THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Two data points do not a test make but they are interesting...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two data points do not a test make but they are interesting...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike, this is really interesting; and timely. I have a Ruger M77 at my gunsmith now because I can't get it to shoot any better than 3 moa @ 100 yards. I've checked all the obvious Ruger problem areas and have tried 2 different scopes, 4 bullet (types) with 3 different weights and 3 different powders. He is going to try floating the barrel. Maybe I should have had him whack it and still may if he hasn't got the float job done. If he asks what inch/pound of whack force to use, what should I tell him? Seriously, I'm going to call him tomorrow.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You need to buy a special Bubba Ball Peen certified by the BWA. If you don’t have BWA certification, you can take the classes (or bribe a BWA Grand Poobah) to become a certified Whacker. Yearly fees to stay current is required. After permits and fees this could set you back quite a few clams.

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
DLS,

Given the way I shot on the last day it might help.

Biggs,

Tell him to whack it like he is trying to knock sense into a 16 yr old.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
You need to buy a special Bubba Ball Peen certified by the BWA. If you don’t have BWA certification, you can take the classes (or bribe a BWA Grand Poobah) to become a certified Whacker. Yearly fees to stay current is required. After permits and fees this could set you back quite a few clams.

The BWA is currently in the process of negotiating a special run of hammers from Snap On Tools. These hammers will bear the official BWA certification seal and will meet ALL requirements needed to whack your barrels.

Remember to send all dues and bribes (yes, I accept bribes as well) to me. This is a very important point and failure to do so could jeopardize your future whacking barrels!

As a point of fact, using your new Snap On BWA certified hammer to try and knock sense into a 16 yr old will void it's warrantee! Nothing will dent a 16 yr old's head and would only result in a damaged whacker!

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, well, well.....lookee here. Looks as though the BWA is now out of the closet....uhhhh, out in the open. Mr. Dettorre has gifted me with this tee shirt.

Thank you Mike....I cannot wait to see what kind of stares and questions I get when I wear it!

Now, if Snap On will just start turning out those hammers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so thats what they call it now? barrel whacking?

Posts: 1532 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike - -

What do you think the result would have been if you were to forego the whack and just take the barreled action out of the stock, then replace it with correct torque on the action screws?

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alec,

The screws had been set correctly as it was in after market Hogue and the stock was first and subsequently installed to the recommended torque settings.

So I don't believe any minor changes in torque setting or action "settling" played a role. But none of this is an exact science so we really don't know.

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10043 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Some guys are skeptical and some are treating it like a joke. I get that, but I assure it isn't. I, and the guy who taught me the process, have successfully used it more than once. So even though the OP has had two successes, he is just more data points in the line of previous successes.
How to do it; hit it three times on the bottom of the barrel, right where the taper starts to get small. Why not on top? You will leave a big scar on your bluing if you do. Use a one pound hammer of any type. Hit 3/4s as hard as you can. Hold the receiver in your left hand, muzzle down; do not clamp it in a vise.
Here is what I said, further up, for those like me who never read all the posts.
It wasn't the guard screws; I have proof of the efficacy of this process as well. And the OP has two instances in a row that reacted the same. For properly stress relieved custom barrels, such as Douglas's proven process, this procedure won't help (nor would it be needed).
But for lesser barrels, hammer forged barrels, ones not correctly stress relieved by heat in the manufacturing process, then it might work.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alec,

If you tell me your shirt size and promise to try it, I will send you a barrel whacker's t-shirt. But you have to pay Hook your dues Big Grin .

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Alec,

If you tell me your shirt size and promise to try it, I will send you a barrel whacker's t-shirt. But you have to pay Hook your dues Big Grin .

Mike - size medium. I WILL try it. "The check is in the mail..." Big Grin

Posts: 872 | Location: S. E. Arizona | Registered: 01 February 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alec,

PM your new address.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Some uninvited advice to the powers that be... How about for viral marketing the first 100 people to add BWA to their signature line get the fees waved and lifetime membership barring BWA apostasy. If you post pics of you in a BWA T-shirt then you receive Poobah status. Whack successfully 3 or more barrels to receive past sins of unbelief in the enlightenment of whacking forgiven and temporary sainthood. Of course the T-shirts are sold for a hefty profit to cover lavish vacations and lifestyle

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Waive the dues...heresy!

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I love this thread. Hilarious

I have a few guns I may try this on just to test

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Oh no! I have become a BWA heretic! Now I need to achieve Sainthood to cleanse my sins. Anyone have three poor grouping rifles that I can whack? I will do this https://youtu.be/YgYEuJ5u1K0
with rifle barrels till I can atone.

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Alec,

PM your new address.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Vibration stress relief. The first time I visited Rock Creek barrels there was a contraption in the back corner of the shop with rifle barrel blanks stacked like cordwood in a welded steel basket. It was a giant vibratory stress relief machine. Mike Rock turned it on to show me and it made a hell of a racket as the barrels rattled against each other.

I wonder if your whacking is really doing something to relieve stress or possibly setting the barrel tenon into a natural or normalized resting position as there could be minuscule movement on the threaded joint as it’s under such high tension...something shown by Vaughn in his book Rifle Accuracy.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1168 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boom stick:
Oh no! I have become a BWA heretic! Now I need to achieve Sainthood to cleanse my sins. Anyone have three poor grouping rifles that I can whack? I will do this https://youtu.be/YgYEuJ5u1K0
with rifle barrels till I can atone.

No, no, nooooo! Only prompt payment of dues plus bribes commensurate with your level of heresy will cleanse you, Brother!

BTW, substitution of your forehead in lieu of a hammer only works if you are a Liberal.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
This chat/technique might just spawn a new barrel maker:

Company name: Padde
CEO: Nick Knack

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5086 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Soooo sell T-shirts and Pre Whacked barrels?
Sooo many puns that will drive the T-shirt sales.
“Get the stress out...whack it!”

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Todd,

Send me your t-shirt size. You are now a BWA member.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I can assure everyone that this procedure has nothing to do with the barrel to receiver thread/interface. I have used it on barrels removed from receivers. The most common stress relief method for steel is, of course, using heat, in an atmospherically controlled environment. Used by the best custom barrel makers, such as Douglas's double stress relief process; well proven for decades. However, some other makers do not have as thorough of a regimen, (meaning they are in a hurry) and leave the barrel with "latent" stress, which results in walked shots when the barrel heats up.
However, there is another, less well known, method; Harmonic Stress Relief. That is, in effect, what ringing the barrel with a hammer, accomplishes. Most barrels I, (and the developer of the process who taught me), have applied it to, respond positively; I have only seen about 10 % that didn't respond at all. It is not an exact science.
It is also unfortunate, (although predicable here on AR) to see what was a serious and effective procedure turned into some fairly sophomoric jokes.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,I've never felt that interjecting a little humor into a conversation is negative. Sarcasm, sure....but not humor. Maybe the difference is in the eye of the beholder.

With that aside, you seem to have some experience with this technique and I have a question for you. Have you, or others that you know, tried it on older barrels. I have a M98 Mauser from the late 40s that is a 2 MOA shooter. No telling how many shots have gone through it. Would it be a candidate for the process or does it only work on newer, 'greener' tubes?

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
You need to pay a heresy fine due to not using a BWA approved hammer and not getting certified by one of the Poobahs.

quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
So....

I have been messing with a NIB Model 70 .270 Win Supergrade.

It has had okay accuracy but nothing I'm happy with. My wife has a model 70 Ranger push feed that shoots most ammo made for it sub MOA and a lot 1/2..

I've been using ammo I have made for hers in my Supergrade and I have only been getting 1.2 to 1.5 MOA 3 shot groups out of it. Good enough for hunting but not my ego.

If any other person in the world would have advised this, I would have made fun of them. Me and Mike go way back as far as Accurate reloading relationships are concerned. But the custom knife maker in me understands a thing or two about metallurgy and after some serious thought I can see some validity with this...

So against my better judgement I took my 64 oz. Berry King leather stamping maul, took my supergrade by the action and gave her three sharp and hard whacks about from 4" to 7" from the action on the underneath side of the barrel, put it back in the stock and went to the windy range...

The hammer used. It whacked it hard and left zero permanent marks on the beautiful bluing.

I have close to 50 rounds down the tube of this rifle after break in and I have yet to get a sub MOA group out of it. Until today after I
whacked my barrel.

It was windy today but the first two shots landed in the same hole and the 3rd just a bit left. I think it would have been tighter without the wind.

This load is 49.5 gr. of IMR 4064 and 130 Horn SP. It has shot about 1.2 MOA consistent out of this rifle with the three past groups with this load I have shot. Here's what it done after a good "release" from the result of a good whacking. Best group out of it to date.

Am I extremely skeptical of the validity of this still?.... Yes.

Am I going to whack the hell out of barrels on rifles I'm having a hard time getting sub MOA accuracy out of in the future? Yup....

Your mileage may vary,

Todd

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Some guys are skeptical and some are treating it like a joke. I get that, but I assure it isn't. I, and the guy who taught me the process, have successfully used it more than once. So even though the OP has had two successes, he is just more data points in the line of previous successes.
How to do it; hit it three times on the bottom of the barrel, right where the taper starts to get small. Why not on top? You will leave a big scar on your bluing if you do. Use a one pound hammer of any type. Hit 3/4s as hard as you can. Hold the receiver in your left hand, muzzle down; do not clamp it in a vise.
Here is what I said, further up, for those like me who never read all the posts.
It wasn't the guard screws; I have proof of the efficacy of this process as well. And the OP has two instances in a row that reacted the same. For properly stress relieved custom barrels, such as Douglas's proven process, this procedure won't help (nor would it be needed).
But for lesser barrels, hammer forged barrels, ones not correctly stress relieved by heat in the manufacturing process, then it might work.

quote:
I can assure everyone that this procedure has nothing to do with the barrel to receiver thread/interface. I have used it on barrels removed from receivers. The most common stress relief method for steel is, of course, using heat, in an atmospherically controlled environment. Used by the best custom barrel makers, such as Douglas's double stress relief process; well proven for decades. However, some other makers do not have as thorough of a regimen, (meaning they are in a hurry) and leave the barrel with "latent" stress, which results in walked shots when the barrel heats up.
However, there is another, less well known, method; Harmonic Stress Relief. That is, in effect, what ringing the barrel with a hammer, accomplishes. Most barrels I, (and the developer of the process who taught me), have applied it to, respond positively; I have only seen about 10 % that didn't respond at all. It is not an exact science.
It is also unfortunate, (although predicable here on AR) to see what was a serious and effective procedure turned into some fairly sophomoric jokes.

Boy do I feel like a dud, just now learning how to whack my barrel this late in life.
Never knew what I was missing!

Strange how a few beats with a 1-pound hammer from outside the barrel can relieve stress
when a blow from inside the barrel with each shot does nothing?
Beating off is better than a blow job?
Whistling
Rip ...

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This thread appears to have finally had a retarded ejaculation.

Posts: 28032 | Location: KY | Registered: 09 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
I need to step back and think on this a while. And HOOK! I had a different, more reverent idea of who you are! I may need some time to ruminate on all this. It's just too much. A shock to my system it is. I need time to study my Steyr 9mm by shooting some of those 245 gr Hawk RN bullets. Packy, Rusty, Bandito, and a few other names, but never late for dinner!

one of us
posted Hide Post
MD do you think this technique will make my 9.3X74 barrels hit even closer together? Packy

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well Doug, whacking your barrel is a very holy and reverent technique, bordering on the 'mystical' the way it does. And, I cannot believe that you have yet to try out that 9mm! Shame on you!

I think you may need to lay off whacking the double's barrels....you may end up with two singles.

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just-a-hunter:
quote:

I couldn't imagine living life so...… stoic. Lighten up, dude. You'll live longer.

Todd

Not the first time he's tried to throw a wet blanket on having a little fun on the forum.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hook that Steyr has shot up all the ammo Norman Conquest sent with it. But I need to load some more. Be Well. Packy

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Has anyone else been hammering on their barrels since this thread was made? Big Grin

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Ok, I'll bite. Does a hard plastic or rubber hammer work?

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14331 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There is no mechanical problem so difficult that can't be solved by brute strength and ignorance.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been told by a blacksmith, that when a smith whacks his hammer on the anvil after a few hits on the forging piece, it's to relieve the stress out of the hammer face??
OK, I cant help but ask......
If you whack to many barrels, will it make you go blind?

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
No, you won't go blind but you will get hair on your palms.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
HI, my name is Jerry and I am a wacker......

Ok, having fun BUT it would work, I just never thought of it. You would have to be careful and you might go chasing your wacker.. Reason I say this as a machinist in a other life I specialized in sawmill equipment repair. MANY times I straighten up to 4 inch diameter steel shafts with a 8 ounce hammer and when they were twisted I used the same hammer to stress relief after taking out the kinks. So, this would work.

Keep the Pointy end away from you
www.jerryfisk.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jerry, you jogged my memory when you said sawmill....
I have friend that had a mill. At his place one time he had one of his big belsaw blades leaned up. He said it was out of true, and he would take it up to get it fixed.
When I asked how they did it, he grinned. He said they lay it flat in a box of compressed sand, and go around the outside "whacking" it.
It sounds just like what might be going on with barrels, the vibrations resetting back to the true course.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have followed this interesting conversation from the beginning with some skepticism. That said, I have a 6.5-06 that I built that has frustrated me.

I spent a lot of time and components trying to find a load that would shoot 1.5moa or less. I finally gave up and was about to rebarrel that rifle when I caught this thread.

With nothing to lose I broke down and whacked that barrel with light weight black smith hammer. Yeah, I know, I know I didn’t follow the protocol…..but I was desperate! So it got 3 good whacks!

Took it to the range with 2 different loads that never shot better than 2moa…both loads shot less than 1moa. I was thrilled…that was a while ago…. Didn’t really want to say I was convinced at that point.

The other day I loaded up a bunch of 125gr partitions using RL19 and nosler accuracy load data. At the range this morning that load shot right at .5moa!

Naysayers can laugh, but I’m convinced!

Sign me up!

Z

Posts: 497 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote