THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM BACKPACK HUNTING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Hunting  Hop To Forums  Backpack Hunting    Need a light backpack that holds a rifle

Moderators: Canuck
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a light backpack that holds a rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have used Eberlestock for this, but are there other options you have tried and like?

This is basically a horseback hunt and I need a day pack that will carry rain gear, lunch and rifle.

Posts: 10148 | Location: Texas... time to secede!! | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
Not sure they still make them but I've had a Cabelas gun and bow pack for many years and like it a lot. It's proved very durable without being way over weight which in my opinion the Eberlestock packs are. I also like the way the pockets are organized in the Cabelas pack and it's a heck of a lot cheaper to boot.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Charlie64
posted Hide Post

Have a look at Vorn backpacks.

"Up the ladders and down the snakes!"

Posts: 2261 | Location: South Africa & Europe | Registered: 10 February 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
The EXO K2 3500 is one bad mofo. I love it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't one of Eberlestocks drag bags that can also be used as a saddle scabbard and a simple tarp saddle roll with a sling better suit your purpose? With even a simple Army surplus web belt and a couple pouches.

Phil

Posts: 1466 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 04 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several packs including a Kifaru Longhunter , a couple of Eberlestocks and a small day pack from Cabela's. I use a Kifaru Gun Bearer rifle carrier with a couple of different day packs but, the most versatile pack I have is the Eberlestock F1 Mainframe. With 2 batwing pouches and a gun scabbard (or Kifaru Gun Bearer) I think you would be set. I have used it as a day pack on a CO elk hunt and on 3 deer hunts. It has packed out a couple of deer and has proven to carry a load (that I'm capable of to carrying), as well as any pack I own.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.

Posts: 383 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dogcat,

Long time no talk! I have the same problem. Getting too old to hump a 10 pound bag. My research has led me to Stone Glacier 2000 or 3500 and Exo Solo. My issue is also the rifle carry. Neither pack has a good solution. Will advise if I find the right combination. My goal is to have a bag under 5 pounds empty.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd suggest a stone glacier pack, I've been very happy with my 5900.

Posts: 548 | Location: n.e.Mn | Registered: 14 October 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe a lighter rifle...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14370 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm way behind the times. I still have my Kelty D4 from the 70's. Still a great pack.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kelty Yukon 48 specs:

Volume: 2900 in3 / 48 L
Frame Type: External
Weight: 5 lbs 1 oz / 2.3 kg
Torso Fit Range: 13 - 19 in / 33 - 48 cm
Dimensions: 22.5 x 23 x 11 in / 57 x 58 x 28 cm
Body Fabric:
600D Polyester

Reinforcement Fabric:
600D Polyester Small Ripstop

Frame Material:
Aluminum

No experience with heavy loads but the $179 price is attractive.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Badlands Super Day Pack-has a rifle cradling pouch and you can put more than enough in it for a cold, rainy day sheep hunt.I will be taking mine again to the NWT in late August.

Posts: 155 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 30 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mystery Ranch Sawtooth 45 almost makes weight....

Weight
5.3 lbs
Volume
2746 cu-in
Dimensions
29"x15"x12"
Frame System
Guide Light Frame
Harnessing Style
Framed

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

one of us
posted Hide Post
Exo gives you more volume for the same weight....

K² 2000 K² 3500 K² 5500
Weight 4.5lbs 5.1lbs 5.4lbs
Dimensions, Compressed 2″ x 11.5″ x 25″ 3″ x 11.5″ x 26″ 3.5″ x 11.5″ x 26″
Dimensions, Expanded 6″ x 11.5″ x 30″ 8″ x 11.5″ x 36″ 11″ x 11.5″ x 42″
Total Volume (cubic inches) 2950 4200 6500
Frame K² Titanium K² Titanium K² Titanium
Dry Bag Compatible Yes Yes Yes

one of us
posted Hide Post
And the Stone Glacier R3 3300 is truly sub 5lb...

Weight - 4lb 9.92oz. on Medium R3 Frame, Bag only Weighs 1lb 11.84oz.
3,300 cubic inch main bag
Full top panel zip for access to the main compartment
Constructed of all Berry Compliant materials
Hydration compatible
One external zipped pocket
150+ pound load rating (check Design page for load rating info)
Hydration compatible
2,500+ cubic inch expandable load shelf
Belt attachments
Heavy duty YKK #10 zipper
Cordura 500 and Xpac fabric
Heavy-duty, 1" Duraflex military approved buckles and webbing
Made in the USA

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

one of us
posted Hide Post
And the lightest I have found. Seek Outside Perigrine 3500.

Weight:
4 lbs 2 oz. The lightest hunting backpack on the market with this feature set and capability.
Dimensions:

Top Circumference - 41" | 104 cm
Bottom Circumference - 39" | 99 cm
Unrolled Height - 37" | 94 cm

one of us
posted Hide Post
bwana dogo...

Might work for you but it is a bit small for multi day, overseas use.

The Badlands Superday Hunting Pack is used by more hunters than any other hunting backpack in the world. It will carry a bow or a rifle, has a built-in holster for a sidearm, has the ability to haul water, and has a molded foam suspension so ergonomically advanced that it virtually matches every contour of the human form. Package it all up and toss in a healthy dose of the world’s best unconditional warranty and you get one of our best-selling hunting backpacks. But don‘t take our word for it - there are thousands of reviews. Go read 'em yourself.
Molded Foam Suspension
Hip-belt pistol holster
Easy-Access Waist belt Pockets
Five External compression Straps
**SOLID COLOR MADE FROM CORDURA**
Fits Reservoir Size (liters): 2LCarry Compatible: RIFLE, BOW, PISTOLTotal Weight: 3LB 15OZDimensions: 21"X16"X11"Pocket: 7Volume Main: 1440 CIVolume Total: 1950 CI

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT