Find
Notify
Tools

Big Footed gear question
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted
For some reason I now wear a 13.5 EEE or 14 EEE boot. Any suggestions on someone that makes a mountain boot that size?

What are gaiters for if it is not wet? I see a lot of hikers here wearing gaiters, is it just a style?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lowa does. My brother is a 15, I'm a 13. Finding fitting boots is a challenge. Merrell does too if you don't need a more technical boot. But half sizes are either impossible to find, or non-existent.

If I am working, hunting season is too far away to imagine. If I am getting things ready for hunting season, opening day is perilously close.

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
wearing gaiters

I wear them any time snow is involved and I wear them once in a awhile other times they have saved my feet from getting soaked more then once.

Posts: 19361 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gents,

I need more of a technical boot for a marmot hunt in the Austrian Alps later this year.

If I get drawn for a chamois hunt, they will get used for that too.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Lowa. I wear 14's and they have what you need for mountain boots. I have a pair of Hunter extremes I believe they're called for cold weather and my favorite Banff's for earlier in the season. Both are leather uppers.

I pretty much only hunt the alpine country at home so good boots are important to me.

Gaiters are very important when it's cold and wet. Beside not letting water into the top of your boots they also help make your feet warmer in the cold snow. They also keep rocks out of your boots so sometimes I wear a low pair in the summer hiking. Fashion has nothing to do with it. I've worn gaiters for more than 40 years. I won't go without them.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Yup, gaiters are great for keeping stuff out of your boots you don't want in them from water and snow to dirt and rocks. They also keep pant bottoms dry on dewy mornings.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Scarpa. I went from Lowa to Scarpa, not sure if they make boots that wide though...
Stiffer sole, few more options for crampons.

Posts: 806 | Location: Ketchikan, Alaska | Registered: 24 April 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just got done chatting with the pop-up guy at REI. He said Scarpa has no options for wide 14s.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
BWW,

One thing worth mentioning is when you find a brand that has your size make sure they fit your feet. What mean by this is every brand is made on a last that varies by manufacturer. So even in your size range one brand will feel more comfortable and be easier on your feet. Don't depend on "breaking them in". Especially with hiking boots that will take a pounding on uneven terrain they will likely wreck your feet in the process.

Like I said earlier my favorite brand is Lowa, but for somebody else it might be something different. Most brands have models with similar features so pick what you like then find the brand that works for you.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I already have a pair of Lowa 14 EEEE desert boots. They work, I am sure the mountain boots will be fine.

I don't know why I didn't think of that myself.