New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reinventing the 300 Savage
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is it my imagination or has Hornaday reinvented the 300 Savage with the 308 Marlin Exp and the 30 TC?
Ballistics seem almost identical to factory loads of the 300 Savage and not as hot as some of my handloads-even in the 99.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boom stick
posted Hide Post
SHHHHHH!

they need to sell guns and ammo Big Grin

577 BME 3"500 KILL ALL 358 GREMLIN 404-375

*we band of 45-70ers* (Founder)
Single Shot Shooters Society S.S.S.S. (Founder)

Posts: 27595 | Location: Where tech companies are trying to control you and brainwash you. | Registered: 29 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
I think it was Col Cooper who said "we don't need new cartridges, we need better launchers".

I think it is probably easier and cheaper to tool up for a new cartridge and generate new sales that way, than to design and market a new rifle. Lets face it, if all the centrefire bolt actions rifles ever made were properly maintained and serviced, 90% at least of them would still be in working order.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the 30TC was half way between the 308W and 30-06 .Of course you'll get more confusion like remingtons calling the 280 the '7mm Express' which people confused with 7Rem Mag !! Now all we need is a rifle maker to make a rifle that has interchangeable chambers -one each for each of the different 30 cal cartridges !! Roll Eyes

One of Us
Picture of Claret_Dabbler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mete:
Now all we need is a rifle maker to make a rifle that has interchangeable chambers -one each for each of the different 30 cal cartridges !! Roll Eyes

That is a pretty clever idea. You better patent it before someone from Blaser spots it and hi-jacks your plan. Roll Eyes

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not out to get you....

Posts: 1484 | Location: Northern Ireland | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"I thought the 30TC was half way between the 308W and 30-06 .Of course you'll get more confusion like remingtons calling the 280 the '7mm Express' which people confused with 7Rem Mag !"

I'm not sure which is worse, Remington's labeling of the .280 as 7mm Express or rifle owners dumb enough to not know the diff between Express and Mag. Or a shooting/hunting public gulible enough for a maker to consider just re-labeling a cartridge to persuade gullible consumers to buy their product.

As to new cartridges and/or gullibility, there is the hullabaloo over the new short mags in all their various guises (ultra, ultra ultra whatever). They don't attain magnum performance levels in their various calibers or do anything some existing round isn't doing already. Except sell some more rifles. In the end, if that keeps a factory doors open that in itself may be reason enough.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Don, it works for the car companies. Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of Exit31
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I did not get a 307 in the 94. O wait I know... Money. If I could afford it now I would get the Marlin in the new offering. The whole package is what makes sense, a light weight lever with a high velocity 30 cal round. I can't afford it because my gun purchase budget is in the red. The 375 H&H pretty well made that happen.

For the reloader the new Marlin will be lots of fun and enjoyment for yrs to come, come what may.

Why shall there not be patient confidence in the ultimate justice of the people? Is there any better or equal hope in the world? Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 599 | Location: Canada, NS | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These will be dead and forgotten about in 10 years, maybe less. That .30 TC especially serves no purpose whatsoever.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote