Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Login/Join

posted
I know someone in this group has reloaded a .308 in a 110 gr or 125 grain bullet. How did it do for plinking. The reason I ask is several years ago I tore my rotator cuff and bicep in my shooting arm. I still want to use the gun but don't want to kill my shoulder. TIA

Posts: 4 | Location: rushville new york | Registered: 19 October 2018Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the 125gr serria for deer for years shot and killed well.

But I decided I liked heavier bullets as I became older.

Put one into a deer's lungs broad side they are mush on the inside.

Don't shot fur bearers with them as the off side well be gone.

Don't take hard angle shots with them on big game .

They are fun to shoot.

Posts: 19316 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
this would be for plinking only. I will still use a heavier load for hunting but for the range a lighter load.

Posts: 4 | Location: rushville new york | Registered: 19 October 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot 110gr Hornady V-max and Sierra Varminter in my .308w Tikka they shoot very well.

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nordic2:
I shoot 110gr Hornady V-max and Sierra Varminter in my .308w Tikka they shoot very well.

Ditto with the 110 gr. VMax. When we go pdog shooting everything goes along for the fun and I load both the HB .308 and .30-06 with the VMax.

Posts: 105 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jpost--I shot 110 grain bullets in 30-06 and I could tell no difference in recoil from the 150 grain bullets.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi j post,

I've had rotator cuff repair too many times to mention. I've had a shotgun recoil pad installed on my .270 Win. I can shoot max loads out of it with zero shoulder issues. It might be an idea worth considering.

Posts: 206 | Location: So Cal | Registered: 03 November 2018Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you want really mild, shoot cast bullets with Unique powder.

Posts: 3797 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I have become a complete recoil wimp in the last couple of years. One load I use with the .300 Savage, which is very similar in case capacity to the .308, is 22 grains of 5744 with a 130 Speer hollowpoint. I haven't chronographed it, but QuickLoad puts it around 2200 fps as I recall and it's very pleasant to shoot. Best of luck with that shoulder.

Posts: 964 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My plinking load is 150 gr. Berry bullets with 14 gr. of trail boss.

Posts: 304 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have shot light bullets in my .308 and had reasonable accuracy, no where near the 168 grn BTHP loads though. Would definitely put a nice muzzle brake on it,and between the muzzle brake and moderate velocity light bullets it will soften it to an enjoyable recoil. I re barreled one of my .308's to 6.5 creed, easy job ,and don't have to change anything else on rifle,light bullets ,muzzle brake,soft recoil and deadly accurate fun. You can have the proper twist rate appropriate for light bullets and gain back accuracy.Could even go 6mm creed and go lighter, less recoil.
Scott

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot the 125 and 130 in my 308 mod 99 for deer at one time, and they worked, but I prefer the 150s and 165s these days for hunting..For plinking any bullet will do, its just plinking!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Thread it and use a suppressor for subsonic loads. As a matter of fact it will make mild loads seem like a 22 with the suppressor. Just an idea. Be Well, Packy.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Do the recoil energy math and you will see that light bullets at higher velocities do not necessarily mean lighter recoil. Powder contributes to recoil too.

Posts: 17046 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember that Remington used to offer “Managed Recoil” loads. Not sure if they are still available since the buyout.

Shoot Safe,
Mike

NRA Endowment Member
www.Marionroad.com
www.mausercentral.net

Posts: 934 | Location: Middle Georgia | Registered: 06 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
Last year I bought a ton of the 125gr Sierra Prohunter .308dia. Was thinking they'd be fun in a 300 savage or 308.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3315 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would load cast bullets. Email Western Powder they will send you reduced load data using AA 5744. Lots of fun.

Posts: 457 | Location: NW Nebraska | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Fury01
posted Hide Post
The low powder weight charges with reduced velocity is what really works to reduce recoil. Use 5744 or 4759 or 4227 to launch at under 2000fps and you can shoot all day.

"The liberty enjoyed by the people of these states of worshiping Almighty God agreeably to their conscience, is not only among the choicest of their blessings, but also of their rights."
~George Washington - 1789

Posts: 2135 | Location: Where God breathes life into the Amber Waves of Grain and owns the cattle on a thousand hills. | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WW factory 308s with 125 gr. loads recoil about like my 25-35 if that! I bought a dozen boxes on sale, and folks have shot deer and coyotes with them, nothing over 200 yards that I recall but they killed very well indeed..Lets not get too scientific on the subject..

I agree with packrat, a muzzle brake with a thread protector works like a charm..

A recoil pad only gives the recoil a one inch head start at your shoulder!! rotflmo

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41763 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote