New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pics of 375 HH in my rotation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I own 3, 375 Rugers. I love that cartridge. I was never a 375 Holland and Holland Belted Rimless Magnum guy. Partly, because 375 HH rifles of my years are overly large built more for 458s. I also preferred 416s or larger for the top end and 338 WM for the low end.

The second gen (no muzzle break with barrel bands fell into my lap) Ruger Hawkeye African. That rifle and the 375 Ruger made me love the 375 Ruger. I bought 2 more.

I figured that took care of the large medium as I plotted for a 358 STA.

Then read Kambaku by Manners, and the Alaskan bear guides. I got into PRE64 Winchester’s with to my eye perfect lines in 375 HH.

Winchester FN started the Alaskan line in South Carolina. Awesome, but I have been holding out for a SS and Laminated Alaskan. One has not came. You can find Portuguese Alaskans for 1k. I need mine made in the USA. It is getting shot and hunted with. PM me email or text number for pictures.

Member Ken Cline offered a US/SC made FN Winchester for &1250.00. I jumped.

He was great to do business with. I got the rifle today. Now, I need something to shoot my 300 Fail Safes with.

Thank you Ken Cline.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Good gracious, friend, let us have some photos!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have never learned the photos here. If anyone will pm an email address or cell number, I will send picks.

Details: 25 inch barrel; hooded brass bead front sight, fold down single leaf on barrel boss machined from barrel, thin tapper barrel, simple walnut stock w pre64 Monte Carlo stock, jeweled bolt. The finish is between mate and blue.

This is a South Carolina FN Winchester.

Posts: 10821 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I messed up by not purchasing one of those Ruger Hawkeye LH 2nd gen (no muzzle brake) in 375 Ruger. Next time a clean one shows up I'll bring it home

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I messed up by not purchasing one of those Ruger Hawkeye LH 2nd gen (no muzzle brake) in 375 Ruger. Next time a clean one shows up I'll bring it home

I got 3 - 2 Alaskan and 1 African - great guns.

Awesome purchase. But the gun is right handed ?

Mike

Posts: 13145 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: 22 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up Ruger Hawkeye, no muzzle brake, weighs 7.5 lbs. naked and 8.5 lbs with a 4X Leupold..Shots pin holes..love the gun.

But Im a brake guy, as long as I can take it off and on and have a thread protector false muzzle..I wish I had the brake model, so if you brake haters have one and it shoots good, we can make a trade perhaps..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank You Bugle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just looked up Winchester site. I thought the Alaskan was only in 375 H&H. Do the snaller calibres have the open sights.

I bet if they made one in 300 H&H that was an exact match to the 375 they would sell some.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes they do.

30/06( hardest to find)
300 WM
338 ( Caliber of the original Alaskan)
375 HH

Are the caliber options.

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Very nice rifle that wants to go hunting!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16365 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'm amazed that the .30-06 Alaskan is a 3+1 rifle

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
Yes they do.

30/06( hardest to find)
300 WM
338 ( Caliber of the original Alaskan)
375 HH

Are the caliber options.

The 264 was the Westerner and the 458 the African. What if "anyhting" was the pre 64 375. The 300 Winchester came out in 1963 so I guess was too late for the party Big Grin

Posts: 7046 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 14 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 375 HH was part of the initial chambering of rifles in 1937.

It was available in the Standard with heavy contour 25 inch barrel (changed from 24 inch)and Supergrade. It was renamed
the Alaskan sub-model which is really a standard rifle in 1960. The low comb standard rifle 375 Hah was discontinued in 1960.

The 300WM was listed under the Western-Alaskan sub models in a 1963 sales catalog. The listing is footnoted available after Feb 1, 1963.

Somewhere in that book is a photo of one Western-Alaskan 300WM. Found it page 59.

Roger Rule personally notes the 300WM is more appropriately configured as an Alaskan. However, he admits the 300WM is cataloged as Western-Alaskan. Winchester never made a decision as to sub model, so barrels are not stamped. The Westernn-Alaskan is how it is listed in the 63 sales catalog. Pg 234-235.

Front sight on original Alaskans are soldiered. The new ones are screwed on.

Supergrades (all calibers) were discontinued in 1959. Pg. 229.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
I'm amazed that the .30-06 Alaskan is a 3+1 rifle

It is not. I have personally seen one. It is 4 plus 1.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:
The 375 HH was part of the initial chambering of rifles in 1937.

It was available in the Standard with heavy contour 25 inch barrel (changed from 24 inch)and Supergrade. It was renamed
the Alaskan sub-model which is really a standard rifle in 1960. The low comb standard rifle 375 Hah was discontinued in 1960.

The 300WM was listed under the Western-Alaskan sub models in a 1963 sales catalog. The listing is footnoted available after Feb 1, 1963.

Somewhere in that book is a photo of one Western-Alaskan 300WM. Found it page 59.

Roger Rule personally notes the 300WM is more appropriately configured as an Alaskan. However, he admits the 300WM is cataloged as Western-Alaskan. Winchester never made a decision as to sub model, so barrels are not stamped. The Westernn-Alaskan is how it is listed in the 63 sales catalog. Pg 234-235.

Front sight on original Alaskans are soldiered. The new ones are screwed on.

Supergrades (all calibers) were discontinued in 1959. Pg. 229.

Many thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Im really liking the .375 Ruger, it outruns my H&H by 100 to 150FPS for what that's worth, not much to me as I load both to 2500 FPS with 300 gr. bullets. Im not sure the Ruger will handle the 350 gr Woodleigh, my favorite 375 bullet for large DG, school still out on that as I presently have no 350 gr. bullets, maybe I will pull some from my H&H and see if they fit the magazine and chamber, if not what can I do to modify that? Im really impressed with the Ruger Hawkeye, recoil is noticeable but seem that I can handle it as the groups are awesome..Hmmm maybe I could use another Bison robe would make a neat set of chinks..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41833 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you and the Ruger both need another Buffalo. Think of it this way, you my have a bison robe, but the 375 Ruger does not.

I think the 375 Ruger case is the best design going. To bad Hornady and Ruger surrendered the field to Nosler.