Find
Notify
Tools

Photos Needed
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted
I'm an outdoor writer and our government is currently considering banning spears and atlatls as legal hunting weapons in Alberta and I’ve just written a column on the subject for Alberta Outdoorsmen magazine. For the record, I think the idea of banning them is stupid and have made that case in the column. I need a few photos to accompany the column and was wondering if anyone would be willing to let me use a few of your field photos with dead animals or just some shots of spears/atlatls. If you could email me a few high res photos that would be awesome. Thanks, T.J. Schwanky sheephunter at shaw.ca

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
But TJ, What if somebody sees a picture of a spear killed deer in your article and complains?

For the sake of traditional hunting isn't it best that we make primitive weapons illegal? 2020

It's great to hear that there will be more support and exposure to this ridiculous proposal by Alberta F&W. Hope the article hasn't gone to the printers yet, I have some new info for you.

FYI, in a nutshell, our government is considering making the use of spears/atlatls illegal for hunting big game (currently legal) due to a perceived concern that people might complain to the government after viewing social media video/pictures of animals killed using these tools. The point seems to be to proactively appease possible anti-hunting sentiment and complaints by eliminating weapons that have NEVER been singled out for wounding a single animal in this jurisdiction.

I would like to add to TJ's request. In an effort to keep the use of spears/atlatls legal for hunting big game in Alberta, I need to acquire research on the effectiveness and limitations of spears/atlatls for hunting plus copies of any jurisdictional regulations where these weapons are legal to use. Please send a pm, thanks.

Posts: 48 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 13 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Reiter
posted Hide Post
Oops... wrong thread.

Posts: 130 | Location: South America | Registered: 26 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wingnut
posted Hide Post
Click for Spear Hunting Museum

NO COMPROMISE !!!

"YOU MUST NEVER BE AFRAID TO DO WHAT IS RIGHT! EVEN IF YOU HAVE TO DO IT ALONE!"

Posts: 683 | Location: L A | Registered: 23 July 2002Reply With Quote