New
Find
Notify
Tools

GIANT RAINBOW TROUT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For myself there are many similarities between hunting and fishing and the likeness between the two. I perceive bow hunting to be the equivalent to fly fishing and rifle to spin fishing. Catching trout on fly is by far my most favorite species and method of fishing so I found the time and means to just that and a special bonus my wife was all for it!

We fished Friday night for 2hrs catching only one with spinning gear and this then allowed me to open him up to see exactly what he was feeding on. This fish was 22" and soon to become the smallest of all the fish we caught!!

Saterday found us arriving at 6:00am for the morning bite and what a day we had starting off with another beautiful rainbow some 22.5". That day we caught and released six other fish ranging in that 22" - 23" range!

The day was more than I could have ever hoped with all trout exceeding the master angler requirements of 20"!

Sunday began the same as the day previous and we both had an absolute blast cathing keeping and releasing some absolute brutes!!! The largest caught was a heavy 27.75" and in second place a 26" rainbow!! The fishing was incredible and so was the weather, not to mention that I was able to share this with my wife who also enjoyed in the experience and outdoor setting. Hope you enjoy the rest of the pictures and you all are cathing where ever you are!

CHEERS

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow!!!
Those are some brutes...Congratulations tu2

Posts: 3430 | Registered: 24 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
For sure! tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Go over to BC. Someone got a 900 lb sturgeon there !! fishing

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mete - perhaps I would catch larger in Ocean? Haha.

Regards

Posts: 623 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 10 September 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Every nice fish good eating also .

I could very well see them stuffed wrapped in tin foil and baked yum yum

Posts: 19356 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of fairgame
posted Hide Post
Proper. Do you put a worm on the hook?

ROYAL KAFUE LTD
Email - kafueroyal@gmail.com
Tel/Whatsapp (00260) 975315144
Instagram - kafueroyal

Posts: 9860 | Location: Zambia | Registered: 10 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
worms on a trout fly. absolute heresy!- BURN THE HERETIC! clap

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13139 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jdollar you sir are spot on regarding the use of worms on fly gear and perhaps the equivalent of a canned lion hunt in Zambia?

Next weekend I will be in search of Giant Brown trout who often reach the magical 30" mark a full 10" over the minimum master angler requirements and perhaps also equivalent to say a four foot three inch Sable?

The offer you know of still stands MR. Baldry and also would include all you can eat Walleye of which my father and I filled our limits on this past weekend! WORMS INCLUDED!! beer

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
I've just gone back to fishing for so e rainbows with my young son. It's a great way to spend a Sunday and he gets excited too!

Nice fish there
K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fallow Buck - nice to hear you and your son also enjoy a little rainbow trout action tell me more. Do you use fly or spinning gear, are the trout stocked or native and what would you say is the average length in your area?

Here in Manitoba for the most part our trout fishery is basically put and take as these trout are not able to spawn without the running water and gravel beds. We do have some brook trout in the north that come out of Gods lake and the Hayes river which are native and relatively large for brook trout that is. The first time I was fly fishing for them using bug patterns watching them rise all over but unable to catch them, it wasn't until I used a larger pike fly that I actually caught one and upon opening him up I found two small mice!!! That larger brown pike fly produced many brookies over 20" and matching the hatch was placed in a different perspective.

one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
AR

We use fly gear but there are a couple of places you can use spin or bait. In Ireland we use spin gear and fly on the salmon but again we can use worm or shrimp on some rivers.

Average size on our rainbows is about 12"-15" but a 19lb brown was taken a couple of weeks ago on the lake we fish.

They are all stocked fish but it's good for the kids and keeps the young man happy that he has success when he goes fishing.

Our salmon fishing in Ireland is all wild fish running the rivers or lochs

Keep the pics coming.

K

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote