Notify
Tools

Which backpack?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
What is the deal with Eberlestock?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
I of course can only speak for me. I bought one (can't remember which model) a few years back mainly because "everybody" had one. I used it for a couple years. Than I finally decided other packs I already had I liked much better.

For me they are too heavy at almost 10lbs empty, too gimmicky and I just can't stand the layout. Mine was clearly designed to pack meat first and the rest of your stuff second. Problem is who does that? Most people carry a pack a lot of miles hunting with the secondary need to pack out meat. The places where your normal gear and cloths go isn't very well designed and the main meat carrying compartment for meat is made of a net like material designed to breath. If you use it to carry your gear you need a waterproof bag to put them in because of this mesh.

I did like the suspension system even though it's IMO over built. That's the problem I see with a lot of the new hunter specific backpacks. They market them to hunters who think they need a pack that can withstand a small nuclear explosion. The problem is this adds a lot of dead weight that's just not needed.

As I've said before I have an old Kelty external frame pack I keep in my truck if I'm doing a day hunt in case I need to pack meat. Otherwise I generally use a 3000 cubic inch internal frame to actually hunt with. With this I carry a meat bag and a large trash bag. This gets the first load out and change to the external for the rest of the loads. I only hike in the mountains so no short flat land to the tree stand where I live.

If I'm going on a backpack hunt than I usually use a Cabelas external frame that isn't as high making it easier to hunt with and has a fold out shelf when needed. It and the Kelty have proven more than adequately tough for anything I've ever strapped to them. The Kelty is something like 25 - 30 years old. Both packs only weigh maybe 3-4 lbs each empty. Neither needs to be made any tougher to do their job.

Mostly I think the hunting pack manufacturers are trying make gullible hunters think they need the toughest and heaviest pack going. Unless you're a packer for a backcountry outfitter you just don't need a brick tied to your back before you put anything in it. From what I've seen at least a lot of the hunting pack makers are doing just that. But I've only backpacked and hunted for about fifty years so what do I know?

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with buying packs is that you doni't know if you will like it until you put it on your back.

I ordered a Stone Glacier sight unseen. I hated it from the minute I put it on.

We visited Kifaru Friday. I instantly noted what Farebo said about the pack was true. I loved the way the waist belt tightened except it would not hold when we put 80 pounds in the pack.

Next.

Posts: 11957 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
What are the issues with Kuiu?

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never tried a Kuiu pack. I do not know.

Posts: 11957 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by larryshores:
The problem with buying packs is that you doni't know if you will like it until you put it on your back.

I ordered a Stone Glacier sight unseen. I hated it from the minute I put it on.

We visited Kifaru Friday. I instantly noted what Farebo said about the pack was true. I loved the way the waist belt tightened except it would not hold when we put 80 pounds in the pack.

Next.

Exactly.

It would be nice if sporting good stores had a test drive program to find out if you will like it. Some backpacking stores do have equipment rentals but the choices are usually pretty limited on which models they rent.

I have a room full in the house and two big plastic bins out in my shop with backpacks I've bought. I do admit to being something of a pack whore though. Roll Eyes
My wife has given up telling me I need to let some go.

I would love to be able to design my own but that's not really possible. The best internal frame that suits my fancy is an Arcterx that I use mostly for backcountry skiing. I would hunt with it more but the material is very crinkly sounding. Buts it's light, tough enough to carry my old heavy alpine touring equipped K2 downhill skis & winter stuff and has survived several yard sales. For you non skiers that's a crash where everything goes flying in several directions..... Eeker

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

Posts: 2796 | Location: Washington (wetside) | Registered: 08 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
All high end packs take some fitting to get them just right. You couldn't really go wrong with Kifaru, Mystery Ranch or Stone Glacier. I'm running a Stone Glacier now and it's definitely the lightest and most comfortable pack I've worn. I really liked my Mystery Ranch as well but dang it was heavy!

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Out of all my clients packs that have showed up on mountian hunts farbeo’s seek outside pack was the most intriguing. I even looked up their brooks pack and would be willing to give it a try but man, my back has shaped to a Barney’s frame after 20 years and you can’t beat the simplicity and space. I bet it has 30’ less webbing that most other brands mentioned here. Some packs I look at and just shake my head at the convoluted straps and buckles.

Master guide #212
Black River Hunting Camps llc
www.alaska-bearhunting.com

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is still my favorite.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Seek pack worked really well. I do wish the Brooks bag would have been available for my hunt last fall. Better setup than the minimalist 6300 bag I used.....and fewer webbing straps. Still worked well, and is the most comfortable that I have used yet.

Certainly can't go wrong with the Barney's.

Larry, you didn't say why the outfitter doesn't want you to bring it. Too bulky for the flight in, or is it an issue strapping it to horses?

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeremy:

He referenced getting it in the planes. Hell, I used it in Alaska so I can't see the problem.

I think he also wants the option to thrown them out of the plane.

At this point, all I know is that I hated the Stone Glacier from the instant I put it on. Not one change in hell I will take it. I found the Kifaru bag more comfortable and more interesting from a lot of perspectives. However, the belt would not stay tight. That scared the hell out of me. Perhaps it was simply too small to begin with.

I spoke to Kevin Dana from Barney's while at SCI. He said to send it back to them and he will look. Right now, that is my plan.

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of sheephunterab
posted Hide Post
Which model SG did you try Larry? I can't imagine the Xcurve frame not fitting everyone but we are all different for sure. I've got several friends using the Kifaru and I've seen them pack 100 pound plus loads without issue. That said, the Barney's Pack is a solid pack too.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 27 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I’ve seen the Barney’s pack go over 200lbs on several occasions. Only problem was the spine underneath it.

Master guide #212

Posts: 1396 | Location: Big lake alaska | Registered: 11 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
PostI’ve seen the Barney’s pack go over 200lbs on several occasions. Only problem was the spine underneath it

Your going to regret that when you get old.

Posts: 19362 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sheephunterab:
Which model SG did you try Larry? I can't imagine the Xcurve frame not fitting everyone but we are all different for sure. I've got several friends using the Kifaru and I've seen them pack 100 pound plus loads without issue. That said, the Barney's Pack is a solid pack too.

I think it is the Sky Talus 6900.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
quote:
PostI’ve seen the Barney’s pack go over 200lbs on several occasions. Only problem was the spine underneath it

Your going to regret that when you get old.

I regretted it while I was doing it.

Master guide #212

one of us
posted Hide Post
This comparison of backpacks brings back not so fond memories of the WWII surplus wooden torture packs.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I sent my pack back to Barney's. The difference is unbelievable.

Before I sent it back, I could not walk 300 yards without having to adjust it. Now, in 1.5 hours, I have no need to adjust it. It is FAR more comfortable.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Backpacks are like boots. What fits one guy can be garbage for another. As long as you are buying one that will not buckle under the weight. Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Barneys, Stone Glacier, etc. Then it's all a matter of what "fits" you and personal preference.

Posts: 71 | Location: The Last Frontier | Registered: 03 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This entire pack business has been frustrating. The Barney’s pack was great until it wasn’t. The change was instant from one day to the next. I worked on it for a couple of hours. It was slightly better. I sent it back. It was reworked but did not return to the way it was.

Time was short, real short. I ought a Kuiu, a Sitka, a Stone Glacier and one other I am drawing a blank on. Not cheap! In the final analysis, I didn’t like any of them. I ended up taking the Kuiu. I STRUGGLED! I hate them all.

I just cannot figure out why the Barney’s pack cannot be restore to working the way it used to work. I need to figure something else out. I have another hunt next month.

One of Us
Picture of Cougarz
posted Hide Post
With all the adjustments on packs now they can either be good on one day and bad the next given the same load unless a few rules are applied. Once I've got it adjusted basically where I want it I tend to leave it alone except for adjusting the load lifters on the shoulder straps throughout the day. But even doing that I only make small adjustments. Another thing is to adjust it for your comfort, not how some guy in a store said. Their instructions are only a generalized start for somebody who has never worn a pack before.

Snyd is right about finding the one that fits your body. Unfortunately this can get spendy too. I've collected a bunch, most of which I'll never use again and a few that get occasional use. My wife says I need to thin the herd and she's right.

Bottom line is after 50+ years of backpacking, hunting and fishing in the mountains I haven't found the perfect pack either in features or complete comfort, it's just the way it is I guess. Everything is a compromise in some way.

Roger

*we band of 45-70ers*

one of us
posted Hide Post
Testing a Seek pack in Mongolia soon. Will report back.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting Backpacks - Lanner 5400
The Lanner is designed to be large enough for a 10 day cold weather trip, yet compress into a sleek daypack. A large mesh stuff pocket and two zippered security pockets on the face of the pack make organizing your gear a breeze, and the innovative shroud pocket functions as a lid when the pack has a smaller day load in it.

Handmade in Grand Junction, Colorado, USA.

Lanner Features:
Field Adjustable Frame Height
Rapid Adaptable Compression System (RACS)
Dynamic Belt System
Breakaway Carry
X-Pac™ Fabric
Full Side Zip
5400 ci main bag with fully separating side zipper. Rolls down to 2400 ci at frame height.
Dual side pockets sized for an 85 mm angled spotting scope & tripod.
Front mesh stuff pocket
Three zippered security pockets
Zippered pocket in shroud functions as a top lid with a day load
Hydration Port
Note - Ice Axe Loops have been replaced by a web loop and extra gatekeeper straps. This is a more adaptable system.

Just returned from Mongolia with this pack. I didn't put much of a strain on it. Worked perfectly as a carry on while flying.

The pack is very light, comfortable and rides well. It is noisy and not the best option for a "day pack", unless your stowed items are in separate bags.

Overall, I like it better than MR or SG.

Ski+3
Whitefish, MT

Posts: 858 | Location: Kalispell, MT | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote