New
Find
Notify
Tools

2 Person Tent Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am looking for a 2 person tent with preferably 2 entrances for when I use it with 2 men, but will use it by myself much of the time, one entrance is not a deal breaker though. I like light weight, good ventilation, 3-4 season tent. I like a large vestibule for gear storage.

I understand that Hilleberg make the Mercedes Benz of Tents. I am looking at the Hillebarg Nallo 2 GT in Sand color, but there are other models that might work.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/2-person-tents/

I am also open to looking at other brands.

I intend to use the tent for Wildland Fire fighting in Idaho, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, etc. from July to early November and or for hunting Sheep and the like in Alaska.

Thanks.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
No matter what tent brand you buy.

Buy a three person for two people.

Posts: 19313 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For light weight, portability footprint, ease of assembly / disassembly, weatherproofing Kuiu tents are pretty good. 2 entrances. External frame structure is a big plus. I have a Kuiu Mountain Star which is rated 3 season. The Storm Star below is rated 3 - 4 season:

https://www.kuiu.com/global/ba...rson-tent/12108.html

Size wise it's perfect for one person but pretty snug for 2 persons. Not that much room for 2 guys to put gear inside apart from essentials. I would be concerned about using this tent in a fire fighting zone. I think the fabric would be very susceptible to sparks and suspect actual flame would incinerate it in not time at all.

Hunting.... it's not everything, it's the only thing.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
No matter what tent brand you buy.

Buy a three person for two people.

PDS, I expect to be alone more than 90% of the time I use it, so getting the larger 2 person tent with a large vestibule was so that I can have plenty of room for myself and dry gear storage in the vestibule since I may be in it for weeks to months at a time this year. I am sure it will last the rest of my life.

As for the hunting use, my snoring has now gotten bad enough that I think it is now time to haul and use my own tent, so that no one has to listen to me at point blank range.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Base camp is far enough away that embers, flames or the like should not be an issue. Camp location is selected based on that area being safe in any eventuality.

Thanks for yoru input. I wonder who makes that tent for KUIU ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pack two one person tents and a super light tarp for gear, everybody happySmiler

Posts: 1049 | Location: oregon | Registered: 20 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Couple of comments on tents. Single wall 4 season tents will be wet. Meaning they will have a lot of condensation in them every morning and will rain on you. Sometimes you can get them vented enough to prevent it, but not always.

Double wall tents are dryer and a better option in the summer when you want to keep bugs out. They aren't usually 4 season rated, though, but will handle the occasional snow.

Tipi and Mids are floorless, and my preference. I have a Black Diamond Megalight and a Seek Cimmaron. Tons of room, easy to pitch, and light. They are floorless, but you can get a mesh nest to make them a double wall tent in some models. They also have the option of a stove jack if you want to add a stove.

Look at Black Diamond's Eldorado, and awhanee tents. For a double wall, MSR Access and Nemo Kunai.

The only Hillebergs that I have used, I'll never use again. I might as well have been sleeping outside in the rain. Expensive, heavy, and not my cup of tea. Others think they are awesome, so YMMV.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Austin Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
I am looking for a 2 person tent with preferably 2 entrances for when I use it with 2 men, but will use it by myself much of the time, one entrance is not a deal breaker though. I like light weight, good ventilation, 3-4 season tent. I like a large vestibule for gear storage.

I understand that Hilleberg make the Mercedes Benz of Tents. I am looking at the Hillebarg Nallo 2 GT in Sand color, but there are other models that might work.

https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent/2-person-tents/

I am also open to looking at other brands.

I intend to use the tent for Wildland Fire fighting in Idaho, Colorado, Washington, Oregon, etc. from July to early November and or for hunting Sheep and the like in Alaska.

Thanks.

Tents are rated for skinny Hobbits. Always go plus one. So a 3 man tent: https://hilleberg.com/eng/tent...el-tents/anjan-3-gt/

"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid" -- Ronald Reagan

"Ignorance of The People gives strength to totalitarians."

Want to make just about anything work better? Keep the government as far away from it as possible, then step back and behold the wonderment and goodness.

Posts: 3022 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 05 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
farbedo
posted 10 May 2020 23:26
Couple of comments on tents. Single wall 4 season tents will be wet. Meaning they will have a lot of condensation in them every morning and will rain on you. Sometimes you can get them vented enough to prevent it, but not always.

A lot of truth in this comment and I say so from my own experience.
I made reference above to my own 2 man tent, the Kuiu Mountain Star. Of the various tents I have utilised this one, hands down, has been both the most waterproof and least prone to accumulating condensation. I'm not saying nil condensation as sometimes there has been a thin moisture film on the roof underside but never to the point of dripping. This was in conditions when other tents would have been dripping wet. One feature of the Kuiu Mountain Star is the two small vents located at each end of the tent which can be deployed either open or closed. Initially I thought as they are quite small they would not help but I'm guessing their design is probably well proven.
One thing about the Mountain Star I should mention is the floor fabric, a tub design, attached to the inner tent compartment. The fabric is quite thin and the first time I used the tent on slightly stony ground I managed to puncture a hole through this. I was not using the separate tent Footprint ( not supplied with the tent ), a heavier duty fabric which I obtained since. If using the tent without this Footprint it would be wise to lay something under the inner tent base first.
Additionally, if ultimate light weight matters the inner tent can be detached for use of just the outer cover which will give a bit more useable internal height but you would need to carry either a separate tent Footprint or a groundsheet of some kind.

Posts: 1992 | Location: New Zealand's North Island | Registered: 13 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tyvek makes a good lightweight footprint for backpacking.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
I fear that now is not the hour to be camping two to a tent, unless the other person comes from your own household.

I've had heaps of two-man tents, most of which have been borrowed by my kids for music festivals and either come back damaged or not come back. They were not the most expensive tents and most of the models have been superseded, so there's not much point trying to remember what they were. The one we miss most was a Big Agnes dome tent, though, which was not only big but had strut support above the opening. As the name suggests, it was not light-weight and I never took it anywhere on my back Smiler

However, I can suggest some aspects perhaps you could look for.

When hiking, you need to carry everything, so the first thing I would look at is mass. I think it is best for everyone to carry his own tent, even beyond Covid, because people can get separated and I'd hate to be left out on the hill without some cover.

I've got a generic one-man tent that weighs just 1 kg and my son has a hooped Italian bivvy of only 800 grams (about 2 lb). The heavier one at least has a rudimentary vestibule to put your boots in. Most two-man hike tents weigh at least 50 per cent more and often twice as much; having the luxury of a place to put your pack might seem a great idea, until you have to carry it all, so I take a large garbage bag to put stuff in overnight.

Strength can be important but how much do you need? No tent can withstand a hurricane but you might think about where you'll have to camp and - if it's known for wind - get something stouter. If you plan hunting late in the season, you might also look for something double-skinned in the hope of warmth.

Hilleberg's Anaris is certainly light for a two-person tent, but only former boy scouts or those with that second person might manage to put it up. The Nallo may be their best-known style but the weight and price are getting beyond comfortable in my mind. For an arctic expedition I'd be inclined towards the Tarra but I'd want a dog sled to carry it and some philanthropist to foot the bill.

Good luck!

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
I fear that now is not the hour to be camping two to a tent, unless the other person comes from your own household.

Didn't you read where I said not once, but twice that I will be alone nearly all of the time ? If you were going to live in a tent for weeks to months at a time, I am sure you would like some extra room to move around or for gear storage.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Kuiu Mtn Star seems like a good option, except that it is out of stock until July, which likely could be an issue.

Any other brands and models come to mind that are readily available ?

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cold Zero
posted 17 May 2020 00:43
The Kuiu Mtn Star seems like a good option, except that it is out of stock until July, which likely could be an issue.

Can Kuiu supply the Storm Star tent ?
Slightly heavier than the Mountain Star but stronger in rough conditions.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Big Sky Revolution and the Big Sky Chinook 2 appear to be similar to the Kuiu offerings. Both with two vestibules and appear to be quite livable. The Revolution is very light for the space it offers, but I'm not a fan of the cantilevered ends on the third pole of the Revolution.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I saw a video the Guides were wearing KUIU clothing but using The North Face tents. Any thoughts on TNF tents ?

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I have this one tent: https://www.marmot.com/tungste...nt-889169899805.html

It’s on sale now in Marmot’s site. I like the tent and I think that it would be perfect for your purpose.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't think that Marmot has a vestibule. I need that.

Thy emake a quality product and on sale is good, but I don't think that is the one that meets my needs.

Cold Zero

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
It has two vestibules, one in each side. One is smaller and is perfect for gear, the other is a bit bigger and works well for putting on boots and cooking.

I don’t know why the Marmot site doesn’t have a diagram of the floor plan.

Jason

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6834 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
There is a diagram of the floor plan in the middle of this review: https://setinstonemedia.com.au...ot-tungsten-2p-tent/

Jason

-Jason Brown

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

Didn't you read where I said not once, but twice that I will be alone nearly all of the time ? If you were going to live in a tent for weeks to months at a time, I am sure you would like some extra room to move around or for gear storage.

Yes, Cold Zero, I read everything you wrote but while I'm sure you were taking physical distancing into account, it was not made clear.

The problem is that not everyone reads these posts with reference to the OP's interests, but often their own. Recently we have had some opening up of our restrictions and the government probably assumes people will continue to observe physical distancing - but that's not what I see out there. I see people sitting cheek by jowl and old friends and relatives hugging. Someone asked me if it was legal for four buddies to go hunting in one car.

"I don't know," I said, "but I'm pretty sure it's a bad idea."

Therefore, I think it is a good idea to remind people that this pandemic is not over and won't be for a long time.

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, thanks for your input.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I have a Marmot 3P Tungsten. I use it strictly for myself (I don't like to be cramped) especially if I Have weather. It opens on both sides and has two vestibules. I mostly have used it in NM Elk hunting but last year I used it on a later season in Utah. It is three season tent but with a good bag I have never had an issue.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Re the Marmot Tungsten.
I would be concerned about the size of the gap between the outer and the ground. It is unnecessarily big.
A gap is good for reducing condensation, but something as high as that could easily let weather blow in on to the inner.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Well to further convulute things, I heard North Face are not friends with the hunting community. Wouldn’t be surprised if some other big name gear companies aren’t either. Kuiu is totally Hunter friendly and wallet enemy. I tend to go the cheap route, especially if you can get three for the price of one expensive tent.

Posts: 3452 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
The vestibules on the 3p Marmot are not ground huggers but I have been in substantial rain, snow and wind. I did not feel it was a major problem.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Infantry shelter halves; each man carries one, and one set of poles and stakes. Snap together, and set up in 5 minutes. Used since the Civil War, called Dog tents then, later modified to "Pup" tents.
Two entrances; one in the back and one in the front.
Best of all, they cost $35.

Posts: 17045 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Infantry shelter halves; each man carries one, and one set of poles and stakes. Snap together, and set up in 5 minutes. Used since the Civil War, called Dog tents then, later modified to "Pup" tents.
Two entrances; one in the back and one in the front.
Best of all, they cost $35.

Better than nothing, but not by much.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Look at the Tarptent Stratospire 2. It checks the boxes for what you want. I have the Stratospire 1, and it will fit two people who are good friends. The 2 is the same design, but for two, or three in a pinch. I use my trekking poles with mine to save a bit of weight, or you can buy the pole kit.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3810 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
Look at Mountain Hardware, I am in the same boat except I won't let another person sleep in my tent unless I am married to them or they are my child.

Posts: 7763 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Hilleberg Kaitum with two vestibules. Four season tent and great quality . I would use no other.

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
If I were in your situation I'd be looking at 2 separate tents. I can't speak about winter tent camping as I don't like to do it but I've done my share of living in tents away from civilization for extended periods of time where you also had to be physically active during the day and a good nights sleep was critical.
In that situation, for one or two people a 4 person dome tent is the way to go- not only plenty of room to keep all of your stuff inside but important to me is you have close to standing headroom which is really nice when you have to get dressed when it is raining outside. You can also put a chair in it if you like to read.

Dome tents are easy to set up when you are tired or in the dark, if you're dog-tired you don't even have to stake them down just put all your stuff inside. I'd also look at one I'd be living in for several months as possibly disposable if it got too torn up from daily living which happens.

Anyway, that's my two cents, worth what you paid for it.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7756 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark

Due to weight and 1 bag limitations I have to work under. One tent is all I can have.

Does anyone have a Mountain Hardware or North Face 2 person tent they can recommend ?

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
CZ- I Have an OLD North Face V24, maybe comparable to their V25. Solid tent but would never consider it for something like a Peninsula hunt. For your use I would think perfect. Can't help with Mountain Hardware.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
I have a Hilleberg Nanno 2. Great (and roomy enough) tent for two people.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13328 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAR60:
I have a Marmot 3P Tungsten. I use it strictly for myself (I don't like to be cramped) especially if I Have weather. It opens on both sides and has two vestibules. I mostly have used it in NM Elk hunting but last year I used it on a later season in Utah. It is three season tent but with a good bag I have never had an issue.

Is the Tungsten a 4 season tent ? Their web site doesn't give that info. I will be at altitude, with wind and snow, need a 4 season tent. I do like that it has 2 vestibules and 2 doors, nice.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
It is considered a 3 season tent. You should look up what the difference is. The difference between the two in my research was not that much.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Tungsten is a 3 season tent so that is out.

I am back to looking for a 4 season tent that has 2 doors and 2 vestibules.
Besides the Hilleberg Nallo GT 2P

Any suggestions please ?

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Looking through this thread see no mention of Barney's Bomb Shelter.

Posts: 1335 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
REI Quarter Dome

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3313 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote