THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Tested some loads in my .35 Whelen

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tested some loads in my .35 Whelen
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted
I did some testing with my Rem Classic 22" barrel. Looks like H-322 maybe the powder to use accuracy is same as the RL-15!

60grs of RL-15 with 200gr SP

56grs of H-322 with 200gr SP

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
TC Nut, have you tried any 250 grain bullets yet? I am using the Speer Hot Core with RL-15 and averaging 2470 from a 22 inch Ruger. Accuracy is as good as anything else I have.

one of us
Picture of T/C Nut
posted Hide Post
250's are next on my list!

Posts: 608 | Location: Washington | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you going to use the RL-15 on the 250's? Let us know hot it does.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Lefty315, I also use 250 Speers in my Whelen and they are super accurate and shoot clean through elk. A 250 grain Speer and a max charge of RL 15 is my pet load. I am getting about 2460 fps.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hipster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Lefty315, I also use 250 Speers in my Whelen and they are super accurate and shoot clean through elk. A 250 grain Speer and a max charge of RL 15 is my pet load. I am getting about 2460 fps.

Dave

I use the same formula in my 700 CDL and get pretty much the same velocity that you do. I can't wait to see how those speers do on game.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great post! I'm sitting around recovering from bronchitis and I have all three components to play with: Rem classic, RL15, and plenty of Speers. It will keep me from going crazy! thanks

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote