THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Two data points do not a test make but they are interesting...
Page 1 2 3 

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two data points do not a test make but they are interesting...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted
So I recently have had two rifles re-barreled on what I would call budget projects; i.e, just kinda want a rifle in that chambering and I don't expect MOA accuracy. If I achieve sub 1.5 MOA, I will be happy.

Interestingly enough, both rifles shot about 1.125 to 1.375 depending on load and bullet. Of course, being the fickle person that I am; I wanted better.

Barrels were a Ruger stainless take-off and a McGowen.

A friend and gunsmith suggested the hammer whack technique; i.e, take the action out of the stock hold it in your hand and give the barrel a smack with a hammer about 6 inches in front of the action.

The theory being a poor man's version of stress relief.

Well, voila!

One now shoots 7/8ths and the other now shoots 2/3 in groups with their best loads.

This of course could be an example of "post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy and notwithstanding Lesson 10 it's interesting.

I believe the key to the technique is putting one foot in a metal waste basket when the operation is performed.

Mike

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Proof read? This makes no sence

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Hammer forged barrels?
Assume you use a no-mar hammer!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only part that is a typo is the “six inches in front of the hammer.”

What he is saying is he removed the barreled action from the stock. Then struck or hit the barrels at some location with the hammer. He reassembled the rifle and shot small groups.

He believes this hitting the barrels with a hammer may caused the barrels to be stressed relieved.

There is some humor in the presentation being if you need to fix something whack it real hard with a hammer.

He is not rifling a barrel. He is simply whacking the outside of the barrel with a hammer and groups shrunk.

Posts: 10570 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
LHeym500 - is correct - I typed "in front of the hammer" but meant to say "in front of the action". I corrected it.

Not difficult to figure out.

Speaking of proof reading - by Pegleg "This makes no sence". I think you meant "sense". Big Grin

Blacktailer - used a poorman's no mar. Ball peen hammer with the end polished with 320 grit Big Grin

Mike

1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10042 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
Stranger things than that been posited. I can see some glimmer of logic in there but would think it would take a heck of a whack; but I am not much versed on Barrel Whacking.
Smiler

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A proven method of getting adequate accuracy out of inaccurate rifles. Those of us that practice this method belong to a small group called the BWA (Barrel Whackers Anonymous). BWA keeps a low profile because the non believers out there ridicule our science so much. Mike_Dettorre's experience is fairly common although his use of a ball peen hammer definitely veers from our common procedures.

BTW Mike, we're still waiting for you to submit your dues to BWA. I'm glad that you did not use our name in your original post before paying them....

Posts: 229 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
For all the skeptics, it is a real thing. Not a joke.

Posts: 17018 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm a skeptic so I'll say maybe the torque on the guard screws was different and now it shoots better.

I've been known to cuss and whack things with a hammer and they NEVER work better but I feel better after I throw a fit.

Don't flame me. I'm just adding a bit of levity.

With that said, I turn the neck on even my hunting rounds. Superstitious or beneficial? who knows.

It IS an interesting concept.
Hey, I might even become a card carrying member of BWA!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Hook,

In lieu of dues, I would like to submit this design for the clubs logo

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wondered if you would catch that, Mike. Cool

The only easy day is yesterday!

Posts: 2757 | Location: Northern Minnesota | Registered: 22 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I try to be observant

Mike

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It wasn't the guard screws; I have proof of the efficacy of this process as well. And the OP has two instances in a row that reacted the same. For properly stress relieved custom barrels, such as Douglas's proven process, this procedure won't help (nor would it be needed).
But for lesser barrels, hammer forged barrels, ones not correctly stress relieved by heat in the manufacturing process, then it might work.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Hook,

In lieu of dues, I would like to submit this design for the clubs logo

OUTSTANDING!

I ran it by the BOD of the BWA and they were so impressed that they have voted you MFL (member for life) and have forgiven all your dues forevermore! Admittedly, using that claw hammer in the logo almost derailed my advocacy for your membership, but I finally won them over because it was the 'thought' that counted....

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
I appreciate the magnanimous generosity of the board

Mike

One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
There is sound Materials Engineering behind this.
While materials expertise is not my specific discipline, I have enough education and practical Mechanical Eng, machining and fabrication experience to recognize that the technique is valid....maybe not entirely predictable in its result, but valid nonetheless.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
How hard of a wack I have barrel I like to wack

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Please considered that since I have done two I am now an expert Big Grin

I did not swing for the fences but I gave it a good solid three (3) raps.

I am sure you appreciate that highly technical description.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike_Dettorre:
Please considered that since I have done two I am now an expert Big Grin

I did not swing for the fences but I gave it a good solid three (3) raps.

I am sure you appreciate that highly technical description.

Being a old farm boy I can relate

Posts: 19305 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
I would like to be a member of the Barrel Whacker Association, North American chapter AKA BWANA
If I get accepted, I will add it to my signature line.

Should the logo have a ball peen hammer or is that splitting hairs?

Thanks for posting this topic. I guess if you have a poor grouper, what have you got to lose? Maybe you can charge $100 a whack with your magical hammer. Where do we ship our rifles?

PS
Should we call you Thor?

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
How hard of a wack I have barrel I like to wack

Maybe it is more art than science. A dark art that is. Barrel voodoo!

Posts: 27589 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
as a kid I used to hang out in [PO's] Parker Ackley's shop.
I seen his smiths put many a rifle in a vice and smack the receiver right over the barrel before even trying to unscrew it.

Posts: 4960 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Well I was gonna use a ball peen hammer in the logo which is what I actually used but the claw hammer ads a certain "bubba" effect to the logo.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Boomer, the group name is Barrel Whackers ANONYMOUS, not association. However, since Mike has drug us out of the shadows and into the spotlight, we may need to consider a name change.

His extensive experimentation with TWO troubled rifles has removed the label of 'voodoo' and 'black arts' from the practice of whacking barrels to fix them. Since the practice is now more mainstream, 'Association' may be more appropriate!

The ball peen/claw hammer matter does need more consideration though....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, and all dues should be sent directly to me!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day, my grandmother used to use the same technique on her TV set when it acted up. Worked like a charm!

One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
In deference to the Chairman, the logo has been updated. But I still believe we should be anonymous.

Mike

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you don't whack it too hard!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3828 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it weird this makes me want to whack my barrel?

Posts: 10570 | Location: Somewhere above Tennessee and below Kentucky  | Registered: 31 July 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Well, it's weird to admit that....Eeker

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Hitting the receiver, however, whilst clamped in the VISE, is a stupid idea and accomplished nothing. Do not try that on your 1917 Enfield for sure. They are very thin and sometimes, brittle.

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Anonymous has a shame or secretive connotation to it as well as addiction. I can see it being addictive to whack your barrel, but an addict would take a good shooter and whack it and that may be detrimental and thus the definition of addiction. I see “Association” as more “out and proud”. Men should be able to whack their barrels out in the open without judgment. Whatever the name, whack on!

quote:
Originally posted by Hook:
Boomer, the group name is Barrel Whackers ANONYMOUS, not association. However, since Mike has drug us out of the shadows and into the spotlight, we may need to consider a name change.

His extensive experimentation with TWO troubled rifles has removed the label of 'voodoo' and 'black arts' from the practice of whacking barrels to fix them. Since the practice is now more mainstream, 'Association' may be more appropriate!

The ball peen/claw hammer matter does need more consideration though....

One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
Quit shaming!!! If a man wants to whack it, so be it!

quote:
Originally posted by Charles_Helm:
quote:
Originally posted by LHeym500:

Well, it's weird to admit that....Eeker

One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
I need more details on this.

Are the three good wax in the same location or do you rotate the barrel and strike in three separate locations?
What weight hammer?
Do you just hold the barreled action in your hand unsupported or do you rest it on something?

I’ve whacked the barrels of various rifles over the years with the assistance of gravity and rocks as well as the assistance of an ATV and fence post but have yet to achieve stellar results from it.

Perhaps BWA could produce an instructional video on this technique

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tree'em, you may have a good point. Us Whackers have always considered whacking to be a private thing and suspected that there were as many ways to whack as there were Whackers. That is why the group is named 'Anonymous'.

Mike's use of a ball peen hammer seemed an aberration, but it worked. The same can be said about how hard and how long you whack it. However, with the practice of whacking emerging from the closet.....uhhh, from the more obscure areas of gunsmithing, maybe it is time to develop a 'how-to' guide to whacking. Maybe it will prevent cases as depicted by Blacktailer's suggested logo from becoming a reality.

This will be brought forward to the BOD.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if we gotta vote on it, I'd like to put in 2 votes for using the claw hammer for the stickers, and patches.
the ball peen hammer just don't look right.

Posts: 4960 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Around here we call a ball pin hammer a hump hammer.

one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Just remember the old saying:
"You can whack your barrel and you can whack your friends but you can't whack your friend's barrel".
It's just too weird.

Have gun- Will travel

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I have had a good laugh, thought about the engineering part of the plan and have a nice hammer and a rifle in the shop so what the heck guess it is time to join the club hammering

One of Us
Picture of DLS
posted Hide Post
Mike, try that ‘whack’ technique on your shotgun and lets see how you shoot next fall.
jumping

Posts: 3831 | Location: California | Registered: 01 January 2009Reply With Quote