Find
Notify
Tools

2 Person Tent Recommendation
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SpicyCrabDip
posted Hide Post
I prefer just a quick lean-to in a two man situation.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Well, Cold Zero, have you bought the tent yet? If so, what did you get?

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I have this one tent: https://www.marmot.com/tungste...nt-889169899805.html

It’s on sale now in Marmot’s site. I like the tent and I think that it would be perfect for your purpose.

I ended up with the above Marmot Tungsten UL 3 Person. As some said here, size up one person. The Title of this thread was 2 person tent, but I bought a 3 person based on that advice. I am glad that I did. The 3 person allowed me to have room inside for 2 large duffel bags and a Walmart $10 8" thick air mattress that I blew up with a pump. This set up worked fine for me. The 2 person would have been too small. The Tungsten had 2 doors and 2 vestibules, which is what I wanted. The price seemed like a good value for the money, based on the reviews that this tent received. I did not go with the Black Diamond due to B.D. wanting the consumer to seam seal their own tent, which I think they could better do for me.

The first time I set up the Tungsten was in the dark and I was able to get it together with little issue. There was a small section of pole that was 6-8" long, that I did not know what it was for. I later found out that is a pole repair section, glad I did not discard it. I lived in the tent for the 2 weeks of my Wildland Fire deployment and I am glad I sought out input here from those who know tents more than I. I thank JBrown and all who contributed to my selection.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of RAR60
posted Hide Post
I just got back from my annual NM Elk hunt and stayed in the Tungsten as I previously mentioned for another 6 nights. No inclimate weather but did freeze at night. The guy with me had another tent and I commented again that the Marmot is considered 3P and I can't conceive of 2 people much less 3 in it. I'm also in the camp with BWW that no one sleeps in tent or bed with but but my wife, period! Going in a couple weeks to CO for a 4th season Muley hunt leaving tent at home this year trading for motel.

Zim 2006
Zim 2007
Namibia 2013
Brown Bear Togiak Nat'l Refuge Sep 2010
Argentina 2019
RSA 2023
SCI Life Member
USMC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
For hunting, I like the idea that everyone is on their own for shelter. I much prefer a tarp (or tarp tent) and bivy sack. This combo can be light weight, provide room to keep gear out of the weather, and keep you fairly warm (if pitched in the right place with a good sleeping bag).

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cold Zero:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
I have this one tent: https://www.marmot.com/tungste...nt-889169899805.html

It’s on sale now in Marmot’s site. I like the tent and I think that it would be perfect for your purpose.

I ended up with the above Marmot Tungsten UL 3 Person. As some said here, size up one person. The Title of this thread was 2 person tent, but I bought a 3 person based on that advice. I am glad that I did. The 3 person allowed me to have room inside for 2 large duffel bags and a Walmart $10 8" thick air mattress that I blew up with a pump. This set up worked fine for me. The 2 person would have been too small. The Tungsten had 2 doors and 2 vestibules, which is what I wanted. The price seemed like a good value for the money, based on the reviews that this tent received. I did not go with the Black Diamond due to B.D. wanting the consumer to seam seal their own tent, which I think they could better do for me.

The first time I set up the Tungsten was in the dark and I was able to get it together with little issue. There was a small section of pole that was 6-8" long, that I did not know what it was for. I later found out that is a pole repair section, glad I did not discard it. I lived in the tent for the 2 weeks of my Wildland Fire deployment and I am glad I sought out input here from those who know tents more than I. I thank JBrown and all who contributed to my selection.

Thanks Cold Zero,
What does your tent weigh?

I'm kind of with Biggs300 because tents for more than one tend to get higher and heavier per person, not to mention what happens if buddies get separated but there's only one tent.

Not that I've been following that logic lately. Since my hunting mate hurt his back and won't pack in any more, I've bought myself a Coleman easy-up 6-man, just for me, so I can walk in and out and spread my junk around. My grandson and I used it on the lawn at home this week and he thought it was pretty good Smiler

Posts: 4915 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Marmot Tungsten UL 3P is 4 lbs 3.5 ozs.

It is not currently listed on the Marmot web site, I wonder if it is either out of stock or discontinued.
It was the right solution for me to use by muyself with my gear for an extended deployment.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
quote:

It is not currently listed on the Marmot web site, I wonder if it is either out of stock or discontinued.
It was the right solution for me to use by muyself with my gear for an extended deployment.

Thanks for that.

I guess that's not bad for a three-person tent. My one-man tent weighs a kilogram and yours is only twice as heavy, so at a pinch a third person could be accommodated mass free - a gain if you got the others to carry enough of your stuff.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was looking at the Stone Glacier Skyscraper 2. 4 season 4lb12oz. Two entrances, vestibule, seems like nice 1 person and occasional short term 2 person tent. Scott

Posts: 413 | Location: Ridgecrest,Ca | Registered: 02 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:

I guess that's not bad for a three-person tent. My one-man tent weighs a kilogram and yours is only twice as heavy, so at a pinch a third person could be accommodated mass free - a gain if you got the others to carry enough of your stuff.

Is that 1kg for a proper, double skin tent including pegs and poles ? If so, I would be keen to know what make and model please.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It was the right solution for me to use by myself with my gear for an extended deployment.

Thanks for that.

Marmot makes a Tungsten 3P that is not the UL / Ultra Light that costs less money, but it is heavier. The weight I quoted is with poles, stakes, the stuff bags, everything.

Cold Zero

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Tents are always a compromise between how much you want to carry and how much weather protection you need. But come a twister, even houses and cars won't save you.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Zpacks triplex comes in under 22oz including stakes, has a 5'x7' floorplan with 4" bathtub floor and built in bug mesh. Large vestibules and rainbow zippers on both sides. It's a crazy light super durable 3 season tent, but I've definitely used it in weather that is straight up cold and been just fine (-10°F, +2' snow, +100mph winds). It's not cheap, but it is worth every penny

Posts: 246 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 14 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of miles58
posted Hide Post
quote:
Tents are always a compromise between how much you want to carry and how much weather protection you need. But come a twister, even houses and cars won't save you.

I have a couple of Eureka Timberline 2s and I've been through (1 blizzard with 1 foot+ of horizontal driven snow and couldn't see 50 feet) and two tornadoes in them. I didn't do it by choice, but I did stay warm and dry. I wasn't worried about going over the rainbow, but the trees coming down in the tornadoes were pretty worrisome. The dog lived in the vestibule and he was not happy about the tornado even a little.

Decent site selection and set up will get you through some nasty shit reasonably.

Posts: 958 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote