New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sako Accuracy?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I seached and it seemed everyone reports good accuracy with their Sako. But how good is it really? Due they tend to be finicky with which loads they like? I would like to hear from some Sako owners.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like any and I do mean ANY weapon purchased , some are better than others ; some not as good as others !.

What your asking is impossible to answer . Like ALL weapons even from the same manufacture tend to digest different loads inconsistently .

It's the nature of firearms in general . Mine shoots well but not as well as other rifles I have . Some less expensive rifles I own shoot .5 MOA . My Sako will on occasion but stock or factory loads NO WAY !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
For some reason I havent seen any Sako rifles in my area for a while.

My dad had a Sako in 7mm rem mag that was a tack driver.

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. K,
You are correct that each rifle is an individual. I'm just trying to get a general consensus.
I would like each owner to show how their Sako's shoot, good or bad. I figure if enough people answer it's a good way gauge real world accuracy. Not just from reputation and hearsay. The only Sako's that I've see have been pre-garcias and they all have shot. I don't know how the newer styles are.

Posts: 167 | Location: Eastern Shore of MD | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got a 200grs Lapua Mega load for my .30-06 that I have placed four consequtive shots in a 1/2" diameter on 90 yards using a regular sand-bag rest. The Sako and this cartridge is what I *really* trust, trying to get the same trust for my .338.

Regards
Goran

Browning BAR II Safari .338WM
Sako Hunter .30-06
Remington 700 .222Rem
Ruger 10/22 .22LR
Blaser ES80 cal. 12/.222Rem
Browning B325 cal. 12

Posts: 81 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 10 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Finnlights and 2 model 75 s/s factory guns. The Finnlights are short mags and they shoot 1/2 inch with Federal Premium ammo. They love the Accubonds! My others all shoot about an inch with factory ammo with the exception of my 280. That I load for using 140 Accubonds and 4831 short cut and it makes a single ragged hole. I have a couple of other Sakos that I had re-barreled to 7x57 and 9.3x62 that are great shooters also. You can't go wrong with a Sako. My only complaint is their Optilock mount. Too heavy! I use Talleys on all my Sakos.

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dr. K is right, but........

I have 17 Sako's that are the 'newer' models, 6 are the current production '85's, and 11 are model 75's. I have some older Sako's, a TRG 22 and a TRG 'S' and a couple of older Sako's too. All of them at least shoot very well. Several of them shoot 1/2 MOA or better with little to no load development. Some do far better. In most of my rifles, I develop a load specifically for each, but occasionally a rig shoots good enough with factory ammo that I just go with that. I have 4 Sako's that shoot factory loads half minute or better.

I am a confessed Sako fan. Along with better than average out of the box accuracy IME I have had absolutely 0 feeding problems with them, and uncompromising quality across the board, i.e. stocks, triggers, alignment of receiver, fit/finish. This includes several short mags which are known for feeding issues, just haven't had them with my Sako's. In fact the only short fat cartridge rifles I have anymore are Sako's.

I think you can get most modern rifles to shoot well with load development and maybe some tweaking of triggers, bedding etc. The upshot with Sako's is that load development is all I've had to do, and it was never necessary to get sub MOA performance anyway.

If I was gonna pick just one rifle to have as a hunting rig, it would probably be a Sako 75 or a Sako TRG 'S'.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 Fish

I too am a confessed Sako fan. All of my Sako's have shot from good to great. I won't say that every one is the most accurate gun in their caliber that I've ever had but a few of them are. Some of mine have shot better than 1/2 MOA for 3 shot groups, some are 3/4 or so MOA rifles (3 shots).
I may be the odd man out in that I really like the Optilock mounts. I don't mind an extra ounce or two if it gives me mounts that are bulletproof, never slip, never scratch scopes and match the rifles finish perfectly. They also give you windage adjustment so that you can use your scope in the center of it's windage adjustments. I don't think any of the others have all of these advantages.
Along with Kimbers, Sako's are my favorite factory rifles.......................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plus 3 ;I would not hesitate to purchase a Sako period !. Because I've never been disappointed in one .

I dislike informing someone , " I " have a tack driver , then they purchase one an it patterns like a shotgun .

My EX 22 hornet comes to mind !. Oh I had to have one because a " Friend " told me his was a tack driver ( It isn't either ) . I guess some tack heads are really Large !?.

Out of the box I would say fit , finish , wood and accuracy are out standing IMO .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Mike,

I have had one long term affair with a Sako and that was a Forrester in 243 win purchased in around 1979 - 80. It was the most accurate rifle that I have had and it slew many hundred deer.

I only tried one load in it and that was 40 gr of win 748 under a 90gr Speer in CAC cases with fiocchi primers. It was the first load I tried and the group was a one holer so I just kept on using that load and it dropped reds and sika like magic.

I don't have it now only because of an ex wife other wise it would still be my go to rifle.

You can't go wrong with a Sako.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Fish,

Man you have way too much money to own that many Sakos you lucky bugger.

I'm saving my pennies to get a finlight or 85 SS in 260. The 85ss goes for $2799 here and the finlight for $3099. Thats the bare rifle withour mounts or glass.

Before that i want to get a Vixen or A series in 222 or 223 rem first. they only go for around $1500 second hand!!!

You lucky bugger.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamish:
Gidday Fish,

Man you have way too much money to own that many Sakos you lucky bugger.

I'm saving my pennies to get a finlight or 85 SS in 260. The 85ss goes for $2799 here and the finlight for $3099. Thats the bare rifle withour mounts or glass.

Before that i want to get a Vixen or A series in 222 or 223 rem first. they only go for around $1500 second hand!!!

You lucky bugger.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

its a bugger isnt it hamish! rifles are so expensive here and so are scopes! actually a lot of things are. ah well atleast we can go hunting whenever we want!!

Posts: 735 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 17 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Paul,

Such is the price we pay for living in heaven.

I can live with just one or two Sakos as long as I can just pop out and knock over a deer or catch a trout or salmon whenever I notice that the freezer is looking a little empty. Or put a wee piggy, young goat, chamois or tahr on the barbie.

I'm pretty sure you feel the same as me otherwise you would live elsewhere where they have big game seasons and less hunting oportunities eh.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 2 Sako 75's.One in 6,5x55 and a 222.Both are very accurate with both handloads and factory ammo.Handloads shoot into 1/2" in both calibres.Regards Toby

Posts: 58 | Location: Oslo,Norway | Registered: 24 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hamish, it is a trade off for sure--Sako's are at least 50% less over here, and there are plenty of opportunities to hunt here, but I would love to be in New Zealand for hunting! You and Paul are lucky to be there I reckon, I would love to visit you guys there someday for a hunt!
I would probably go with the Syn/Stainless as opposed to the Finnlite, it's just a fluted barrel, but otherwise the same rifle, it's the one 85 I haven't purchased, of all the others, I really like the Grey Wolf version, but just as luck would have it, my Syn/Stainless in .270 Win shoots 1/2 Minute all day with Winchester Supreme factory ammo with 140 gr. Accubonds....

My wife thinks I have a few too many rifles for sure......I call it a healthy obsession Smiler

I can tell you that the 'A' series are fine rifles indeed. It's interesting, you almost never see a used Sako at a dealer, you can find them online from time to time, but I literally haven't seen one single used Sako for a year or two at a dealer, and I've looked at several shops in several states......there is a new Model 85 called the 'Bavarian' which has an interesting interpretation of the stock, and though I obviously don't need one, I've got one on my target list!

Regards--Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was debating when a good deal came along. So I went ahead and bought a Sako Finnlight in 300 WSM. I just hope it doesn't kick to bad.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fish30114:
My wife thinks I have a few too many rifles for sure......I call it a healthy obsession Smiler

--Don

Hey Don, you might try and tell your wife the same thing that I tell mine;

"I honestly only want one more rifle,

............The next one!" Smiler

It might not work that well but I am still married. Wink ....................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
............The next one!" Smiler

DJ[/QUOTE]

That would be right! I do need a fresh story, my old standby, of 'it's really a lot different from my other ones' is getting stale!

one of us
posted Hide Post
The seller changed his mind. Guess I'm back to debating.

one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
I reload for a friends 300WM using 180 Hornady SPs and 75.5grs. RE22. Just saw him shoot a 1&3/4" group at 200yds the other day(5 shots), 1st 3 were just over an inch. Yup, they shoot very well.

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have a Sako manlicher that will shoot 1/2" inch to 3/4" with my reloads. A stainless, key concept, laminated wood stock Model 75 in 30/06 that will shoot 1/2" 3 shot groups in "plain Jane" Remington Corelock 165 gr. Biggest complaint with the Model 75, way too heavy. A Finnlight in 25-06 that just loves my 100 gr. Nolsler BT reloads, 3/8s of an inch but won't group well with most factory loads in greater weights. And finally a .375 H&H that shoots 1 1/2" at a hundred yards but kind of brutal to me to worry about consistency.

cointoss

Posts: 19 | Location: MI | Registered: 10 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My only Sako is a pre Garcia Finnbear deluxe and is the most picky rifle out of 13 I reload for. It will not shoot a single boat tail bullet I have tried. It will however shoot flat based bullets extremely well. It also has a very long chamber with the 180 gr partition COL being 3.405 which is still .02 off the lands. My pre 64's will only go like 3.3 to 3.5 for comparison.

Posts: 1324 | Registered: 17 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a .338 Lapua in a Sako that is very accurate. My son, grandson and I all have taken Elk with it and consider it one of our "never sell" rifle. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2348 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I have two fullstock Sako rifles. A .243 and .308. Both do better than minute of whitetail at 200 yards with all ammo I have tried. They are chambered to CIP specs and won't chamber all reloaded ammo. I have started using a SB die on all military cases then trimming to minimum length. That solved all my problems. I use Lake City once fired from Midway for my 243, 308, and 358 Winchester. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
I have two Sako 75's, one in 30-06, the other in .375. Both are sub MOA rifles. The most important thing I find is that the first shot from a cold clean barrel falls within a half inch of the fouled shots. A big plus in my book. The barrels seem to be lapped as patches don't seem to snag going down the bore. The adjustable triggers are excellent.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wizard78
posted Hide Post
I've always promoted Sako's. I have about 12 ranging from 22LR to 375H&H. I haven't found one yet that wouldn't shoot MOA or less with factory ammo. Granted you might have to try a couple of weights or manufacturers to achieve but they all do. If you reload then you are guaranteed sub MOA. The only picky one is my Forrester 243. Doesn't like all reloads. No problem though as factory Winchesters shoot 3/4 inch. My favorite is my 308 manlicher, Forrester carbine. Good luck.

Posts: 1550 | Location: SE Florida | Registered: 07 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great family Wizard!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 4 Sako's: Hunter 270, 1" groups with factory ammo; Hunter 375, cant get groups better than 2" despite rebedding, recrowning, triger work, and hand-loading. i think this is because I had it magna-ported. I have 2 sako TRG-S; in 30-378 and 338 Lapua. The 30-378 is a .25" grouper, with occasional one hole 3 shot groups with handloads; The 338 lapua is close, .3" groups, but no one holers.
It depends on the individual weapon, I guess; but I am pretty sure the TRG-S probably uses the match barrel and action used in their sniper rifle, the TRG. perhaps that explains the incredible accuracy from an out of the box rifle, no changes made except trigger adjustment and glass bedding.

Posts: 523 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 18 June 2007Reply With Quote