THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SPEAR HUNTING AND FISHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Spear Hunting & Fishing    $1000 Fly Rod combo for Permit, Tarpon and Bonefish

Moderators: Saeed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

$1000 Fly Rod combo for Permit, Tarpon and Bonefish
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
What would you buy?

I am thinking Loop, but I have a pro-deal with March Hare.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
TFO aren't bad either - finding the best bang for your buck is the best part of buying a new saltwater outfit!

Posts: 217 | Location: BC - Canada | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwana1
posted Hide Post
9weight Sage rod. Tibor Reel.

Posts: 795 | Location: Vero Beach, Florida | Registered: 03 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've a Pate Tarpon on a G-Loomis rod that I'm currently learning on. Found it in my in laws garage in a fly rod case, was my wife's uncle's before he passed. I know not a damned thing about them, but apparently it's a decent set up.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Shelton, CT | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you go to Ebay, you can generally find a slightly used or demo new Sage or G.Loomis rod with a Riptide Tibor reel for a huge discount. Folks try it and give it up pretty quick. Bonus for those of us who love fly fishing.

If you are trying a single weight for all three species, you need to stick with a 10 weight. Otherwise a two outfit solution would be an 8 and a 12 weight.

Where will you be fishing?

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus1:
Where will you be fishing?

South Florida maybe GTMO if my SIL gets a job down there.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jdollar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bwana1:
9weight Sage rod. Tibor Reel.

if you are using a 9 wt outfit for tarpon, you are fishing for small tarpon. i use a 12 wt Abel rig in Costa Rica and it still takes at least 1/2 to 2 hours to land the bigger fish on 20 lb tippet( fish over 125 lbs are quite common)

Vote Trump- Putin’s best friend…

Posts: 13094 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 28 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you will be around Marathon or Key Largo you will certainty encounter some potentially large Tarpon. As jdollar said you can find some sizable Tarpon in the May to July time frame. The 60 to 90 pound class is typical the rest of the year, only they are not podded up as they are in May/June time.

If you are a one rod show over multiple species then a 10 weight is still the way to go if you are interested in the bigger stuff.

I fished Marathon for 20 years and then moved to Panama and Belize and never looked back. Belize is fly fly fishing heaven and Bone/Permit/Tarpon in a day is fairly easy. Not sure what Gitmo has to offer but would be interesting to try.

Good luck and check out the deals on ebay. End of season is the time to gobble up great deals on slightly used equipment.

Just Remember, We ALL Told You So.

Posts: 22442 | Location: Occupying Little Minds Rent Free | Registered: 04 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds good, I'll get a 9 and a 12.

I hate to get in a situation where I am breaking tackle to keep a fish.

Nothing against used, I'll check ebay and see how it goes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FFemt5287:
I've a Pate Tarpon on a G-Loomis rod that I'm currently learning on. Found it in my in laws garage in a fly rod case, was my wife's uncle's before he passed. I know not a damned thing about them, but apparently it's a decent set up.

FFemt.....that Pate Tarpon reel is the Cat's meow! If you decide you don't like/want I will make you an offer on it anytime.

Posts: 212 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 24 November 2008Reply With Quote