THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Kuiu backpack system experiences

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kuiu backpack system experiences
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted
I need to upsize from my 4500ci internal frame pack and the Kuiu has caught my eye. I would like to keep the weight down, and at 4.5 pounds the Kuiu Pro LT 7000 is looking very interesting.

I am built fairly thick through the chest and shoulders, so the suspension system on a lot of packs does not fit me worth a darn(I never understood why this was so until I noticed how narrow a lot of backpackers are built). I like how the Kuiu system has shoulder straps that are adjustable for width and angle, in addition to length.

Specifically, I am looking at the Kuiu Carbon fiber frame, the Pro suspension and the Pro LT 7000 bag.

Comments from any of you guys with experience would be great.

(I am sick of doing the buy & try with packs. I haven't went as far down that road as Larry Shores, but I am looking to finally buy that one "right" pack)

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Jason: Everyone is different. I would suggest that you call KUIU and discuss your issues with their reps. They are very helpful. You're not out anything except a few minutes on the phone. I think that it would go a long way in helping you make an informed decision. Best regards, UEG

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
If you are starting from scratch looking for a new backpack system I would give Stone Glacier a hard look. I have the X-Curve frame with an Avail 2200 but you can put any bag you desire up to 7900. The frames have the ability to adjust shoulder straps up\down in\out which should address your concern.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
KUIU has come a long way in the past 10 years and is building a fantastic pack.

With that being said Exo and Kifaru are the front runners in all the big backcountry hunting groups that I frequent on social media

Posts: 7360 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FMC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Use Enough Gun:
Jason: Everyone is different. I would suggest that you call KUIU and discuss your issues with their reps. They are very helpful. You're not out anything except a few minutes on the phone. I think that it would go a long way in helping you make an informed decision. Best regards, UEG

Yeah, speaking with someone certainly helps. And I know it can be difficult to try one on let alone get fitted, but just like clothes you really need to try them on.
Packs need to be tried on if at all possible.

I've bought several packs without being fitted. Some were ok; others I returned or sold. In no particular order and not trying to dissuade you, I did not like how the Kuiu fit me and returned it. I had 4 kifaru- duplexes and one bikini. Didn't like how the bikini fit. Sold them all after I went to Barney's and got fitted for one of their packs. While in Denver I went to Kifaru and got fitted and bought another duplex.

Even though those are not lightweight packs, all brands mentioned make good packs. But I can't emphasize enough you need to try them on- even without a load I knew which packs I liked and didn't.

Good luck.

There are two types of people in the world: those that get things done and those who make excuses. There are no others.

Posts: 1428 | Location: El Campo Texas | Registered: 26 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I brought my last pack. A mystery Ranch.

I stopped at the factory out let store in Bozeman.

I spent 4 hours there trying packs and getting fitted.

It was well worth it. Just for the fitting

When I decided on what pack. I asked them about a factory second.

Saved a couple hundred dollars. The only defect was a slightly miss sewn seam.

Still full warranty.

If one can go to dealer that has them and get fitted I would recommend it.

Posts: 19290 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TREE 'EM
posted Hide Post
Kifaru, Seek Outside and Stone Glacier are better quality packs in my opinion.

Seek Outside is the lightweight champ.
Kifaru is the load hauling comfort champ.
SG is somewhere in between.

If you can, order all three and return the two you don't like after you fit them, add weight and make a couple training hikes.

My current setup is a Kifaru frame with a EXO bag.

All We Know Is All We Are

Posts: 1213 | Location: E Central MO | Registered: 13 January 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TREE 'EM:

Seek Outside is the lightweight champ.

I'm leaning heavily toward the Seek Outside Brooks. I will probably get it ordered pretty soon and give it a try.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason:

Thank you for starting this thread and please let us know what you decide.

I also have been looking at the Kuiu Pack and was wondering what others might say about it. I am
hoping to go to a few hunting shows and look at a few different options and also speak to some
of the sales rep's. However, first hand knowledge from an actual buyer will be very helpul.

Posts: 2634 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have a Pro Pack with the carbon fiber frame, and I like it a lot. I have two bags. I can't remember what size they are. One is mid-size like 2000-3000 and the other is 6000 plus.

I'd buy another one.

I set it up for my wife to use and she hated it.

I am 5'11 and have a very long back and legs like a dachsund. But it fit me very well, after I set it up for me.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That’s good to know. One member told me hated his. I’m looking hard at the Mystery ranch but I will try this as well.

It sounds like it depends on the individual.

Thanks

one of us
posted Hide Post
All quality packs must still be fit.

I have owned three Kuiu packs, from the original to a newer 6000. The improvements are considerable.

Along the way I bought a used Kuiu pack locally, that was incredibly uncomfortable. I finally met with the Kuiu rep, who showed me I had bought a pack with a smaller frame (for ladies), that I didn't even know existed. He set me up with their new pack with the proper frame and it has been fantastic.

It is hard for most people to understand the myriad adjustments that go into getting a proper fit, and if you start with the wrong frame it will never be perfect. Get help - it will be worth it.

Most pack manufacturers build a one-size fits all (nobody?) pack. If you are the lucky "average" guy, then great. A well fit pack makes all the difference.

Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where would you suggest going in Utah to get ‘fitted’? I’m assuming one of the upcoming hunting shows?

Thanks

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jason P:
Where would you suggest going in Utah to get ‘fitted’? I’m assuming one of the upcoming hunting shows?

Thanks

I've never been fitted, but I have found a lot of value in the pack fitting videos offered by the guys at Exo Mountain Gear. They build great packs and offer great support before, during, and after a sale.

Posts: 3288 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, headed to SCI in a few months. Hopefully, I will find what I need.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
REI used to be a good place to get fitted.

They don't pay anything, and the last time I was in there the staff were pinheads.

Especially now that a lot of folks are making $20 an hour cooking hamburgers.

Posts: 7762 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jason,
The Hunt Expo in SLC will be a great place to learn about Kuiu products and get fitted.
Bill

Posts: 1088 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I may have jumped the gun a bit but the Kuiu sale was too good to pass up. Yes, its quite possible that I could have found a great deal in the future. However, I took a calculated risk and bought this one:

https://www.kuiu.com/products/...riant=40698734641310

My one son bought the same pack as me, as well. My other son went a size bigger.

I am glad to get it early and can therefore start using it and getting used to it. I do still plan on visiting the Kuiu booth in SLC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to give an update. The backpack is so far quite good. However, I would go with the size larger like my one son got. His can be loaded from the top and front. Mine loads from the top only which I find odd and do not understand why they would do this. Otherwise, a good pack.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason:

Thank you for starting this thread and please let us know what you decide.

An update for anyone interested: I ended up going with a Seek Outside custom. It is basically the Brooks bag and frame which I had them add full length zippered pockets to both sides and a mesh pocket on the back of the packbag.

I like the pack and the fact that it is constructed from waterproof material. I opted for no zipper, so the bag is top load only and with the seams sealed it it fairly water tight.

I used the pack on a sheep hunt and it was great.

The only complaint that I have is that the waist-belt has to be very tight to stay in place on my hips. It is well padded, but doesn't stay in place as well as the hip belts that have padding along the top and bottom, with an indentation in between that keeps it straddling the iliac crest.

Second, I wish that I had ordered after they changed to the newer material. I shouldn't complain as this 7,600ci pack weighs 4.5 pounds complete with frame and suspension, but the same pack with the newer material is 3.75 pounds.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason:

I took a look at the site, looks like great packs. However, I could not find the model you bought??. I am curious as to why you went with the top load option (without the zipper). I assume that it's for better moisture protection.

My oldest son and I really like our Kuiu packs and they did wel on the first leg of my sheep hunt (headed back today for the second round). However, They are top load with one small side access zipper. My youngest son went with the largest kuiu pack that can be front loaded. I really like his as it is much easier to pack, organize, and get to your gear.

However, that is a personal opinion and I really like what you chose. The weight is amazing and I am amazed the new packs you discussed are 3.75 pounds- Amazing.

Hope you did well on your sheep hunt....

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love mine, I only have a 3200 bag.

I need to buy a 6500 or 8000 bag at some point.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Seth:

That is good to know. I am looking at a smaller pack for shorter hikes. With the kuiu frame system/setup, the price is very good.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jason:

I took a look at the site, looks like great packs. However, I could not find the model you bought??. I am curious as to why you went with the top load option (without the zipper). I assume that it's for better moisture protection.

My oldest son and I really like our Kuiu packs and they did wel on the first leg of my sheep hunt (headed back today for the second round). However, They are top load with one small side access zipper. My youngest son went with the largest kuiu pack that can be front loaded. I really like his as it is much easier to pack, organize, and get to your gear.

However, that is a personal opinion and I really like what you chose. The weight is amazing and I am amazed the new packs you discussed are 3.75 pounds- Amazing.

Hope you did well on your sheep hunt....

Yes, when the did the material changeover they dropped some options. Basically, what I have is the Unaweep 6300 with tall side pockets and a mesh rear pocket(and no zipper).

I went with top load only for weather resistance.

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Wonderful Wyoming:
I love mine, I only have a 3200 bag.

I need to buy a 6500 or 8000 bag at some point.

Kuiu has their packs on sale, 30% off. I just bought the 3600 that attaches to my existing frame.

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
This is like p/ups Ford,Chevy,Dodge debate but my two cents. I just came back off NM Elk hunt and I use a Stone Glacier X-Curve Frame with an Avail 2200 day pack size bag. This is my fourth experience with packing a bull out with the meat shelf and bag on top. I find the bag just the right size for my gear for day tripping and you can put any bag they have on the X-Curve. On the second trip in and out everything comes out of bag but a granola and water.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC