THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM MEDIUM BORE RIFLE FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Medium Bore Rifles    Varget for heavy 7,62x39 bolt action loads

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Varget for heavy 7,62x39 bolt action loads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anyone used Hodgons VARGET for heavier 150grn+ loads fro the 7.62x39? I've got a suspision that this may be a great powder for 168grn match bullets.

----------------------------------------

If you waste your time a talkin' to the people who don't listen
To the things that you are sayin' who do you thinks gonna hear
And if you should die explainin' how the thing they complain about
Or the things they could be changing who do you thinks gonna care

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use AA1680 for all the loads in my CZ. I found that I got 2200fps and occational one hole 3 shot groups with 26.0 grains and 150gr Sierra's with Remington 2&1/2 large pistol primers. BUT then I noticed that the pistol primers perferated more than I'd like!!

One important thing, if you plan to use the heavier slugs for hunting be aware that they may not function too well at the 7.62x39 velocity. At 100 yds. I had a 150gr Sierra go through the big arteries and both lungs, it exited, on a kudu cow, we found her dead after about an hour of tracking. Not good. At 50 yds the same bullet blew a nice hole through a kudu cow's chest and dropped her in a few yards.

On the other hand 123gr. Hornady's kill deer very well when pushed at close to 2500fps. Probably would have worked better on the kudu cow at 100 better than the 150...

Posts: 763 | Location: Montana | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think Varget is a little to slow for the 7.62x39 case. I think you might have trouble reaching acceptable velocities with a powder that slow.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
. I had a 150gr Sierra go through the big arteries and both lungs, it exited, on a kudu cow, we found her dead after about an hour of tracking. Not good.

I made the EXACT same mistake as you a couple seasons ago. Same bullet only I was shooting a whitetail doe at a range of 130 yds. After a long extended track I failed to recover the animal. I now use the 125grn Nosler ballistic tip at a velocity of 2500fps as my hunting load.

No the varget and 168 grainers will be strictly for punching holes in paper as closely together as possible

I've given up on the LR primed 7.62x39 brass, I now use Remington cases exclusively because of their small primer pocket.

quote:
I think Varget is a little to slow for the 7.62x39 case. I think you might have trouble reaching acceptable velocities with a powder that slow.

That may well be the case, But I think it may be worth a shot. Varget works very well in some other cartridges with similar characteristics to the short russian. The good ol 35 remington comes to mind. both of these rounds are very underbore shooting similar bullet weights relative to their case capacity.

Waylon Jennings

Posts: 329 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 19 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krochus:
quote:
. I had a 150gr Sierra go through the big arteries and both lungs, it exited, on a kudu cow, we found her dead after about an hour of tracking. Not good.

I made the EXACT same mistake as you a couple seasons ago. Same bullet only I was shooting a whitetail doe at a range of 130 yds. After a long extended track I failed to recover the animal. I now use the 125grn Nosler ballistic tip at a velocity of 2500fps as my hunting load.

No the varget and 168 grainers will be strictly for punching holes in paper as closely together as possible

I've given up on the LR primed 7.62x39 brass, I now use Remington cases exclusively because of their small primer pocket.

quote:

That may well be the case, But I think it may be worth a shot. Varget works very well in some other cartridges with similar characteristics to the short russian. The good ol 35 remington comes to mind. both of these rounds are very underbore shooting similar bullet weights relative to their case capacity.

krochus,

does your rifle have a .308 bore? or, are the bullets slugging up in a .310"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
krochus,

does your rifle have a .308 bore? or, are the bullets slugging up in a .310"?

Both my bolt action x39's have a bore that slugs out to .3105 a CZ527 and a Mauser sporter. Despite this I've found NO measurable accuracy difference between .308 diameter bullets vs .311

Here is a thread where I tested this.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=758103434#758103434

Waylon Jennings

posted Hide Post
I have one of these in the ruger 77 ultra lite it is a fun gun to shoot. I use the wolf hp ammo in mine. It will shoot 1 1/2" groups at 100 yds with the wolf ammo. I have the dies and some brass but havent loaded any ammo for the rifle. Its hard to reload when the wolf is so cheap and does so good. I may try it on whitetails this year. Ruger made a run of these rifles for Davidsons a few years ago. I dont understand why they dont put them on the market I believe they would sell great.

Posts: 12 | Location: MS. | Registered: 28 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krochus:
Has anyone used Hodgons VARGET for heavier 150grn+ loads fro the 7.62x39? I've got a suspision that this may be a great powder for 168grn match bullets.

NO, since Varget is slower than both WW 748 and IMR 4064, I don't think you could get enough of it into a 7.62X39mm case to do more than just about get the bullet out the muzzle!

I use H335 with both 150 and 180-grain bullets (180 = Speer .311 RN) and get 2300 and 2100 FPS @ 10' respecively. My load for the 150 is 31.5 grains, and 28.5 grains with the 180. Both shoot well from my CX 527 carbine, and those velocities are produced by its 18" barrel. I see no pressure problems with these loads, BUT they are probably close to MAX! This stuff shoots OK in my two SKS's as well.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
My 7BR is using H335 for 2530 or so with 139's.

Also, 2670 130's, and 2875/120 gr using 2015.

I'd guess burn rate needed for opt results similar 7br vs 762.39

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote