Notify
Tools

Your favorite 35 caliber
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
I only listed the ones that hold a place in my imagination, heart and hands. The song of the 358 Norma never made me dance. I just keep thinking that Inwould rather have a 35 newton If I wanted more than a Whelen. It is harder to have more cool factor than a 35 Newton. It is the Paul Newman/Steve McQueen of 35s.

quote:
Originally posted by surefire7:
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
You are all wrong!
The correct answer is 350 Rigby!
The 35 Whelen is number 2 by the thinnest frog hair.

350 Rigby
35 Whelen
35 Newton
350 HH/G&H
358 Win
350 Remington Mag
35 Rem
358 Gremlin
357 Maximum

The rest don’t hold sway on my emotions

Boomie,

Where does the 358 Norma stand in your lineup? Or does it...

Thanks for that Boomie.

I like your Paul Newman/Steve McQueen analogy!

As to your response, I assume for you, the 358STA falls to the 350G&H, like the Norma fell to the Newton?

Posts: 2581 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy choice for me....9X57! Loaded with Hornady 250 gr RN bullets, it does the job!

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 35 Rem ,358 Win ,9x57, 35 Whelan a couple 35 Whelan Ackley Imp, 350 Rem and a 358 Norma.They all stop game. If I could only have one it would be the 35 W AI. It will do all the smaller 35s will do and most of what the larger ones will do.

Posts: 2432 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's my .35 Newton, built on a 1916 Newton action, evidently by Griffin & Howe, using what appears to be a take off half octagon, half round barrel to give it some much needed weight up front, and a Zeiss Zielklein scope in a G&H single lever, windage adjustable side mount.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
“Where does he get all those wonderful toys” (My best Nicholson joker accent.)
That is quite a prize 35
Color me jealous. Mad clap

quote:
Originally posted by xausa:
Here's my .35 Newton, built on a 1916 Newton action, evidently by Griffin & Howe, using what appears to be a take off half octagon, half round barrel to give it some much needed weight up front, and a Zeiss Zielklein scope in a G&H single lever, windage adjustable side mount.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the following:
.357 Magnum
.357 Maximum
.356 Win.
9x57MM
.35 Whelen

Only the first and last have remained in my rifle rack, and both get used in the field, for very different reasons. The .35 Whelen is very capable for any "bigger than deer" critter in North America, and I have used it successfully for many elk, moose, and such. 250 grain bullets are a good match for the bore size and my hunting.
I only use the .357 mag. carbine as a " truck gun, and plinker. It is a "just in case" rifle not for serious hunting. Really like it though.

Posts: 231 | Location: Saskatchewan, Canada | Registered: 24 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used a 35 whelen A I since 1998 used on many deer numerus black bear 4 moose its like they get hit with the hammer of thorr pre 64 Winchester action shillen barrel 25" black fiberglass all weather stock sub minute shooter. it has the same amount of knockdown as my 330 Dakota very close to 358 norma

Posts: 66 | Location: mn | Registered: 01 February 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
358 Winchester BLR. Compact and lightweight. Packs a considerable wallop.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
.350 Rigby Magnum

Posts: 1330 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 4sixteen
posted Hide Post
Remington 7400 35 Whelen autoloader. Ideal for dispatching multiple targets in rapid succession.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some nice hardware and photos being posted up above guys. Thanks!

Still looks like the 35 Whelen is in the lead so far. A lot of great calibers being nominated.

Keith Wood wrote an excellent article in the latest edition of Peterson's Hunting magazine on medium bores titled, 'Stuck in the Middle', if you haven't seen it yet. Myself, as a lover of the mediums, (and you!) if you regularly read this sub-forum as I do, I think you'll enjoy the read. He considers the mediums, all cartridges between 30-06 and 375, not inclusive. He names a bunch of them, but left the magnums out of this particular article. Great reading!

What was his favorite? Like our little survey so far, his choice is the 35 Whelen!

One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
Hello surefire7.

Although I have a couple rifles in 35 Rem caliber, and one in 35 Rem mag, my absolute favorite 35 caliber is the 35 Whelen. (or in my case - the 35 Whelan) Great bullet selection from light weight pistol bullets for plinking and varmints - up to 300g bullets for real serious stuff. If I was limited to only one caliber, it would be the 35 Whelen.

Here's my Custom Rock Island 03 purchased back in March. http://forums.accuratereloadin...231084052#5231084052

I updraded from the Tasco scope to a Classic Lymann All American Post-Crosshair

"Whelen" is spelled "Whelan" on my rifle.

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2100 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A beautiful rifle there Buckstix. Thanks for posting!

I guess we're gonna' add you to the list of 35 Whelen fans, even though your barrel says Whelan! Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, rereading the posts here, some of you guys truly are 35 caliber nuts.

I'm honored to be part of the 'brotherhood' with you.

If you're one of us and haven't posted yet, welcome, and please join the conversation and give us your list of 35s, and remember, pick your favorite. Thanks! wave

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
My Favorite:

Aut vincere aut mori

Posts: 4857 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
That's a classy one z1r. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
No worries zlr! You too will be counted with the 35 Whelens.

Should I add two more categories: 35 Whelan and 35 Wehlen?....

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have been looking for a Schultz and Larsen 358 Norma for ages.

Should have bought a new one in Germany last year.

The current owner of Schultz and Larsen hates Americans, and was a dickhead to me over the phone or I probably would have.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I liked the 35 Whelan in the past, but the use of my first 9.3x62 sent my Whelan down the road, never to return, and the .338 dulled my love of the 9.3x62, but a 93x64 sure did impress me on one safari I made with it....

I have always thought the 358 Norma was a dandy option, but the advent of the .338 Win, killed that desire and as such Ive never owned a 358 Norma, but Ive seen it used and its an awesome killer of PG in Africa, and elk and moose in the US...I would not hesitate to shoot an elephant with the 358 and a good solid, but I waited to long to wring one out I fear..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4sixteen:
Remington 7400 35 Whelen autoloader. Ideal for dispatching multiple targets in rapid succession.

Couldn't agree more! 35 Whelen all day, every day.

None better, especially if chambered in an autoloader, ... and even better if it's a Garand-based action, like Shuff's carbine-size Mini-G.

An 8-rd clip of those big fat 250gn .35-diameter slugs will put that moose or bear down right now, and tasty meat on your plate that night. tu2

All The Best ...

Posts: 813 | Location: Texas | Registered: 15 October 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
Love my Remington 700 Classic in 35 Whelen... with my caste bullets for deer, and jacketed 225 gr Sierras for larger game... just works great for anything I come across in PA... even groundhogs out to about 200 yds... what the hell!! A super accurate thumper of a round and gun.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For me, it's the 358 Win.

Posts: 20076 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
9x57.. for now

Posts: 6361 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have two ruger 77 Hawkeys in .358 also may sell one just don't need two any more but they sure put the thump on a deer.

Posts: 19 | Location: Hoosier National Forest Area . | Registered: 29 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, so far the 35 Whelen still holds the lead.

Getting extra votes on the 358 Win.

Is the 35 Whelen the King of 35s, popularity wise?

Vote for your favorite.

Tell me about your 35...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why is the reason that some of you guys deliberately misspell Col.Townsend Whelen`s name to Whelan?

Arild Iversen.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Some people don't realize the "proper" spelling of a name is the way the "owner" spells it. So it sounds like Whelan but it isn't. Be Well, Packy

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I don't know about that. I've always pronounced it as it's spelled. But often I hear people pronouncing it Whalen. Especially Larry Potterfield on the Midway USA commercials on TV.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2786 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The host of his Gun Stories show also pronounce Selous, Say Low.

I appreciate Harry Poterfield, but that really aggravates me.

I know own a 35 caliber rifle, and yes it is a 35 Whelen. However, for best I still vote the 358 STA. Can I vote twice?

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
To dispel rumors and mispronunciations, Waylon Jennings DID NOT invent the 35 Whelen. Colonel Whelen did.

Posts: 27590 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by richj:
9x57.. for now

My goodness....what beauty!

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rugers latest is the Ruger Single shot 1-S in 35 Whelen, and its really got my eye, and sooner or later Id punch it out to a 358 Norma, a caliber Ive never owned, but its just got to be a dandy in all respects. Ive been looking for an older 1-S in .338 (the 1-S comes with Alex Hendry forend and iron sights and 26 " barel) Not sure about the new 35 whelen..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You meant the 350 Rigby or the 350 Rigby No. 2.... right?

quote:
Originally posted by Atkinson:
Rugers latest is the Ruger Single shot 1-S in 35 Whelen, and its really got my eye, and sooner or later Id punch it out to a 358 Norma, a caliber Ive never owned, but its just got to be a dandy in all respects. Ive been looking for an older 1-S in .338 (the 1-S comes with Alex Hendry forend and iron sights and 26 " barel) Not sure about the new 35 whelen..

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
https://ruger.com/products/no1/specSheets/21302.html

1 in 12 twist no less

posted Hide Post
Hi gays
I have one Schultz & Larsen in 358 Norma Magnun, and one Sauer 202 magnun in 358 Norma Magnum.
So I think I stick with the Norma

Posts: 51 | Location: Westcoast of Norway | Registered: 09 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guys the more I look at this 35 Whelen the more I am liking it. I see a lot of performance and mild recoil in my future. I have ordered Woodleighs reloading manual. 358 caliber, 275 grain heavy jacketed and bonded bullet with a SD of .307. Assuming a mild 2400fps that is a 3,517 at the muzzle.

I maybe changing my vote.

Posts: 10608 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
350 rem mag. rem 600 in brown precision lots of deer a few hogs and a black bear. the bear head was 19 13/16. almost book

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I read about someone loading the 35 Whelen with 160 grain CEB @ 3,200. Let’s not forget the lighter side of the whelen capable of small to medium size game with lighter bullets like a hammer.

quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Guys the more I look at this 35 Whelen the more I am liking it. I see a lot of performance and mild recoil in my future. I have ordered Woodleighs reloading manual. 358 caliber, 275 grain heavy jacketed and bonded bullet with a SD of .307. Assuming a mild 2400fps that is a 3,517 at the muzzle.

I maybe changing my vote.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As this is about 35/9mm I'll leave out my 9.3's but, I like them too! I have 2 9 X 57's, one Sauer and one Haenel/Rasch, of those my favorite is the Haenel/Rasch. Also a 9 X 57R in a Jaeger drilling. As we were told we HAD to pick a favorite mine would be my 9 X 71 Peterlongo on a Johann Peterlongo, 98 Mauser. Think 35 Whelen on steroids. Peterlongo ranks right up there with Heym and Fanzoj and this rifle is no exception, a drop dead gorgeous rifle that shoots as good as it looks.

Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father but through me". John 14:6

Posts: 232 | Location: Northern Missouri Ozarks | Registered: 13 February 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
35 Remington.

My Grampa had one, my brother owns it. My Dad had one, it belongs to a nephew now. My son owns one. We are primarily big woods whitetail hunters.

None of the above rifles are pretty. Savage and Remington pumps. None of them could even be considered tack drivers. All they do is kill deer, year after year.

Easy recoil, low muzzle blast. Its hard to beat for a woods gun cartridge.

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote