking to see what the specs are, so he can have the proper bases boxed up when a person orders bases for the 85.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Thanks Fish

One more question which has come to mind is to ask you if your 85 in 270 WSM cycles reliably with a full mag. I have a Win M70 270 WSM which is meant to hold 3 rounds in the mag. It does hold 3 but hardly ever cycles flawlessly to full capacity. It does however feed 100% reliably if I load it with 2 rounds in the mag. I expect the Sako's do not have this problem but would very much be interested in your own experiences.

Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon2 , that is a good question. The key I have found often, is that your rounds must be nearly full length of the magazine to function smoothly. In other words, if the rounds are long enough that the bullet hits the feed ramp right, and the side of the chamber it will feed great.

Specifically, I have cycled many rounds of both the Win Factory 130 NBT's and AB's, as well as the Fed premium TSX loads, and they have cycled smoothly and efficently. I always cycle the bolt sharply, I have noticed with many rifles, and especially the WSM's that if you cycle at a slow pace, sometimes they don't feed as well.

The 270 WSM 85 I have holds 4 in the mag just like the 75, and it cycles great. The bolt on the 85 is just damn smooth, on every one I have!

I have some hanloads that I had worked up for one of my 75 WSM's and they cycle just great as well.

Regards--Don

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Don

Many thanks and your answer was what I suspected. I will let you know how I get on with my knew one when it arrives (it will be some time yet). Also do you know the LOP of the 85 and do you think it would be possible to extend it at all on the synthetic stocked version?

Thanks and regards

Jon

one of us
posted Hide Post
Jon2, LOP measures just a tiny bit over 13.5 inches. On the syn stock, I would think it would be pretty straightforward to remove the recoil pad, and put in some spacers or a thicker recoil pad and gain some length that way. There isn't a spacer system that is integral to the stock, so it would take a little bit of reworking to get some additional length, but as I said, I think that would be pretty straightforward.

Look forward to hearing about your rig when you get her.

One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
Don

Thanks. Yes I thought it might not be too difficult to have some kind of spacers fitted if the lop is too short. I have a 14.5 inch lop on my M70 which helps significantly in reducing felt recoil.

Thanks again

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got through reading yet another article about the new Sako Model 85 in one of the various gun rags.
As I read it I realized that in not one of the many magazine articles about the Model 85 did I learn anywhere near as much about the rifle as I have here from Fish30114 and his pics of the lug system and other comments. Don, Good Job and thanks............................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jon2
posted Hide Post
DJ

I agree entirely - very useful info indeed. I saw a review in a French hunting mag before Christmas which gave the 85 a good write up but it was the Hunter version. The French seem to have a significant fan club of short mag users. I think this is a result of military calibres not allowed. Anyway I digress slightly but the info Don has posted is fantastic.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Late to the party, here, but this thread answered some questions for me. I was interested in where the M75 weight went, and it's clearly in the lug system and the new stock. Thanks Fish ans dj.

Jaywalker

Posts: 1006 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Strawman419
posted Hide Post
With the worry of the stock, and I definitely want stainless, would it be better to have the laminated stock over the synthetic? It adds about a pound of weight, but if I get it in 300 win mag, I may not complain as much about recoil if there is extra weight. Thanks.

"Pray not for lighter burdens, but for stronger backs." T. Roosevelt

Posts: 71 | Location: Toledo | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish: Have you noticed a significant difference in length of pull between the 75 and 85? I handled an 85 Finnlight and it felt quite a bit shorter than my 75s. Also, I have been looking everywhere for a 75 Finnlight in 6.5x55. If you see one, I would really appreciate a heads up. I know JB at Accuflite has them but he is pretty steep price wise. He keeps trying to sell me a 6.5x284 instead. Thanks!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strawman, I would go with the laminated in less you are just absolutely focused on weight, for say a mountain rifle or such, and yeah, I think you're right, an extra pound in a 300 Mag could be a good thing.

LJS, yes that's a good point, the 75 is about a 1/2" longer LOP, maybe 5/8" longer, and the 75 is just a thicker 'bigger' stock, plus it has the palm swell.
A Finnlite in 6.5x55 is a great idea, and I haven't seen one anywhere else. I resigned myself a while back to just pay a bit more, and know I would have excellent service, and I buy quite a bit of gear from JB. I think I started the fire with JB on the 6.5x284, it pushes the performance envelope on my beloved .270, and I think has the edge in that ethereal category of 'inherent accuracy'....one thing I will say is that I have 4 6.5x284's and they are unbelievably accurate. I love em. As an aside they are just a hanmmer on whitetails, me and my #1 hunting podner have shot a bunch with them, and all I can say is Awesome!

I really like the idea of the 6.5x55 in a Finnlite, I think a 85 in that configuratioin would be a sweet, light beauty!

Regards--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish:
I bought an 85 Finnlight in 6.5x55 at Hendershots today. Just dumb luck. I walked in and there it was. Best part was I had a pile of credit there so I feel like I got it for free. I agree JB is a good guy and really knows his Sakos. I may spring for the 6.5x284 yet. Thanks!
Lou (LJS)

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cudo's LJS, I'm a little bit envious! Let us know how you get it set up and how she does. I've a bit of credit at Hendershots also, I need to see if they have another one!

Good shooting--Don

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fish: I put one of the Zeiss 1" Diavari 3x9s that are discontinued on it in Talley mounts. I ordered Lapua brass and Redding dies this morning from Midway. I can't wait to try it out.
LJS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Could any of you guys that have a model 85 in ss/syn or finnlight mind weighing the stock (if she's not sighted in yet) I'm wondering how much of the rifles weight they shaved off the stock. Thanks

One of Us
Picture of Robert405
posted Hide Post
Fish30114, earlier in this thread you mentioned that you have a gunsmith that is good with Sako's. Could you share his info here or in a PM?

Posts: 150 | Location: GA. | Registered: 31 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Handwerk, the one Syn/Stainless I have is getting ready to go to Kansas, so I don't want to pull her apart right now, but if no one chimes in, I will when I get back (Mid Dec.) and weigh her then.

Robert, I have two main smiths that work on my Sako's for me. The first is JB @ Accuflite. As some have mentioned his retail prices may not be rock bottom on a few items, but he is just an avid Sako guy, and extremely knowledgeable about them, Sako actually queries him from time to time about their rifles. He has built several customs for me, and worked on several other rifles to my complete satisfaction.

The other smith is Jim Brockman of Brockman's custom rifles. Both have websites, if you need a link just let me know. I've got no problem sharing these fellows info, as I have had nothing but great results and response from them.