New
Find
Notify
Tools

ruger african
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I wonder if Lipseys is going to do another Ruger m77 african ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wondering the same!

The last one they made, the 280AI, didn’t sell as well I don’t think, due to the bigger than needed barrel contour size. If they will go back to the smaller barrel contours they used on the 275 Rigby, 9.3x62, and 6.5x55, I think they can sell a bunch more.

The last time I talked to Ruger, they were contemplating the next caliber as possibly either a 30-06 or 35 Whelen. I’d buy a couple of each caliber if they will do it.

Posts: 2582 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 26 May 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In 2008 Ruger ran a special batch of the pre African for one year..Its the Hawkeye and is the same gun as the Ruger African in 375 Ruger caliber..I see one for sale in Guns Int. out of the Bill Ruger collection for $2020. sold, and the other for $2000 also in guns Intl..I have one in the box, I test fired it and its a true one inch...This model is a Hawkeye and and the only difference it it weighs 7.5 lbs. naked with the iorn sigts..

My African hunting is over, so I probably should sell it..Its my all time favorite big bore bolt gun..If interested give me a holler, Ill give someone a good deal on it..Its super accurate..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one in 280 ai. One of the most accurate guns i ever owned. A little on the heavy side though .

one of us
posted Hide Post
The 375 2008 version of the AFrican was the test run of the African, and Ruger felt it was a tad light, and it isn't,add a scope and mounts and it an easy 8.5 , perfect for the 375 Ruger..or a 416 for that matter..at least to my mind. It has one flaw in design, the swivel up front is in the wood, not a barrel band.

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

Posts: 41781 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I wish they would use a heavier mainspring.

My buddy bought one of those Rugers s/h in 9.3x62 and it missfired three times in a row. A bit of oil got it going but I doubt many Mausers, with their heavier springs, would be that vulnerable.

Aftermarket heavier springs for Rugers are available but getting them posted to Australia could be illegal.

Posts: 4924 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The one I got misfired, but it had been in the box since 2008, I cleaned it up and all is perfect, the grease was hard as stone..

Ray Atkinson
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120