New
Find
Notify
Tools

boots by Schnee
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any experience with the following boots from Schnees: Granite or the Beartooth.
Looking for a pair of 9-10" boots with a lot of ankle support.
Aware of the Kenetrek and Lowe offerings.
Checking them all out for fit.
Perhaps y'all could note the durability.
Thanks.
EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
EZ- Give Zamberlan a look. Schnees cut their teeth on the next evolution from the LL Bean pack boot, offering several models that are great boots for that purpose/style. Living in Schnees back yard, I don't know of anyone who wears the ones you mention.

Posts: 1337 | Registered: 17 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Crane,

Thanks, I looked them up. Certainly a good alternative. I noticed they are not insulated so you might need them an 1/2 large of thick socks.
If you are working hard you really do not need that much insulation anyway.
If you sit still that is another thing. Used over boots in blinds in Northern Alberta whitetail hunting.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Schnee makes a quality boot made I the U.S. Beartooth has a nice price tag at $419 and granite is $489. I own a couple pairs of the pack boots and love them. well made and they stand by there product. The pack boots wont provide you the support you are looking for. The 2 models you quoted will. They come with different Flex fits from 1-4 and number goes accordingly to what you want to do 1 for trails and 4 is the most rigid for high alpine adventures. The pack boots are insulated

Posts: 1194 | Location: Billings,MT | Registered: 24 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of the previous version of the Granites with 200G insulation. I think the only difference is the waterproof membrane is Outdry vs Symnpatex.
To answer your questions: I have quite a few miles on them in rough terrain and they still appear nearly new. I did have to go with a half size larger than my typical size (11.5 vs 11) to get the fit I needed with the sock liner/heavy sock I use on mountain hunts. I'm very pleased with the ankle support and the rather stiff sole helps in this respect when sidehilling. If I recall correctly they are Flex 3 on a scale of 4 acccording to Schnees. I had to play with different lacing methods to get them fine tuned for comfort around my ankles, and I guess the trade off for their stout construction is that they are not exactly lightweight. All considered, I'd buy them again if I ever wear these out. Which appears unlikely anytime soon. Schnee's customer service has been excellent. Hope this helps.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eezridr:
Crane,

Thanks, I looked them up. Certainly a good alternative. I noticed they are not insulated so you might need them an 1/2 large of thick socks.
If you are working hard you really do not need that much insulation anyway.
If you sit still that is another thing. Used over boots in blinds in Northern Alberta whitetail hunting.

EZ

Strange for a "Snow" boot. Smiler

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1586 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by twilli:
Schnee makes a quality boot made I the U.S. Beartooth has a nice price tag at $419 and granite is $489. I own a couple pairs of the pack boots and love them. well made and they stand by there product.

Anyone know if Schnees has a sale at anytime during the year ? Black Friday ? Etc.

Cold Zero

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sign up for their newsletter. They throw out sale stuff occasionally. Best deals that I have seen are at the DSC and SCI shows.

I picked up their new Kestrels at DSC this year at 20% off, if I recall correctly. Great boot so far. Super light for a full leather backpacking boot.

Jeremy

Posts: 1480 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 28 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
farbedo

Thanks for the tent and boot sale tips. I will sign up for their newsletter.

Cold Zero

one of us
posted Hide Post
Whites packers are the best outdoor boot ever made and last you a lifetime if every 20 or 25 years you send them back to rebuild to as new...IN fact I found a pair at the city dumb while hauling old wire and they were rotted, I sent them back to Whites and got them back as new, or im wondering if they just sent me a new pair...Everyone should consider them, they also make guides packers..Their are none better, Forrest Service issues them to the firefighter as I recall..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41820 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote